Maternity Bras vs. Sports Bras

Anicole10

Just the three of us :)
Reaction score
I have pretty sensitive skin and have a VERY hard time finding normal bras that don't irritate my skin or cause them to break out. I have been buying the same brand since I was in middle school to be exact. Sadly, they don't make maternity bras so I'm in a rough spot. I have checked literally every store in the mall for a bra that would be suitable for me and have decided maybe I should just settle for a sports bra and pull it up on one shoulder when I need to nurse. Is this a good idea (am I being ridiculous in thinking this may actually work?)? I dont want to purchase anything online...I would need to feel it to know if it would work for me. Any help is really appreciated!

well, i hope it'll work, is what i'm going for too!
if i compare breastfeeding bras and sportsbras...not much difference in how they are build,
just that the breastfeeding ones have a patch you can pull away, but that's the only difference really (for the ones i've seen)

also, last time i checked they didn't even have breastfeeding bras in my size, so i'm screwed either way (unless i develop some serious hooters over the last weeks to come)

It works fine I think. I have bought a few different types of bras, but https://www.laredoute.be/fr/vente-brassiere-de-grossesse-lot-de-2.aspx?productid=324095768&documentid=272311&categoryid=111123062##numberpage=1&pos=39_n_n_n_n_40_n_n_n&source=treestructurenavigation this type is the comfiest, and I've used them while I was BFing my daughter last time too.

I'm already in an XXL sports bra (I had a reduction at 17 and they have already grown back...long before I became pregnant so now their ginormous...and thats without milk production ekkkk!). I can't even find a sports bra that's bigger to allow room for the milk that'll be coming in so I'm hoping lots of ice packs and frozen lettuce will help with swelling as well breast binding. Glad I'm not the only one planning on doing this.

My mom told me her breasts didn't get bigger when her milk came in, just fuller... so I'm hoping I'm the same!

Here is one suggestion I found that I'm tempted to try... you can convert a regular bra into a nursing bra!
https://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html

I bought regular sports bras last time - I didnt bf though and I was fine, my milk came and went quite quickly and I was back in my normal bras after about 2 weeks

Thanks Lisa I'm going to check into that!

I do plan on breastfeeding I just don't know how much engorgement to expect. I'd love to go braless and not worry about sagging lol. Life would be so much easier.

from what I hear, going braless isn't a sagging issue... its a leaking issue... you need those breastpads to catch the leaks!!
I know some women with sore nipples who had to walk around completely topless though, lol! So it is an option :rofl:

I don't know much about the sensitivity thing.. do you know what fabric content works for you? They make some good all cotton bras but of course if its the elastic you have issues with thats a whole other ballpark.
Is it only sensitivity on one part of the breast? (the nipple, the underside etc)?
If so, you could possibly get a brand you're not familiar with and modify it and make a liner or something?

Thats IF you don't want to modify them yourself! :)

Don't they make some sports bras that have a zipper in the front? That would make it somewhat easier to access for feeding. .
As far as going without the bra. .. not sure how that would work for such an well endowed woman. . BUT if you go that route look for a tank that has a built in shelf bra . . not sure if they make them for nursing mommies (they must) but have a couple that I wear now (maternity but not nursing) and they are a nice change from a bra.
There are also some companies that can make to order bra. . my sister is a very large breasted woman and has done this before . . again, not for maternity/nursing but I'm sure they could accomodate you . . . for a price . .that's the only thing . .
Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!!

I'm already in an XXL sports bra (I had a reduction at 17 and they have already grown back...long before I became pregnant so now their ginormous...and thats without milk production ekkkk!). I can't even find a sports bra that's bigger to allow room for the milk that'll be coming in so I'm hoping lots of ice packs and frozen lettuce will help with swelling as well breast binding. Glad I'm not the only one planning on doing this.

I know how hard it is having an extremely large chest (36H here) but the ice pack, frozen letture and breast binding will all majorly decrease milk production if you're planning to BF.

I know how hard it is having an extremely large chest (36H here) but the ice pack, frozen letture and breast binding will all majorly decrease milk production if you're planning to BF.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. I'm going to try as long as I can but I know there's no way I'm going to make it long term without some sort of ice/heat stimuli to get me through it. I learned the hard way from my surgery.

It's not so much the material that gets to my skin as it is the seams and elastic material. I did look into the sports bras with the zipper in the front but the inner lining would drive me wild. As of right now the only sports bras I can wear are from Target...champion brand and they have to be worn inside out to avoid the skin issues. Sadly I'm in the largest size so it's a headache trying to find more. I bought a few back when I was in the 2nd trimester and have been attempting to slowly stretch them out but it's not really working. :dohh:

As for going bra-less targets XXL nursing tank fits me very well and is quite supportive. I'm also looking into the bravado nursing tank https://www.bravadodesigns.com/shop/the-essential-nursing-tank but it costs a lot more than the target one :/

hopefully the champion ones are cheap so if they're too hard to modify you won't be wasting a ton of money, right?

I love Motherhood's sportsbra's. They make one you can just slip on and the have the latch right there at the top. They are super comfy and I sleep in them as well. Also very affordable!

I will have to check out the motherhood brand...that's the one place I havent checked actually!

The champion ones are like $17 each...not too bad.

I too have the exact same problem!!! I have super sensitive skin and huge breasts but a small back and can't find anything that fits me and doesn't make me itch. I'm yet to find the perfect bra... I use a sports bra and a bandeau. The sports bra I lift up and the bandeau I slide down to feed. I have bought 5 bras online and returned them as none fit. I find bamboo cotton the softest I can handle. I went to every lingerie shop in the supermarket and still no luck. Try and find a firm fitting bandeau and keep looking. Also buy a pump incase you need to express because when the get full it will be really sore and they will need some support!

My mom told me her breasts didn't get bigger when her milk came in, just fuller... so I'm hoping I'm the same!

Here is one suggestion I found that I'm tempted to try... you can convert a regular bra into a nursing bra!
https://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html

I am totally smacking myself for not thinking of this. :dohh: This is EXACTLY what I am going to do. I have a favorite style of bra that I wear exclusively, and I have been dreading looking for a nursing bra since I am so picky. I can do this easily and keep wearing the bras I love. I am also thinking I could take some shelf tanks and do this too. Thank you so much for the link!

All I can remember from last time is how sensitive my skin was when my milk came in...it must do something to your nerve endings, so in the end only the softest material would do and I think sports bras can have scratchy seams....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"