Maternity Pay - help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by secretbaby, Jan 26, 2011.

1. secretbaby

secretbaby Well-Known Member

I spoke to our new accountant at work today and he seemed really clueless about maternity pay! I am the only memember of staff that they have had who has gone on maternity leave.

Can anyone give me a quick 5 minute run down of maternity pay if you are employed (25 hours a week - have been there 5 years). So that I can check my pay next month make sure they get it right (they already think they paid me wrongly this month - so i need to work out how much they have overpaid me by).

Last time I went on mat leave - other accountant they totally messed up my pay and it was very stressful - but I can't remember all the ins and outs just wondered if anyone knew!

Thanks!

2. Casey-Jones

Casey-Jones New Mummy!

I'm no accountant and i would imagine it depends where you work but they should have a policy which explains what you are entitled to Maternity wise?

Can you request one from Personnel?

I work 36 hours a week, but i'm in education and work term time only if that makes any difference. With mine i get something like full pay for 4 weeks, 90%pay for 2 weeks and then it goes down to half pay plus statutory mat pay which works out to around what my normal wage would be when i'm working, if not slightly more.

Also, my work have supplied me with a payment schedule, showing how all the pay is broken down and exactly what amount i should expect and on which date. I think you should be entitled to this too?

Sorry if not much help :flower:

3. #1onway

#1onway mum of one

It really depends on your work, as far as i'm aware different companies have different mat pay rates. I would get in touch with your HR dept. Sorry cant be more help x

4. ummar

ummar Well-Known Member

5. tommyg

tommyg Mum to Smurf & TTC

Assuming that your work are paying the minium its 90% of your salary for the frist 6 weeks then £123.50 (check that figure) for the remaining time.

I assume your accountant knows that it is a tax rebate to the company rather than anything else - so when he is doing the company tax payment he deducts your SMP from the amount that he pays HMRC.