Maternity leave early?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by khartnett, Oct 6, 2008.

1. khartnett

khartnett Well-Known Member

Hi girls my baby is due on the 19th of December I was going to start maternity leave on the 28th of November but I am finding it really hard at work (ie, with not sleeping much at night it really catches up with me in the day).

Do you recon it is to early to start maternity leave the end of October?

I am in two minds coz i'd prefer more time off after but as I am finding it hard now whats it gonna be like in a month!!

But then on the other hand i'll probably be sooooooooooooooo bored at home!

Descisions, decisions lol

Love to hear back from you. Kasey xx

2. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

I'm going through a similar problem to you. I actually have 2 months left to work (i planned to have my last day on Dec 12th) but I don't know if I can last another 10 weeks either. I really want to spend as much time with my LO as possible but the sleepless nights are catching up with me :(

The girls who I work with all went on mat leave at 31-33 weeks so it isn't too early. You just have to listen to your body and do what it tells you I guess!

3. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

I am on matleave now. I ended up being signed of by my doctor because of healthy issues. I ended up on the matleave floor halfway through a shift with contractions :(

So they said no more work. I started matleave 5 weeks before my EDD. I could have asked for sickleave but it takes so freaking long to get any money for it from the government. I am still waiting on my mat leave pay and probably wont get it until the end of the month.

So here I sit, bored outta my mind hopng this baby comes a week or 2 early haha.

Depending on your money situation etc I would consider it. It is much nicer to be at home now.

4. vicwick

vicwick Expecting baba #2

I'm the same i've brought mine forward a week so i go off in 3 weeks now but it seems like forever away!!! I'm not sleeping well and i have really bad back and pelvis pain but i'm trying my best to stick it out!!! Just taking it a day at a time at the minute. i really don't want to go off any earlier as like you i want more time off after bubs is here!! Its so hard tho!! :hug:

5. khartnett

Yeah that is the only thing that is holding me back really the money situation as I am now on my own (kicked OH out when I was 4 months preggers as he was continually drinking and getting violent towards me).I have got a 5 year old as well.

Mind you saying that don’t you get about 90% of your wages for the first few weeks?? x

6. nessajane

nessajane Well-Known Member

i dont think its too early to leave end of octpber espec if your struggling hun!!
    If your in two minds why dont you meet half way and go on maternity leave middle of nov??

7. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

Depends on where you are in the world and who is your employer lol...

Here I do get %95 of my wages for 2 weeks after matleave begins, and then after that I start getting my matleave benefits. But through the government here it takes forever to process and I can't get any of the money until they do process it, which takes 2-4 weeks.

So basically by the end of the month I will have a giant payment of backpay from them...

But it doesnt help pay the bills right now lol.

8. Lucy&Pard

Lucy&Pard Well-Known Member

I was planning on leaving at 36 weeks ended up leaving at 30 weeks. Got too much and I couldnt handle the stresses of work as well as being pregnant. I thought Id be bored but I thought it was better to be bored than to be ill and I havent looked back! Ive been off for ages (since 25 July!!) and its been great. Im really well rested and organised and refreshed.

9. khartnett

I live in Kent (UK)

10. carries

carries Mother of two under two!

You get 90% for the first 6 weeks of your mat leave then £118 a week for the next 33 weeks. Im leaving in 2 weeks and am on a major countdown. If I could afford it id leave now but I suppose 2 more weeks is doable.

Listen to your body hun and if you cant do it, leave! Do you have any holiday you could tag at the start of your leave? Im having three weeks holiday and then my mat leave so mine doesnt actually start until 38 weeks although I am leaving at 35...

11. Brockie

Brockie Well-Known Member

You just have to consider hon that the earlier you start the less time you will have with baby after, but if you feel worn out then just start it, there is no point in exhausting yourself BEFORE all the sleepless nights etc!!! you need to be as rested as possible!

i have started mine this week only because i am self employed it doesn't make a difference to me with regards to going back to work after, i will just pretty much the whole way through then carry on as normal and work around baby xxx im lucky really in that aspect i guess xx only downside is you don't 'leave' work as such!

12. Mo_mo

Mo_mo Third tri!!!

Im planning on starting my leave at the end of the month (well 2nd nov but its a sunday so it doesnt count!)
    If your work is stressing you out then id say definately take your leave early, you dont want baby getting stressed too... plus just think how much you can get done eg, watchin Jeremy Kyle and Trisha all day lol!

13. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

I think it depends on the individual. I was due to leave at 36 wks but went a week earlier coz I had started to struggle being on my feet for a lot of the day. That said I had been off for 6 weeks before for the summer hols so I may have struggled sooner if I had a different job. My only issue with finishing early is if you go overdue. I finished at 34 wks with my first then went over by almost 2 weeks and it was horrific to be at home for 2 months.

I think you should go with your instincts. You also have a fairly young child to care for so maybe you could use the rest more. x

14. PeanutBean

PeanutBean Mumma to Byron & Indigo

I'm due Dec 9th and finish in 4 weeks, though the first three weeks are holidays. If it wasn't for money I would've finished 2 weeks ago, it's very hard! And I get the luxury of working from home and things. You have to do what's right for you.

15. khartnett

yeah she is at school so id have all day to myself. Yeah 31st of october is looking very attractive now!

16. kim'sbump

kim'sbump Well-Known Member

I'm suppossed to leave on 28th November too at which point i'll be 37 weeks pregnant. I'm also fidning it hard to sleep and wondering if i'll make it till then but i work in a school so have half term in a couple of weeks which will be a welcomed break and i'll see how i do after then. If i didn't have that week off to look forward to though i think i would be bringing my Mat leave forward a couple of weeks. Just listen to your body can't you have a couple of days rest of ill and catch up on your sleep and then go back and see how much you can do.

17. Becky

Becky Jacobs Mummy

Im not leaving till the 24th October!! but im very lucky in the sense my job can be easy going and my boss is very unstanding if im late or need to leave early etc!!

x

18. alio

alio Well-Known Member

I left and I was only about 27 weeks. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so got signed off for first month. I'm sooooo glad I did it. Couldn't have carried on. I needed the time off before. I still have til bout August 09 with holiday entitlement though..... If it's the pregnancy that's affecting you go and speak with your GP. They may sign you off and then you can always add early mat leave if you wish. I felt too guilty being signed off for the full entitlement but that's cause I'm a worry wart. If you are finding it difficult just do it..... xx

19. khartnett

Hi Girls I am going to start working from home from 31st of October thanks for all the advice! Works out well as I am in sales I can do it from home (watching Jeremy Kyle in my jarmers lol) xx

20. Stephanie16

Stephanie16 Well-Known Member

I was due to start my ML on the 7 November but have now changed it to the 24 October as I am really struggling. listen to what your body tells you, mine is telling me to stop working and sleep all do long and I cannot wait!!