Maternity Leave - Occupying your time?

Blondie2008

Mum to the amazing Bethan
Reaction score
I am starting my maternity leave next week. Whilst i am happy to be finishing work because I am SOOOO tired all the time at the moment i am really scared of being at home all day on my own.

I’m not good at all at just occupying my time by pottering about the house and am worried that i'm going to start feeling really down in the dumps. I have suffered from mild depression in the past and am petrified that this might return during the 4 weeks before my due date.

I keep telling myself that now is the time to just relax and I might not get time like this again in my life so make the most of it. But it’s not helping :cry:

How do you girls who have finished manage all day? Any hints and tips?

Blondie xx

I know what you mean, I was worried about falling into a 'rut' and kinda loosing sense of who you are.. all the days just kinda roll into one.

Try and make a plan or some kinda routine. Like Monday could be for cleaning, Tuesday washing, Wednesday ironing, Thurs going into town, Friday catching up with friends/family etc.

Idk if that'll help..? I know if I plan what I'm gonna do the next day I feel better about myself. I hate days where I just sit there and don't do anything xx

I spend my time cleaning the house, do certains jobs on diff. days. I spend time surfing the internet, watching rubbish on TV, reading books and have watched the occasional DVD. I have spent a couple of days with my mum too.

I hate when mon comes around and H has to go back to work as I really enjoy our weekends together. No more spending time cleaning as I do it during the week; so the weekends are our time together.

Cx

There's a bunch of stuff I want done around the house before LO arrives. So I make a list in the morning of things to accomplish that day. It keeps my occupied.

I lost my job at 3 months pregnant but i've managed to keep busy! I make sure i have stuff to do like cleaning, washing, ironing. I'll have a bit of a lie in and take OH to work then have breakfast then sort out the house or do some washing.

Late afternoon i'll read, go to the library, take the dog out.

ATM im getting sore back so stuffs getting a bit more difficult to do!

I can't really relate as I'm not finishing work til 36 weeks and I have TONNES of things to do in the house and for the baby which could easily take up a couple of weeks.

I finished at 36 and a bit weeks and thought I would have been bored if I had had longer but have managed to fill the days quite well! Cleaning, baking, sorting drawers and cupboards, meeting people for lunch, shopping, buying thins on ebay and napping seem to be things that I have been mostly doing!

I totally know what you mean. I also have gone through depression in the past, and being home alone isn't good for it!!

How about cleaning.... like GOOOD cleaning? Go for a walk with your ipod and listen to your favorite music. Head out to the mall, and window shop, and people watch! I love people watching, and it's free!

I've made a long list (the OH keeps adding to :)!!) Evertything thind is on it from defrosting the freezer to packing hospital bags! I thought I would get bored too but just have a plan for each day - remembering to allocate time to put your feet up!! :) xx

This is only my second day off and I have been bored today! I went to see my mum & dad and then had lunch, now I'm back here talking to you. Think I may go for a little snooze soon.

I will have to plan to do something more exciting from tomorrow onwards or the last 10 days are going to drag (I'm being induced on 7th May).

I've already cleaned and got all the jobs like ironing done, so I really am at a loose end. I have also suffered from depression in the past and I really need to make sure it doesn't creep up on me again.

I'm a bit stuck too as walking is really painful and I can barely get behind the wheel of the car with my bump:) so where I would normally go for a run out in the car and take the dogs for a walk, I can't even do that.

It's much better than being at work though - the last week nearly killed me with tiredness and aches and pains! So I'm not going to complain any more :)

Ang
x

I had to finish work at 5 months and I know I had the same worries as you. I think it's important to do things that you enjoy as well as cleaning etc. I have also joined a local NCT group which meets twice a month and there's mums and tots group in our village that I go along to. It's nice to get out and about and meet people. I also made a list of all the things I have wanted to do but never had time. I am reading lots of books from the library, making a scrapbook with my scan photos etc and sewing things in the nursery for the baby. I've also been to stay with my parents for a few days at a time which makes a nice change from being at home. I also make cards and am planning on starting Christmas cards in the next couple of weeks! Hope this helps and you find some fun things to do.

I think I'll go in to town tomorrow and go to the library. I haven't been for ages and that is something I enjoy doing. Thanks Flowers1 :)

I started my mat leave last Monday so spent last week feeling like this. Didn't really know what to do with myself and left at a loose end most of the week, especially when DH was out at work, to make matters worse he works funny hours so starts early afternoon and finishes about 8/9pm so not enough time to do anything in the morning and not enough time to do very much in the evening!

But by the end of last week I started making myself lists of things to do and mentally I've felt better. Feel a bit more organised and have a bit of structure to my day without it being too much.

It is odd though, not being at work and just sitting about at times. Trying really hard not to get sucked into too much daytime tv, because I just end up slobbed in front of the tv and the whole day has vanished before I've realised it!

I am now entering week 6 of mat leave! Just got back from lunch with a friend from work for a catch up, love being a lady what lunches!! OH works a 3 on, 3 off rota, don't know how I would cope if he worked Mon - Fri. I've been for nice long walks, visited faily, been shopping (much more relaxed if you go whilst the kids are at school and people are at work) Decorated, cleaned the flat as well as other little jobs. You'd be suprised how quickly it goes, I have been.

I'm scared of being bored when I go on mat leave too. At the mo - there is little I can do in the house as it is such a mess (everything to go into the nursery is being stored in the dining room and lounge). Equally though - the thought of working much longer hurts my head! Only 8 working days left :)

Thanks for all of the replies to this one guys.

I think what i need to do on my first day off is to sit down and make a list of things that i n eed to get done before the baby arrives.
I am also planning on attending Aquanatal classes on a Friday so thats another thing to do.

I am starting to get very tired in the middle of the day at work so at least i will be able to just relax when i reach this stage when i am off.

I have to say that this forum has been amazing through my pregnancy so far and i'm so glad to know that it'll be there as i go into the last stage.

Thanks All xxx

Thanks for all of the replies to this one guys.

I think what i need to do on my first day off is to sit down and make a list of things that i n eed to get done before the baby arrives.
I am also planning on attending Aquanatal classes on a Friday so thats another thing to do.

I am starting to get very tired in the middle of the day at work so at least i will be able to just relax when i reach this stage when i am off.

I have to say that this forum has been amazing through my pregnancy so far and i'm so glad to know that it'll be there as i go into the last stage.

Thanks All xxx

Ditto - this forum has definitely kept me sane for the past 8.5 months!

I've been trying to do three things a day: something social e.g. meeting NCT ladies, some exercise e.g swimming or walking, and something for the baby e.g. buying last bits, washing clothes. But I know I'm in a lucky position because I've got a car and walking is not too painful at the moment.

this is also my last week at work, im going to look for antenatal classes....good idea...thanks x
im constantly thinking oh no i hope i dont get depressed, my mum and dad live about 1 hrs drive away and they want me to stay over afew days, but i dont wanna sleepthere so will prob go for day trips x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->