Measuring behind at scan today - UPDATED

JJay

Pregnant with number 3
Reaction score
Hi Has anyone had a similar experience and all turned out OK?

I had a viability scan this morning. I was offered it after my mmc in the summer.

The sonographer couldn't find anything at first, she said my uterus is flat shaped and tilted making it difficult to see. She ended up doing an internal and a more experienced sonographer had to take over. Eventually (I was fearing the worst by now!) they found the sac and could see a heartbeat. I asked the rates per minute but the equipment is old and doesn't measure that. She said the heart rate was fast. She measured a few times as I told her I should be 7 weeks 1 day but the max she could get was 6 weeks.

She told me it's likely the baby will have caught up by the next scan. I am obviously worried though! I was using opks so am pretty sure of when I ovulated and got an early bfp so the very least I could realistically be is 6weeks 4 days.

Did anyone else have this happen and all was ok?

Not had this happen but it's not uncommon to be measuring a bit smaller than you think you might be. Try not to worry you saw the heartbeat baby is probably fine in there! I hope it all goes better at the next scan and you get some reassurance x

Yes! At my early scan they said I was measuring a week behind what I thought I was. Then at the 12 week scan they put me forward. I'm 32 weeks now and everything seems to be going well with baby.

It's really positive you saw the heartbeat x

The baby is only a few mm at this size and with the internal they only get to look at baby from one angle so it can be hard to get an accurate measurement.

I've had a 6 and a 9 week scan and they didn't bother to measure the heart rate at either they just said the fact there is a heart beat is great.

Do you have another scan planned?

Yes its happened to me but I didn't have an internal scan and I probably should have. I thought I was 8+1 but when I had the scan it measured 7wks.
I booked another scan when they said I was 12weeks but bub measured 13+5. I ended up having her at 36+3 if I went by their dates which were 8days behind mine.

Thanks everyone, it's great to hear positive stories!

I was so worried I ended up booking a private scan for Friday so I'll update X

I had two perfectly healthy pregnancies resulting in 2 beautiful little boys! Then I had a mmc at 8 weeks back in February. When I found out I was pregnant again I had an ultrasound around 6.5 weeks that dated me 5 days behind... Even though baby had a heartbeat I felt terrible about it. None of my babies had measured behind, ever. But at my 9 week ultrasound she measured 8+5 and then at 16 weeks she caught up completely. Don't worry too much. I'm sure you're fine!!!

I had a scan with my daughter that was four days behind and she caught up

And a scan with this one where I should have been 6+5 and they said I was measuring 5/6 weeks.

I went for a scan 10 days later and baby was measuring 8+5!

The measurements can be so strange so early on

Like many of you, I had a t/v scan at which I should have been 6+5 according to my ovulation day and 7+2 according to last period. Baby had a good heartbeat but measured at 6+1.

She mentioned that I have a tilted uterus and that dates can easily be off if baby is lying in a funny position.

I heard the heartbeat last week at 8+4 (according to ov date!!) on my sonoline B home Doppler. I doubt that I would have heard it were her measurements more correct than mine, that would have been 8+0 and really early don't you think?

Got a scan in two days and can't wait to see baby again, hope all is well.

All the best to all of you!

Thanks Bumblebee - your situation is very similar to mine so your post is reassuring! I should have been 6+4 by ovulation and 7+1 by LMP. I went with LMP date as scans in my two successful pregnancies always agreed with this even though i ov late. (Although I've never had such an early scan before). Best of luck with your scan in 2 days time - let me know how it goes.

I'm updating for anyone who might have found this thread after googling - I have read so many after the last couple of weeks!

Had another scan today and baby measuring bang on track at 8+6 which is actually a few days ahead of when I think I ovulated.

The sonographer measured a couple of times and pointed out the baby wiggling. She said the development was exactly in line with a baby of almost 9 weeks. We also got to hear the heartbeat which was 173bpm :)

I've read a lot about the best time to measure a pregnancy being 8-11 weeks and I'm proof that very early scans can be out by up to a week.

Sorry for never updating!!

At my scan baby measured exactly on track. I was 10+2 by lmp and baby measured 10+2 exactly!

Early scans. Like you mentioned, are not as accurate as the bit later ones!

Very happy that you got to see your sweet little baby and wish you a relaxing remainder of your 9months! xx

Sorry for never updating!!

At my scan baby measured exactly on track. I was 10+2 by lmp and baby measured 10+2 exactly!

Early scans. Like you mentioned, are not as accurate as the bit later ones!

Very happy that you got to see your sweet little baby and wish you a relaxing remainder of your 9months! xx

at my early scan i thought i was 6 weeks minimum i measured just 5 weeks went back 2 weeks later and measured 8+2 so early scans are often out

Early scans can cause a lot of worry but at the same time take a lot of stress off. I went in for my 6 weeks scan and measured 5 weeks. The next week I measured 6 weeks and we finally saw a heartbeat. That little heartbeat has kept me sane ever since because of all the spotting I have had. I keep telling myself it great in spite of the spotting XD just as stubborn as his/her daddy

I'm so glad everything turned out alright for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->