Maternity pay UK question.

clucas1988

Reaction score
Need some help on a matter....
Ive been at my job since Beginning of 2013, and we're TTC
my boss has said he wouldnt be happy about paying maternity pay lol
i dunno if he meant in general or if he would be ok with me...
but makes me feel kinda awkward, have i been there long enough or am i being wrong in TTC?
i dont want to cause any problems or be unfair at all.
I do work really hard and have only had 1 day off in that time lol
answers will be really greatfully received!

You are entitled to maternity pay which is paid from the government but comes via your work like in the way you normally get paid. Your work gets re imbursed every penny unless thwy decide to top it up for you - eg if they decide to give you full pay or something.

My boss is same. When I had dd he made it quite clear what an in convenience it all was!

oh really? he said that he had to pay some towards it??
I just felt really guilty in ttc, i mean it may not happen who knows, but im gonna feel so nervous if i ever do fall preg and tell him!
He will be majorly pissed off lol!.
well thanks for your reply :) xxx:thumbup:

You could easily be me 3 years ago!

I felt guilty before I even got preg and then I had to tell him!

He doesn't have to pay anything towards it unless he tops it up. Doesn't sound like hes done it before! Do you work somewhere quite small like me?

My boss made me feel so guilty for taking 6 months too as he said he thought id want to come back sooner to help etc!

He told me id put him in the s*** ! Hes quite old fashioned.

Your def entitled to it though. You don't have to be working somewhere for long at all to be eligible! I think if you got a job the day you conceived you are still entitled to stat mat pay!

Yeah its a small business, I can understand his annoyance, but its not like ive just got the job and got pregnant or knew i was pregnant before i got the job, that would be naughty, ive been there over a year, and im a good worker so i feel entitled to be honest i just dont need the added stress of worrying about telling him if i ever do get pregnant!
i get on really well with my boss, but i am worried about this one lol.
he has paid it twice before, so i dunno where hes got his info from lol!x x

Well maybe tour organisations policy is to top up! A lot of places do.
In my case I was only the 2nd person to take it and I got much worse deal than the previous lady because she agreed to only take 3 months!

Was so angry and upset at the time !
How long have you been ttc?

i bet you were upset! my hubby doesnt really think its a problem but i do, because ive got to work there you know? So i dont want to have an atmosphere. weve been TTC since end of November last year... im trying to eliminate stress and thats a big worry for me , he seems so against maternity pay lol! xxx

I sympathise. .. un fortunately in some work places women are made to feel like this!

Its wrong of him to even say anything though!

When the time os right and it happens it will be much better and easier once you tell him. He then has a legal responsibility to be accommodating etc and all will be fine!

It is harder though when u work for a smaller place rather than a big organisation that has people going on mat leave all the time!

Your much more involved! And like u say- have a closer relationship with the boss!

yeah true. thanks so much for your help on this i really appreciate it. its nice to know someone else had the same prob!
well i guess ill cross that bridge if i come to it lol.
men eh, and bosses!!! x:winkwink:

That's just it. There's no use fretting because when it happens you will have the most amazing journey and you won't mind talking to your boss and telling him because you will be so happy and he will probably be more accommodating than he makes out!

I took the approach of being really honest and giving him as much time as poss to make preparations x

yeah i am super honest, too honest! lol
i was talking to one of the other girls there and mentioned i did plan on having kids and told her my worry and she said not to worry as ive been thre a while and if we all worried that none of us would have kids! lol
which made me feel better. wouldnt it be nice if we were all like beyonce and had noone to answer to lol. im a grown woman i shouldnt feel like that lol!

XX

Thing is when you like where you work and who you work for its not so simple. Thinking about how disappointed my boss would be was one of the 1st things I though of when I got bfp!

But 3 years on I can say it all turned out fine and I still have a good relationship with my boss!

Have fun ttc and I wish you luck ! X

lol you really sound like me lol
yep very true!
well thanks for all your help, and goodluck to you too!
Thanks again xxx:thumbup:

If you want to talk again or if tou have any more worries feel free to message me! Sounds like we aren't that dis similar. .. and same age !

i know i didnt really think when i put my blimin name and age on my username! ha ha! nevermind, yes you can friend me, i dont know how to do that although some people have friended me so i know you can do it!:dohh: lol :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->