Maternity pay working for the NHS?

Nbhoneybee

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i have just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant, i am over the moon only im starting a new job within the NHS next week.. Does anybody know if i'll still be entitled to any type of matenity pay? Or have you got to be with the company for a certain amount of weeks before getting pregnant? I am really worried as ive worked hard for this job but the timing for us having baby number 2 has happened at the same time! I was given a CD with all the policys etc on, but i havent got access to a computer (im using my iPhone) please Help someone! :( x

if you are pregnant BEFORE starting a new job, you won't have worked there long enough to be entitles to SMP or their enhanced maternity scheme; you will probably have to apply for maternity allowance

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyT...ort/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869

hth
x

A similar thing happened to me. I found out a week after starting my new job with the NHS that I was pregnant. So I was pregnant before I started.

I was not entitled to their Mat pay, which I was very disappointed about as it is very good. I think you need to be working there around 6 months or more before you can get it.

But because I had been working another job before I got pregnant, I was entitled to maternity allowance, which you claim from the job centre. You get the full 39 weeks pay at £128 per week. You just loose out on any extra that your employer gives you.

You have to be there for a year before you are entitled to maternity pay.

You have to be there for a year before you are entitled to maternity pay.

:nope: this is not correct, sorry

to qualify for SMP (anywhere) you have to be working for them for a week, then you can fall pregnant.

Who can get SMP?
To qualify for SMP you must have been:

employed by the same employer continuously for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due (the qualifying week)

there will be different qualifying periods for enhanced maternity pay, this is stated in your contract .

x

you will not get smp off the nhs but you can claim maternity allowance form the job centre and the nhs have to keep your job open for you for 52 weeks from the day you take your maternity leave
ma from job centre is arond £125 per week

Hi - I work in HR in the NHS. As others have said you won't qualify for SMP, but you may get MA. However, can I ask whether you are currently working for the NHS and are simply moving to a new Trust for your new job? If you are, and there is a gap of less than 3 months between jobs, then you may be eligible for NHS maternity pay. You need to have been employed in the NHS for 12 months by 11 weeks before your baby's due. If you have this then you will get 8 weeks full pay (less SMP), followed by 18 weeks half pay. Plus you can still claim MA.

How long A service do u have to have in the NHS before u can start trying for a baby and reciveve the full maternity package? I worked in NHS in England for over a year and then started a post with the NHS in n.ireland. However they held me out for over 3 months b4 commencing my new post ( breaking my continuous service and ensuring I lose my entitlements!). I researched it online and it states
NHS occupational maternity pay (OMP)

Eligibility:
Employees must have 12 months’ continuous service with the NHS by the eleventh week before the expected week of childbirth (EWC) and:
Intend to return to work in the NHS for a minimum of 3 months.

This sounds like I can start trying after 11 weeks service as by the 11th week b4 pregnancy I will again have 12 months continuous service to the NHS. Is this correct or am I reading it all wrong??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->