MC rates - when did you feel safe?

Savasanna

Reaction score
I'm not even sure what I'm asking here.. but I'm making a thread because I'm starting to go batty.

I feel like every thing I read states the chance of miscarriage drops to 1-5% after a healthy 8 week scan.. but I feel confused because I see 9-10w losses all over these boards. I think I'm just desperate to get to some place where I feel like it's safe to be excited. I thought that would happen at 8 weeks, but now I find myself just biting my nails until the 10 week milestone. Is this entire pregnancy going to be anxiously waiting for the next milestone to happen?

This first trimester is brutal.

I think for most the anxiety never ends. It didn't for me with my son, and I am so anxious with this pregnancy.

When you know what can go wrong, you can't get that out of your mind, all of you can do is hope. Chances are in your favour. Good luck!

Im possibly not the best person to answer as ive had 3 first Tri losses, then a 15 wk and 18 week loss and our daughter at 5 days old. So for me- no stage feels safe, not even when they're born healthy.
That said, I do find once I could feel regular movements it helped a little, the reassurance of it, but I think as mums we will always have that worry and anxiety- our babies are precious to us, it's natural x

The intense first tri anxiety passes for me at the 12 week scan, then I have a sort of lower level background noise of worries about all sorts of things, like I sometimes do with my daughter too. I think a low level of concern is a biological thing, it keeps us from doing silly things that could be harmful to the baby, but it can very easily get out of hand.
I'm feeling movements now which helps me a lot and if I haven't felt anything for a couple of days I'll usually get my doppler out to calm myself down. (Obviously won't use doppler for reduced movements when baby is big enough for them to do something about it).

I hope it gets easier for you soon <3

Yup, I'll feel more confident like I'm actually having this baby after I get the all clear from the NT Scan. I hate 1st tri. It's full of uncertainty and fear. Well, it is now for me. With my son, it was pretty good, not perfect, because I had a bad subchorionic hemorrhage.

This time, I had a MC at week 4 a year ago, and it took IVF to get this baby. It's been a long, rough road...and I'm ready to feel good about having a baby!

My NT scan is this coming Monday. Fx

I hear you. It's been a long road for us as well. 2+ years of trying with a mc at 6w. 2 years of trying to adopt through foster care. I just want this to be our light so so badly, I'm afraid I won't recover if anything were to happen.

Thanks for all your input/stories. And Lora, I'm so sorry to read of your losses. I actually first read your little girl's story years ago and it's always stuck with me. Absolutely gut wrenching.

In any event, I know there's no real "answer" to the question.. I'm just wishing I had a window into the future. Thanks for listening. :) <3

I think you mostly read about mc on the boards because that is the biggest reason why people have questions on here. They want to know if their symptoms sound like they are miscarrying from those who have went through one or are looking for positive stories about anyone who had a threatened miscarriage and everything turned out ok. Very rarely do you ever read about positive posts. When you do they are usually from a scan. But think about it... there are thousands of ladies from around the world on here expecting at any given time. Of the thousands, you only see a handful of new posts regarding mc or threatened mc. Really although it seems like that is all people write about on here it really is only a small percentage.

To answer your question, I breathe a lot easier once I see a healthy heartbeat <3

For me, I did feel a lot more secure after the 12 week scan as the risk drops considerably. I felt not too bad after that. I've found I'm actually more anxious now, the 22-28week period. Now, the 22-24 was the kinda awful bit before viability and 24-28 week, I get so worried if baby has a quiet day and doesn't kick very much and I just hope they stay safe and well in there and don't try to be born when they are so tiny! I'm sure there will be more worries come the 3rd trimester and beyond!

My advice would just be to do your very best to remain positive and live life as if everything will be absolutely fine. Remember, these boards attract those women who have recurrent losses or issues with their pregnancies. It skews your view quite a lot! This board probably makes up less than 1% of pregnant people around the world, most of whom have perfectly healthy pregnancies!

I don't think you ever quite feel safe... you worry in the first trimester about miscarriages, you worry in the second trimester about a healthy anatomy scan, you worry in the third about pre term labor, you worry about a healthy delivery, and forget it once they are born... you worry for them to remain healthy. Anyway, I know that's not what you were asking, but the truth is, you will now worry for the rest of your life. Lol.

Anyway back to your question. Overall, in general, the chances of a miscarriage after seeing a heartbeat (I think the main part of this statistic is seeing the heartbeat, not necessarily how many weeks you are) is about 5%. But you will obviously hear countless stories here from the people who were in that 5%, which of coarse is heartbreaking and I can't even begin to imagine what some people have been through. We all pray not to go through that ourselves, but there is no guarantee that any of us won't be in that 5% this time or with another pregnancy. But, I think once there has been a verified healthy heartbeat, you can breathe a little easier than if you haven't had that verification yet. Another piece to this is a healthy heartbeat, because some people will have seen a heartbeat, but it is slower than it should be, which explains some losses after a confirmation of a heartbeat.

You also have to take into consideration the reasons people miscarry vary greatly, so you can't always compare one story to another, if that makes any sense. First trimester losses are usually related to chromosomal abnormalities, progesterone deficiencies, or immune issues whereas later loses tend to be related to infection processes or an incompetent cervix. There are probably some unexplained cases as well, but just knowing how many weeks someone miscarried at doesn't tell the whole story and doesn't mean you are at risk of the same thing. Someone else brought up a great point- that these boards attract those of us who need support because we either struggled to get pregnant, or struggled to remain pregnant so these boards themselves probably don't necessarily paint an accurate story when it comes to statistics.

The first trimester is really tough and I know you have had quite a journey. I really hope this is your forever baby and hope in these next couple of weeks you can start to rest easy and enjoy this special time. Once you feel kicks, it gets less scary but we have a little ways for that yet. Just know you aren't alone, we all are worried about the worst.

For me, I worry less about a miscarriage after I have seen a heartbeat, but then I move right on to worrying about a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy. Xx

I still don't feel safe, but I do feel safer right now.

I bought a doppler so I could listen to the heartbeat everyday cuz I'd had so few and such mild symptoms. I also feel a little safer now that I'm in 2nd tri, but things can still take a turn for the worse.

All I can tell you is what I tell myself: If it's meant to be, it will be.

I thought I felt safe, but my anxiety is creeping up again. My NT scan is on Monday, and I am hoping for positive news and good feelings all around.

Like someone else the majority of things on here are people worrying, and it does rub off on me sometimes too. My main goalpost this time was getting past 6 weeks as that's the furthest all my early losses happened. I'm feeling a bit more positive now, and I have a Doppler which I can hear the heartbeat on. My next goalpost.... well that's to get through the whole pregnancy as my 2nd baby girl was stillborn, although the plan is to induce me at 37 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->