Maternity clothes before I need them

snugglebot

Very blessed
Reaction score
I need some advice.

I am still fitting a number of my pants but I am tall, so it will take special maternity stores to get what I need when my bloat turns to a bump.

Unfortunately, where I live, there are no maternity clothes that will be long enough in the legs, or designed for my large bust. I am making a trip next week to a city that has tons of stores where I could stock up.

Any advice on buying maternity clothes this early? (9 weeks) I don't know if and when I will get another chance to get maternity clothes.

I do want some cute summer clothes for a trip I am taking right after my shopping trip and with summer approaching where I live now, I might as well buy maternity summer clothes so I can wear it later this summer when it gets warm...

I assume I should buy things that are a bit big... but what parts should have room to grow? in the hip or tummy? or both? Same with tops and bras.

:help:

I wouldnt buy too much yet as honestly I dont think there is anyway to predict how you'll carry.
I bought a couple of maternity tops early on and by a few weeks ago they were no good as they were too short, and I assumed they would see me through!
Ordinary tops in bigger sizes have lasted me better, infact most of my clothes have just been in bigger sizes, but my best buy is a maternity dress that is cool and flattering and will last and will be ok after the birth too - oh also been wearing some dresses I already had that had elastic bodices and full skirts (like 1950's style).

ANyway, I wouldnt go too overboard with 'maternity' just yet xx

eta about bras, you wont know what size you'll need as it's the overall size that can go up not just cups. I've found sports bras in 2 sizes up are ideal now and they are somewhat stretchy.

hmmmm. unfortunately it's either buy now (in a city for vacation. I won't be traveling again until I am 7 mo) or buy online later this summer but not have a chance to try anything on because where I live there are no places to buy maternity wear for tall girls. I am 6ft tall.

i was told with my eldest you "should" be able to buy maternity clothes in your pre-pregnant size if not the next size up and they "should" last for the pregnancy. but this didnt work as i didnt show until 7months and they had spent ages sat doing nothing and were a waste of money. i only bought a few bits luckily.

as for bras, i havent BF the boys and i'm not this 1 - therefore i have just bought cheap supermarket 1s in the size i need and if in few weeks need bigger size got them.

can you not find a mail order catalogue? that way you can order, try on at home and return if no good.

i wouldnt buy early as said above - you may not show or you may get a huge bump and the clothes dont fit.

Its tricky as you may not need maternity wear until 6+months or you could be quite big in another month or so!

I'm 25weeks tomorrow....
I bought some maternity trousers a month ago, I still don't really need them and they are a bit big over the bump area but I think they should fit to the end - they have a demi-band that sort of comes up the bottom part of my bump and will ithink be quite supportive. I am glad I have them for later as the choice where I live is very limited. I have only 2 pairs of my normal trousers that have gotten uncomfy to wear - the are a bit higher waisted than most of mine. The rest of my trousers are fine.

As for tops - I have been wearing my own longer length stretchy tops and a couple of empire line tops in my normal size. These are still fine I also have 2 maternity tops but there is still too much material in them for me really. the main problem with tops was that my boobs grew lots so they pulled up a bit so my tighter fitted tops look a bit silly.

Dresses - again I have a few and they still fit no problem.

Skirts - most fit except my 50's style high waisted numbers.

Bras is a different matter entirely for me and I have been steadily wrking my way through the alphabet! I had some bought over for me in february and thought they would be too big for the whole pregnancy but maybe ok when my milk came in. Last month I had to buy bigger ones again... So maybe stocking up on some bras could be useful if your size is harder to find.

i know people are saying don't buy early, and that is the sensible thing to do, but if you are excited about being pregnant and want some maternity clothes to wear as your bump appears, i would go for it. just try some stuff on, i would get things that are going to be stretchy and comfy in the styles you normally wear. most maternity stuff i have tried on leaves room for both tummy and bust to increase, i don't really see how far wrong you can go. i have tended to go for a size above my normal size, but that is just because i like clothes to be bigger rather than fitted. i think as soon as you've tried some things on, you'll know what you want, and then as time goes on you might need to get other stuff but by then you'll be used to maternity stuff so you can raid ebay for similar things.

you could also buy /order one of those 'bump bands' which gets you extra wear out of your normal trousers. they aren't expensive and it means when you can't fasten your top button anymore, nobody knows. i have managed to wear a couple of pairs of pre-preg trousers using that, right up until now.

plus if you plan to breastfeed you can use it after baby is born under your top to cover your belly when feeding.

I also agree with not buying to early and have done pretty much the same as JoeyJo. I bought one piece of maternity clothing (I am now 40 weeks) and I have worn it twice maybe. I tend to just buy tops that are a bit bigger than my normal size and I dont seem to have put on any weight anywhere else.

The only thing I would probably advise buying is maternity trousers if you like things going over your belly, personally I can't stand anything above my waist.

Another thing is extra tall people tend not to get as big bumps as shorties as they have more growing room.
I know it's exciting to be thinking of matrnity gear but I think it is overhyped. the amount of people who complain they cant keep maternity jeans up LOL, and you dont get much of a range in shops these days.
Upto you though lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->