May be early! Yikes!

Dill

Reaction score
I had my 36-week checkup on Friday and was having some contractions in the waiting room. I honestly didn't think too much of it, I've had BH through the third trimester and was told it's normal for them to ramp up in intensity the closer you get to 40 weeks, and I've had some really intense ones over the last week or so. The nurse and midwife were concerned, though, so once they had me do my strep b swab, I was settled in for an impromptu exam. My midwife literally told me, "At this point, I'm just hoping you make it to 37 weeks." My cervix is very thin and I am slightly dilated, and even knowing that, she was shocked by how low he's settled into my pelvis once she fired up the ultrasound to check my fluids (which are good, at least). He is locked, loaded, and ready to go.

I'm a bit freaked out, though I realize I could certainly stay at this stage for the next 4 weeks and not progress. I mean, baby comes on his own time! But if I have to go in even one day before 37 weeks, I have to birth at the hospital (no no no no no) instead of the birthing facility. And she said he's still small, though not small for his age, just small because he's still cooking. I am not ready yet. We had a 5-day power outage, and then another day's power outage, so I am further behind in preparing than I'd hoped to be by this point (and honestly had expected more time). We are rushing to get everything ready now, but now I also have to deal with fear of overdoing it and giving myself more contractions, which we're trying to avoid.

I did get scolded for not calling my midwife when I was having the bad contraction sets previously. :blush: The look she gave me when I told her that they'd been accompanied by back pain and loose stools...! I'm under firm instructions to pay closer attention to the contractions and call her if they get bad.

I hope you make it till 37 weeks hun. just to give you a little assurance with my last pregnancy I was 5 cms dilated and sooo ready to go into labor for 3-4 weeks and I never did go on my own! every week I would go in and my doctor's jaw would drop and tell me I will most likely see you in the next couple days then nothing happens. so hopefully if you hold on tight haha and not over do it you can get to at least 37 weeks :)
good luck dear

Hope you make it to 37 weeks so u get the birth you want Hun, good luck xx

Ds1 was born at 36 weeks and he was perfect! I also had early signs of labor with ds2 but he made it to 39 weeks! Good luck!

Good luck Dill, how exciting! Hope little one stays put for a little while xx

How exciting! Hope you can make it until 37 weeks and i know the birthing center is important to you but I also wanted to throw in some reassurance, I had my 2nd at 36 weeks and she was fine ;) a little small but she didn't need any help whatsoever :)

I understand you're stressed, but I agree with pp that 36 weeks will still deliver a healthy baby. So just try to breath, and hopefully you make it to 37 weeks! :)

Thanks, ladies! I know he'll be fine if I deliver at this point, but really really really really am terrified of a hospital birth. He just needs to stay put for 7 more days! It makes me nervous every time he bonks against my cervix, though.

Rest, rest & relax! Plan your next 7 days with care. Sit & relax for at least 15mins every hour you are up and running. Good luck!

I wish I could! We still have so much prep to do around the house, and I'm still working both jobs (1 full time, 1 part time). I don't get time to rest or relax!

Hi dill, remember me? Anyway I hope you LO stays put for a few more days at least. I've got my FX crossed for you.

Hello hello! Good seeing you again! :hi:

I would call out of work for the rest of the week until you make it to 37 weeks.. a few days of missed work is worth getting the birth you want! Good luck!

The good news at today's checkup was that I haven't progressed much, if any, further. :) Midwife said that 40 weeks may be feasible at this point. I'm so relieved! The little guy is awfully small (she estimated him to be just 5.5 pounds), so he needs the extra time in the oven!

It was such a relief! And my strep b test was negative, too. :)

Just 18 days remaining! My mom told me yesterday that she had the exact same thing happen when she was pregnant with me -- had contractions and effaced + dilated to +/- 1cm around 36-37 weeks, and then didn't go into labor until her due date. It's spooky how identical the pregnancies have been!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->