• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Maternity Pay

BlueWater

Reaction score
I've recently been looking at how much maternity pay I'd get. And frankly it isn't a lot. It got me really worried. Because OH is a self-employed painter, so doesn't earn a wage every single month.

It's made me change my mind about having children, like how would we cope?

How is everyone else planning on coping? Or how have you managed before?

I'm sorry to hear that!

My OH is already doing the lion's share of financially supporting us, so we figure we'll be okay. Just hoping there isn't a long off period in construction this winter (he's a carpenter) because last year there was nothing to be working on no matter which company he tried January - April!

It's a really tricky one. My income would literally halve from being on maternity pay but we reckon that we will somehow get by. After all many couples do. I think on paper very few couples can actually afford a baby but somehow you manage!

I'm technically self-employed, so I won't be getting maternity pay. It's looking like we won't have to pay as much in taxes this year and we've built some savings/are continuing to build savings. Also Mr. Otterpup is looking for a better paying job and with is shiny new degree, we are hopeful.

If you rent your property make sure you check your entitlement to housing benefit. Also tax credits. Benefits aren't something to rely on, I much prefer to be financially independent, but if you're entitled then it all helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"