Maternity leave and sickness

cupcakesarah

Reaction score
My maternity leave is due to start next Thursday. But I had to come home from work today as this past week I've had an upset tummy. When I got home my work called me and said I'd have to provide them with a letter stating whether it was pregnancy related and if it was then I'd have to start my maternity leave. I mean how can you tell with an upset tummy. I don't think it's pregnancy related. I plan on being back in work on Monday.

Honestly what really gets on my nerves is that I am only missing 2 lessons as this afternoon I have leave of absence to go to my midwife appointment. I truly didn't think I could stay at school any longer as I didn't want to be in a lesson on my own and be really needing to go to the loo. Thing is I can't afford for them to start my maternity leave early because even though I finish work next Thursday the actually maternity pay doesn't start until 28th October because I have my half term holiday before that.

Pointless post really just feel a bit frustrated. I can't help having an upset tummy. But I really do want to work till next Thursday.

I would tell work that its just an upset tummy/something you ate. Perfectly common, and actually quite normal during pregnancy as your digestive tract is more sensitive, yet not technically pregnancy related. If you still feel rough on Monday and don't feel we'll enough t go to work, see your GP and ask if they'll provide you with a sick note to prove that it's not pregnancy related. Hopefully you'll be feeling better by then though and can go in next week or your last week. :thumbup:

I would also say it's an upset stomach also if you work at a school and are missing lessons I think school policy's state no attendance for 48 hours due to bugs xx

I wouldn't say a upset stomach is pregnancy related. Its just one of them things we all get. But I know they can start your maternity early if they.think its pregnancy related. X

I'm currently off work due to bleeding, and as I am only 29 weeks, I'm classed as off sick. However if this continues, I will be made start my maternity leave at 36 weeks, which is irrelevant because my leave is due to start at 35 weeks. This is a pregnancy related sickness though, and there is no way of knowing that a tummy bug is pregnancy related so you should be fine!!

Are you a teacher? Half term shouldn't stop your maternity pay kicking in...

Yes I'm a teacher. My point about half term is that if I start my leave earlier than Thursday next week then that is when maternity pay will be. But if I work till Thursday then my maternity pay/leave doesn't officially start until after the holiday.

Just say it's not pregnancy related, how can they prove otherwise. I was surprised how little maternity and paternity pay teachers get (DH is a teacher) so I can understand you not wanting to start leave early. Hopefully you'll be well again by Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->