Maternity Insurance Yikes!

D

Draculisa

So we are in the market for health care coverage and I am realizing that some companies offer additional maternity coverage. However, they seem to all have a waiting period of 6-12 months. What is everyone planning on doing as far as paying for maternity hospital/dr visit costs when you become pregnant? I figure if we can talk about our cm we can talk about this. :haha:

Its always good to be on insurance before you get pregnant ! That way they can't deny you coverage :thumbup: My insurance is good I pay 20% copay on both prenatal and postnatal care for in network and also the same for delivery and inpatient. They have a worksheet showing I would pay around 3000 for delivery if no complications but all hospitals have payment plans. I should add tho my DH gets ins through his work we pay about 360 bucks a month before taxes for insurance on 3 of us. Also if you set aside money every month into a savings account it can help with costs at the end and during the pregnancy . If you save 50-100 a month that is a nice chunk of cash to pay bills with

Everything maternity related is covered through my major medical coverage (employer sponsored plan). We are blessed to have very good insurance, which right now costs around $240 a month for DH and I. Our plan is 90/10 with a $0 deductible as long as we stay in the EPO (exclusive provider) network. Also, there is a $0 charge for OB visits after the first to confirm pregnancy. I still anticipate the out of pocket costs will be $3000-5000, but that might be a bit high, but my theory is that it is better to plan for more and then be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for the replies. So far the "cheapest" rate I have found is Blue Cross but even still it is pretty high . Oh well I have to be insured.

Thank you for the replies. So far the "cheapest" rate I have found is Blue Cross but even still it is pretty high . Oh well I have to be insured.

There are a couple of documentaries (avail on netflix) about the cost of healthcare etc and that going to Canada (where I am) would cost out of pocket including all visits and delivery etc $5000 ish? Not sure if you're near the border or how viable that might be for some of you but thought I'd put it out there for some who may not have work insurance.

:)

Insurance is best to have, it gets really expensive! One ultrasound out of picket is 500 bucks. You will have so much blood work, around 14 regular office visits to check on baby, 2 ultrasounds if you want to check for defects etc. Labor for m sin, vaginal and no complications they charged my insurance 20k! I paid 20 percent at the time. And got the charges lowered a lot, and paid 3000 for labor. And pregnancy. My epidural alone though was 500 out of my pocket. This time I have different insurance. I have a 3000 delectable for me and another for the baby, so I will end up paying 6k, but everything is covered after that, so its good if I had an emergency

There are a couple of documentaries (avail on netflix) about the cost of healthcare etc and that going to Canada (where I am) would cost out of pocket including all visits and delivery etc $5000 ish? Not sure if you're near the border or how viable that might be for some of you but thought I'd put it out there for some who may not have work insurance.

$5,000 is actually a ball point number, even for a problem free birth. I was reading a piece yesterday about how a epidural in Canada can cost you alone $39.00 - $2000 (depending if you go in labor on a weekend or week day and how many top ups) hospital rooms can be pretty pricey. So you could be looking at upward of $20,000 or more depdning on your hospital stay. So it actually can be just as pricey.

$5,000 is actually a ball point number, even for a problem free birth. I was reading a piece yesterday about how a epidural in Canada can cost you alone $39.00 - $2000 (depending if you go in labor on a weekend or week day and how many top ups) hospital rooms can be pretty pricey. So you could be looking at upward of $20,000 or more depdning on your hospital stay. So it actually can be just as pricey.

the cost are as follows:

$2650 for the doctors... everything included, whether it is c-section or vaginal delivery.
$1000 per night at the hospital, all inclusive wheter you'll use the operating room or not.

doctor's fee doesn't have any payment scheme, you have to pay them in advance.
hospital needs $1000 deposit and and remaining balance can be paid in 3 months or longer depending on your communication skills.

my wife gave birth in mississauga ontario. not all hospitals and doctors have the same fee.

good luck to everyone! i already have a canadian son.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-i...ection-in-ontario-without-ohip-t45264.15.html

It's not $20.000 - any "complications" are always going to cost more. As an insured Canadian I wouldn't stay more than 1 night after delivery w/o complications so why would anyone else - esp someone who isn't insured?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->