maternity clothes on line, what size?

Pumpkinb

Proud parents!
Reaction score
Hi all

Need to start looking at some mat clothes as things I had been keeping to wear when I got bigger like empire line tshirts etc do not fit (size eight)....I thought as they were baggy/floaty around tummy area they would be fine however tried them on at the weekend as weather lovely and they most def do not fit at the bust area (lets say I am busting out:dohh:)
So I have had a look online at ebay etc at maternity wear but I am not sure what size to buy. I know its says go for your normal size but I was normally an 8 but don't think I am any longer due to increase in chest size....should I go up to a 10 or 12?
Below waist has not increase much so I am guessing I can buy my normal size for jeans and trousers?
Its hard as items non returnable so I need to try and get it right!

Hiya,
I have only just started to wear maternity trousers to work, but I have gone with my pre-size (8), and have found them still to be too big! If they have the adjustable waist bands, you can adjust but just wear a longer top to cover the gathering, thats what I have to do until I sprout a little more!

I'm the same. Any mat clothes I've tried on seem to be bigger made than normal clothes if you see what I mean. I normally wear a 12 or 14 but for mat clothes it's 12s all the way and not a size 14 in sight.

I usually wear 14 in trousers but have also bought size 12 which fit perfectly. Although your chest has grown I think a maternity size 8 will cater for this. I would try your usual size and see how you go.

Happy Shopping!!!

it really depends on the shops to be honest, one place (long tall sally) i have bought size 14 mat jeans and they are huge but i got some combats from Red herring Size14 and they are really tight. the best way is if you can get to the shops to try them on. i haven't got any maternity tops as all mine still fit me (i don't have a big bump at all but boobs have gone up 2sizes) i've just been wearing bumpbands to make tops longer xx

hi, i found that im a smaller size in maternity clothes, normally i used to be 12-14 but most my maternity clothes (i only have about 3 pieces altogether) are size 10 and for some reason i dont find maternity clothes comfortable. beach dresses with denim jacket on top are the most comfortable things ever!

It's definitely different from shop to shop. Some brands are designed as though they expect you to double in size all over, others seem to just expect some slight stomach growth! If you can, it's probably worth a shopping trip to try on a few different brands so that you know for sure. If you're really struggling with the size 8 tops though then you should be able to get away with size 10 on top and keep with your normal pre-maternity size for trousers, etc. It shouldn't matter with most tops if they're slightly too big at the worst.

I went for the size I am pre preg and they still came up big.

I would go normal size for trousers, because the elastic waists are normally generous, but maybe up a size for the tops :)

I went to various shops and tried on their mat clothes and wrote down what size fitted then went home and did an ebay search and I got 3 pairs of jeans and quite a few tops which have lasted me from 18 weeks ish til now and possible after as I have bought a few tops that are also nursing tops.

Good Luck!

Emma.xx

Bottoms for the most part have been the same as my pre-pregnancy size while tops started out the pre-pregnancy size and recently I've gone up a size.

As for ebay shopping, what I've done to help is hit up all the Brand name stores in your area (Gap, Old Navy, Motherhood..ect) and try things on to see how they fit and what size you are then when you are on ebay you'll have a bit of an edge when you are looking at the listings.

Its varies place to place as Im normally size 8 and im short . I got size 10 combats from dorothy perkins which are loose but look good. Yet in Next i got some jeans and they were a size 8 Regular and they look good but there is looooaadss of room .

Tops if non maternity i guess it depends on style - with vests i got non maternity and a size 12 came down too low yet looked good everywhere else. I guess it depends on what make they are. Yet in gap i got a mat vest in a small. as the medium were too baggy.

I think I am going to have to get some maternity clothes soon because almost nothing fits anymore! I'm also not sure about what size to get though because I feel in completely different shape than before I was pregnant apart from getting bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->