measuring small

LisaO80

Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help, I had my 28 wk appt yesterday a few days early due to xmas and the midwife said i was measuring 4cm small... she said she'll leave it until the 32 week appt before deciding whether to send me for another scan, but she said i wasn't allowed to worry at all over the next 4 weeks(!)... well now i am a bit worried and am not sure whether to call her just to find out exactly what measuring small might mean or whether i can have a scan now rather than wait? What do you think?

I don't really want to be a pain to call her, but i mentioned to hubby, mum and mil and they're all now wondering what it might mean/whether its a concern so thats now making me more antsy!

Advise is much appreciated!!
Thanks
Lisax

I can't relate directly but I know lots of women on here who have been in the same position and have perfectly healthy little ones.

I have been measuring big so have been sent for scans etc. All they can say is that I've got a big baby!!

Fundal measurement is notoriously innacurate - it depends on who does it as much as anything else.

Try not to worry (easier said than done I know). If you really are worried, give your mw a call and tell her this. It's better for you to be able to relax - she might recommend popping in sooner for another measurement to put your mind at rest.

Keep us posted x

i was measuring small too, i was 26cm at 28week app, my mw said she would check me again at my 30 week one, if she has said not to worry i really would try not too, i was measuring big with my first, i just think its one of those things. eat as much as poss over xmas,lol. xx

I've been measuring 3-4cms smaller and been having growth scans every two weeks since 28 weeks.

Was told that I would have a small baby and at 34 weeks baby measured 4lb 2oz and was on lower centile. Now at 36 weeks baby is 5lb 14oz!!!!!!

So baby grew almost 2lb in 2 weeks!! I wouldn't worry about your fundal height measurements - if baby is laying across your tummy it will be lower anyway. having scans etc just gives you more worry!!

if your midwife isn't worried then try not to be.

Gemma

I have measured 5 weeks behind (5cm) since 28 weeks. I've had 2 growth scans and both of them put him well within the normal range. For example my measurement at 31 weeks told me that he was in the 4th percentile (out of 100 babies born he would be the 4th smallest) and when I had my scan he was measuring at 48th percentile (pretty much bang on average for his gestation). So my fundal measurement was out by 44%. I'm just not carryng a lot of water that is why my measurement was small. Your baby could just be lying at an odd angle, there is nothing to worry about hun, if your midwife was at all concerned she would have sent you for a growth scan there and then. Babies (like children) have growth spurts at different ages and your baby may have just not had theres yet and will have it over the weekend or even the next few weeks, so by the next time you go it may have 'caught up'.

Don't worry about it, as previously posted fundal height can be inaccerate. I measured 5cm behind throughout my pregnancy, had a growth scan and was told all completly normal. Just as long as your fundal height gains at your next appointment (even if it's still behind) I'm sure everything will be fine. In the end my son was born weighing 5lb 6oz at 39weeks, so although a tiny baby in the end, he had no health problems, no admission to nicu, no problems latching on to the breast, nothing! Infact he is a strong boy, and could hold his head up at one week old! Basically, trust in your body and your baby, try not to worry or stress. I had to wait four weeks for my growth scan too, just goes to show it's a common occurance and your midwife can't be too concerned. Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy.

Hi all

Thanks for the replies - you've all really reassured me! I'll keep calm and wait til next appt and see what happens then.. with xmas so close i'm sure the time will fly by!

Thanks again!!

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"