Maternity Towels

ClaireMuir123

Mummy to Jayden and Ava
Reaction score
Hi Ladies!

I'm just getting everything sorted for my hospital bag and wondering about the blood loss afterwards. I ended up with a drain in my stomach after my last baby and cannot for the life of me remember if I used maternity towels or normal sanitary towels. Can someone tell me what 'normal' blood loss is like after giving birth? And what's best to use, for the days after birth and beyond? I feel daft asking this because this is my 2nd baby! :dohh::haha: xxx

its a lotta blood hun, maternity towels are best but still rubbish. someone suggested a while ago about using tena super plus so i have packed those ha ha and some tesco own super ones as they were cheaper. u think how much pee they got to hold so the blood should be a doddle xxx
:hugs:

When i had my first i just took in maternity towels, but with them not having wings i found that they didn't stay put very well. So i used a regular sanitary towel with wings and a maternity pad, that way my underwear was well protected, i felt more confident and fresh and together they absorbed the blood loss very well.

I'll be doing the same this time around. Already got my maternity pads sorted, and i'll be honest i still use sanitary towels just because of slight normal discharge - it's nice to feel nice :) xx

ur supposed to use normal mat pads as they show signes of infection better.

i bled for 5 weeks after having zane and the loss wasnt too bad, i did wear 2-4 pads at a time for extra padding to help me sit down tho lol so i used alot

Ooooh might have to get some of those then! I had looked at them and don't know why I put them back lol. I don't want to pack too many or not enough lol xxx

I used Asda little angels maternity pads and they were brilliant. Nice and comfy!

I used about 3 packs (30 pads) in the first few days. I lost a lot of blood and also they recommended to change the pads often to keep my stitches clean to stop infection. The first day or 2 i used 2 pads at a time to help with cushioning and to prevent leaks.

Once my bleeding lessened i went onto sanitary towels but i only bled for 2 weeks.

I remember the blood after the 1st week or so, mine was awful because I ended up having a womb infection and bled like crazy lol. I think I'll end up packing millions and hoping for the best lol xxx

i have packed the tena ones as i was told they are brill :)

they are quite excpensive though (im lucky though my nanna gets them free so im well stocked up haha) xxx

I used mothercare ones with wings and they were fab, and like others I used two to start with. The hospital provided some when I was in and without wings they were useless. xx

See this is my problem, if I wear towels I need wings, otherwise I feel like they're gonna just fall right out my knickers :rofl: Oh this is something I don't think too many people think about, even having gone through it all before I haven't thought much about the bleeding until now :dohh: xxx

Sorry if this is TMI - but do the towels ever stick to your ladybits due to the blood??
The thought of that with stitches brings tears to my eyes :-(

I used Asda little angels maternity pads and they were brilliant. Nice and comfy!

I used about 3 packs (30 pads) in the first few days. I lost a lot of blood and also they recommended to change the pads often to keep my stitches clean to stop infection. The first day or 2 i used 2 pads at a time to help with cushioning and to prevent leaks.

Once my bleeding lessened i went onto sanitary towels but i only bled for 2 weeks.

Really?? i brought some of these in the Asda baby event :happydance:

Tbh, i brought the ones mentioned above and tons of other sanitary pads like Sainsbury super, Tesco super and Always super :wacko:

im glad you asked this cos i was looking on boots online with my bag in mind the other day and wondered if superabsorbant sanitary pads would do the same job...

Definitely get proper maternity pads as they don't mask any infection like a sanitary pad would. Also I had stiches with my first baby and made the mistake of switching to sanitary pads a few days after birth and it made me REALLY sore because the stiches would rub on the sanitary pad where as they didn't with the maternity ones. x

Normal sanitary towels do the job but my midwife said u need to use proper maternity towels as the normal ones absorb differently and as the other lady said hide signs of infection :D

Maybe a normal one with wings then a maternity one on top?

Xxx

I bled very heavily afterwards for a good couple of weeks and then stopped bleeding all together after about 6 weeks.

I used Tescos and Boots maternity towels with an Always night time pad at the same time to to prevent leaks. I changed them often too as I had stitches and bled so heavy so not too sure how many I used but Im stocking up good and proper this time.

Not looking forward to it lol x

I used maternity pads with wings on i think i got them from mothercare or sainsbury's!!

I bleed for 4-5 weeks after i had zachary and went onto alway night ones after the mat pads after about 2 weeks, i was paranoid tho about leaking onto clothes and stuff, but didnt have any of that.
Also i had stitches and the Maternity pads or sanitary towels didn't stick to my ladybits i made sure they were changed regularly like 5/6 times a day!!

hope this helps

Mat pads are best although more uncomfortable as its like your wearing a nappy. I remember leaking through one in the hospital as there was so much blood the next day.

Here's a questions... so I know in the US our hospitals provide us with special underwear and pads after having the baby... how long does the super heavy flow last though? A week? A few days?? I know the bleeding continues for a long time, but is it heavy the whole time? Or just at first?

Mine was super heavy for about 3-4 days then it went to like a heavy period for about a week and then I had a light flow for about 4 weeks. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"