Maxwell George - Taking his time!

CeriB

Reaction score
Here is our birth story! It is quite long winded as quite a lot happened 😂 feel free to skip the boring parts!

Monday 27th march (38+5) - I went in for a routine midwife appointment at my doctors. I had prepared myself to see my usual midwife and to ask for a sweep. I was stressed! Baby was measuring large for dates, I was having reduced movement, hubbys grandma had passed away very suddenly and he was signed off work due to stress. Things were not going well! Walked in to the room and it was not my midwife! The cover midwife threw me and I didn't know what to do! She started asking me the usual questions and I burst in to tears. She saw my trace from the previous week when I went in for reduced movement and asked about that. DH was there with me and it all came flooding out. She rang the hospital and i was sent in for obs and a scan! The triage unit was really lovely and they did the monitoring and booked me for a scan within a few hours. The monitoring went well but, even though they could see the movement on the trace, I could not feel anything. The midwife at the unit could see how stressed we were and said that was a huge factor in babies movement and that I needed to do whatever I could to relax. Easier said than done! I went for a scan ,and it showed that baby boy was over the 90% line and, as the midwife said "running out of room". She rang the triage unit again and they asked me to head back to discuss induction! At this point I thought they might want to do it that day! DD was at school, I had not packed a proper bag and DHs grandmas funeral was in 5 days 😫 when I got back, they said they would offer to induce me after 39 weeks (Wednesday) if I wanted to. I said yes please! They looked at what was available and Friday morning was the earliest they could do - this was grandmas funeral! Before I even had a chance to say anything, DH jumped in and agreed. The funeral was a 2 hour drive away and that was adding to the stress that if anything happened while he was there, it would take him ages to get back. So, we were booked in Friday 31st March 10am to be induced!

Friday 31st march - I was quite emotional when I took DD to school this morning as I knew I might not see her for a few days. I hoped I would see her the next day when her brother had arrived! Lol! Yeah right! I had my first gel at 1130 - I was already nearly 1cm dilated but my cervix was quite far back. I was monitored for 20mins then told to get up and wonder! I did just that - for hours! Nothing! I had another gel just after midnight, but still nothing!

Saturday 1st April - just after 9am I as seen by the consultant as I had not responded to the 2 previous gels. Well, I say not responded - I was now 2cm and had some tightening show on the trace throughout the day/night but didn't really feel anything. The consultant gave me another gel, stretched my cervix (with his massive man hands 😳) and I started having contractions within half an hour. They said that as soon as possible, they would send me to the delivery suite for my waters to be broken. Yeah! Or so I thought! I was having regular contractions all day as we waited to go to delivery suite. I was checked again in the afternoon and I was 2-3cm and the midwife said I was top of the list for delivery suite! Still no news by 7pm and when I asked, I was told I would not be going up tonight as delivery was rammed! 😔 I was left having regular contractions and the midwife said hopefully I would go myself in the night, but even if I did, there was no room in delivery so might have to have my baby in the antenatal ward! Brilliant! I had some paracetamol and a bath and went to bed.

Sunday 2nd April - managed to sleep and when I woke up, the contractions had stopped! Nothing! I was put on the trace again at 7am and all was looking fine. DH rang and said he would come in about half 9 and did I want anything picking up from the shop. I have him a list of food (i was starving!) and just as we hung up, the midwife came in to say I was going to delivery suite now! 😵 sounds about right! What was nice was, the student midwife I saw during my antenatal appointments was on placement in delivery and had been assigned to me! I'd seen my fair share of students over the passed 2 days so that didn't bother me. And, the fact that I knew her from before was nice! I went up to delivery and the midwife said they would show DH where to go when he got in. My room in delivery was lovely! Huge window overlooking the woods behind the hospital and it was such a lovely day! DH arrived shortly after and I was stuck back on the trace! My thousandenth trace in 2 days! By 10am we were ready and they went to break my waters! The student tried - no luck! The midwife tried - no luck! Twice! They called on their supervisor to try next! She checked me and said I was only 2cm and not ideal. They then had a chat about how I should have gone up yesterday when I was 3cm and contracting as that would have been the perfect time! The supervisor seemed a bit pissed if that I was left so long! Me too!! In the end, she managed to break my waters and they gushed everywhere! Back on the trace! Then up for a walk! I managed to walk down the corridor and stairs, sit for 10mins then the gushing started again! I was next to a bathroom though so that was handy! I went back to the room and paced for an hour! I was getting contractions but they were a bit hit and miss. I was checked at 11am and had started to progress but not a massive amount. I was to be checked again at 12pm and if not contracting at least 4 in 10mins, I would be started on the drip. I carried on pacing and leaking until 12pm! At this check, I was no further along so the drip was needed! I'm pretty sure he did not want to come out! I started the drip at 1.45pm, after 3 failed attempts to get the cannula in! Things were not going right for me! They start the drip at 6mg and up it every half hour. Contractions did start to pick up but slowly! I got up to 24mg by 3pm and the contractions were going crazy! I was on gas and air by this point and lost track of time! I stayed at 24mg for an hour as the contractions were really crazy and the midwife wanted them to stabilise. They did and she upped the drip to 36mg.😫 again, the contractions went crazy but settled down. By 4.30pm I was, finally, in established labour! All I really remember after this point was gas and air, chat, gas and air, chat! On repeat! Then the pressure started! I had no idea what I was doing and kept saying to the midwife "I don't if I want to push or if I'm trying to stop pushing!" Her reply "keep doing what your doing!" I didn't know what I was doing! Poor DH! I squeezed his hand so much he had to let go to regain blood pressure! 😂 I was getting cramp in my right hand from holding the gas and air tube and muscle ache in my left from squeezing and locking out my arm during contractions! When DD was born, I don't remember the pressure of trying to push her out. I genuinely don't think it was that intense! I'm guessing it was the wham-bam-thank-you-mam of the drip that made it more intense as I pushed for 24 minutes before he was born. 6.21pm my little born was out and placed straight on my chest 💙 His chord was around his neck and then tucked under his arm so they had to detangle him first, but there he was! I couldn't quite believe it - after the past 3 days, I was actually holding my little boy! Me and DH spent ages just staring at him and I was still holding him as they stitched me up! That was a whole other story 😬 He weighed in at 8lb 11oz. We had sent our announcement messages and got a reply from our daughter (on her grans phone) which made me cry! I was chuffing down gas and air whilst being stitched up, so crying made everyone worry I was in too much pain! 😂 DH told them about the message and my student midwife nearly cried! DD was in to see us by 745pm which was the most amazing experience 😍 she is so much in love with her little brother, it makes me want to cry when I see them together! After a quick shower I packed up and went down to the ward. I was there and settled by 9pm! Hubby went home and I settled down with my newborn son 💙 Maxwell George 💙

:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

AWWWWW. How cute! Im sorry he made a slow appearance but he is worth it!!

We had a bit of a rough first week too!

I was discharged on Monday and went home to see DD! She was very excited!! I was bf and Maxwell seemed to be doing well. I was a bit worried that he didn't seem to be swallowing much but was reassured that he would only be taking small amounts each time and he nursed and slept quite a lot that first day and night. Tuesday morning, midwife came to visit in the morning and I mentioned that he was a bit drowsy and didn't seem to feeding brilliantly. She checked him over and said that he looked a bit jaundice. I went in to the midwife unit for a jaundice test and his numbers were 178 (250 being treatment level). I was sent home and told to make sure he feeds every 3hours minimum and to watch his nappies. Things went downhill from there. The rest of the day and night, he slept. I had to wake him for feeds but he rarely woke up, even when we stripped him off. We tried everything to wake him and he barely roused. I tried to feed him at every opportunity but he took very little. Midwife came back on Wednesday and said that he was definitely jaundice. His numbers were now 248. I could tell she was debating with herself about what to do as she weighed him. That sealed the deal; he lost 11.2% and was now 7lb 11oz. She was readmitting us. She rang the hospital and was on the phone to them for ages trying to get us in. No one wanted to see us but she was not backing down. The Childresn Assessment Unit agreed to see us and in we went. Upon arrival, they did all the usual tests and observations and things went a bit crazy. He had a blood test which showed high levels for jaundice, low blood sugar and high sodium levels. They wanted me to feed him and I was trying but he was so fatigued that he would not latch at all. They got me a formula bottle and after a few minutes, he started drinking it. Even that was a bit tough as he was so sleepy, he just would not suck/swallow. I was seen by 2 doctors who said that, once moved to the Children's Ward, Maxwell would be put on a drip and put under the phototherapy booth. 😞 I cried several hundred times! Hubby had to go home with DD and left around 730. We were being admitted anyway so there was little he could do- he was better off with DD at home.

When I got to the ward, the doctors said that the drip and phototherapy would wait as they needed to monitor his sodium and sugar levels. I needed to feed him every 3h; they wanted me to bf then top up with a bottle. I was given a breast pump and told to start expressing to use as the top up. They did give me a few formula bottles to get started with. So, I would bf (or try) for anywhere from 10-40 minutes, top up with a bottle for 30mins then express for an hour. Expressing for an hour got me 20ml so I would still need to top up with formula as they wanted him to have at least 50ml top up. This routine would start again pretty much as soon as it finished! I couldn't keep up! The nurses had to check blood sugar before and after every feed, which involved a 2 heel pricks every 3h. He was having obs every 4h, blood tests every 6h. This went on for 3days! In this time, he did start to gain weight again and was becoming more awake. However, bf was not working. I was trying to feed him each time, but he was just not taking it. He struggled to even take a bottle sometimes and he didn't even have to work at that!

We were discharged on Friday with open access to the ward over the weekend. While he was still drowsy and sleepy, he had regained some weight and his bloods were coming back normal. Saturday saw the end of my bf journey. He just would not latch to me all day. He was taking the bottles well at this point and, although I was attached to my breast pump, it was unable to express enough to not need formula. This was very difficult for me to accept, and still is now. I struggle with the fact that I can't feed him the way I fed DD. However, he needs what he needs and that is milk - wherever it comes from.

I went back in on Tuesday for a review and he gained loads of weight! He was not at his birth weight, but had gone up to 8lb7oz. They wanted to see him one more time before they were happy to discharge properly. We went back on Friday (one week after being discharged from the ward) and he weighed 8lb 10oz. 1oz off his birth weight 💙 They discharged us with a clean bill of health and said we needed to have him weighed once a week until we are happy he is gaining well. His feeding should stay at 3h until we are happy that he is waking himself when hungry.

This week was so difficult as I could not help comparing him to DD. She bf on demand and was very demanding! She would not sleep anywhere other than on me and sometimes not even then! She was a screamer from 4pm-11pm most evenings and cluster fed like a crazy women! Maxwell was not like that! I know his jaundice was the main factor here but it still baffles me that I can have 2 children on the opposite end of the scale! Even now, Maxwell is settled and content. He has a bottle every 3-4hours and sleeps well. He has more and more awake time, where he is content to look around or chill on a play mat. He rarely cries and seems to love bath time!i have thought about trying him with bf again but I don't think we will. I have tried to offer him breast, but he faffs around, shakes his head, gets frustrated when he tries to latch. I don't want to do that to him. He is happy the way he is.

If you have gotten this far - thank you! It has helped me to write it all down and hopefully, when I look back on it in a few months times, I will be more accepting of what happened and safe in the knowledge that my gorgeous little boy is flourishing and thriving in our amazing family 💗

:hugs: aww momma, you have done well!! My dd2 was jaundice too! Her level was 19 and 21 causes brain issues. She was 2wks old and they had to admit her. I was able to breastfeed her through it though. None of my other 2 had jaundice!

IMO I think the first BFing issue was they told you top off with it and gave you the bottles. Then they gave you a number to hit ( how much to feed, how often...which isnt on demand). You cant go back and change it now and it got him healthy!!

You CAN get him back to the breast/pump if you want, its not impossible. La Leche League can help you too. If not, thats ok. You tried and those few days/hours still made a difference!! DS was formula fed, DD1 was pumped and formula fed and DD2 was BF.

You got this! Keep at it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"