Medicine directions?

xolily

Reaction score
Stepson has come to stay for the last few days of the hols. He's on medication and on the box it says "Take TWO daily on alternate days."

Does this mean take 2 one day, miss a day, take 2, miss a day, take 2? His mum has been giving him THREE daily and when he asked her last night on the phone why she's been giving him 3 when it says 2 on the box, she said because his symptoms were getting worse :dohh: she's not a bloody doctor!

im not a doctor but from what you wrote i would take 2 miss a day then 2 then miss and so on
his mum shouldn't be deciding how many he needs and when

:dohh:

It means exactly what you think it means. Take 2, miss a day, take 2, miss a day. Can't believe his Mum was giving him 3 a day! I mean, those directions are there for a reason, especially so with it being prescription medication :dohh:

yeah, 2 on day1, skip day2, 2 on day3 etc.

what medication is it?

yeah take 2 then miss a day... then take 2

seems weird instructions tbh tho, wonder why its not just 1 a day? his mum is silly for giving him 3 without his doctors consent IMO x

Yeah I know i'm so mad :growlmad: if she spoke english i'd have been on the phone by now! I've told OH he needs to sort it ASAP :|

He's on prednisolone. It's no wonder he's not getting any better when she's chopping and changing doses. He's peeing literally like 10 times an hour and i've looked his illness up on the internet and it doesn't have excessive peeing as a symptom or as a side effect of his medication =/ !

yeah take 2 then miss a day... then take 2

seems weird instructions tbh tho, wonder why its not just 1 a day? his mum is silly for giving him 3 without his doctors consent IMO x

don't know why it's that! tis what it says on the box though. says that then "Total Dose 10mg on alternate days" x

:dohh: Great idea to mess around with steroids.

Anyway that drug makes you retain fluid so maybe he's just been retaining loads of fluid since hes not had a break hence the peeing?

:dohh: Great idea to mess around with steroids.

Anyway that drug makes you retain fluid so maybe he's just been retaining loads of fluid since hes not had a break hence the peeing?

I don't know dya think that's why it might be alternate days? OH doesn't get on with their mum at all and she makes it really hard to talk even when it comes down to the kids. OH has been relying on his older son upto now for info but i've just told him it's getting beyond a joke now, he needs to speak to her. I've refused to give him his medication the past 2 days, he's waited until his dad has gotten out of bed :shrug:

What a great thing to mess around with. Yep i think your right take 2 one day miss a day take 2 the next day and so on. It seems abit funny though taking them like that. I have those when my asthma gets bad and i have to take six a day all at once

You are correct. 2 tablets on day 1, skip day 2. 2 tablets on day 3, skip day 4. 2 tablets on ... you get the point!
steroids are not something she should be 'self prescribing'. If his symptoms are getting worse, she needs to go back to the Dr!! :wacko:
watch his sugar intake with prednisilone too. It can cause steroid induced diabetes! (especially if she is overdosing him)

You are correct. 2 tablets on day 1, skip day 2. 2 tablets on day 3, skip day 4. 2 tablets on ... you get the point!
steroids are not something she should be 'self prescribing'. If his symptoms are getting worse, she needs to go back to the Dr!! :wacko:
watch his sugar intake with prednisilone too. It can cause steroid induced diabetes! (especially if she is overdosing him)

from what i've read about his condition he should be watching all aspects of his diet - all his mam has told him is no crisps :growlmad: i just don't even know what to say! it's crazyness x

ARGH! So OHs son has gone home and i've just spoken to him and his mum is still giving him 3 tablets DAILY. OH said he spoke to her and explained she can't do that and if she carries on he'll have to tell someone and her response was "Who are you gonna tell?" meaning like no-one can do anything to me! She's being pathetic and childish and this is her sons health we are talking about! Does anyone know what can we do?

do you know what doctors he's registered at? and let the doctor know? he might be able to have a word with the mum?

if shes giving him that many would the doctor should have noticed shes asking for more prescriptions as you only aloud them at a certain time unless hes going with out? to be honest im not sure the doctors can say much they can only tell her but if shes doesnt speak engish she prob cant read it so she will just say she doesnt understand

does his school have a welfare officer or school nurse id maybe speak to them if not your oh will have to go round and tak to her

i asked OH to ring her again and he did. she told him his GP told her to up the dosage if his symptoms worsened but i still don't believe that. anyway, OH said it's dangerous to do that and if his medication isn't working she should go back to the doctor and she said ok, so we'll see!

Id tell your OH to tell someone even if the doc told her to up the dose now why was she giving him 3 a day before?

Id tell your OH to tell someone even if the doc told her to up the dose now why was she giving him 3 a day before?

she said that when the doc prescribed them he told her if the symptoms got worse, to give extra medication :shrug: i wouldn't even know who to tell tbh!

she said that when the doc prescribed them he told her if the symptoms got worse, to give extra medication :shrug: i wouldn't even know who to tell tbh!

A doctor would never tell someone to play around with a steroid dose if they think symptoms might be getting worse.
Especially not steroids for a child.

A doctor would never tell someone to play around with a steroid dose if they think symptoms might be getting worse.
Especially not steroids for a child.

as i said before, i don't believe her myself but she's agreed to give it as directed and so far OH's son has told us he's had the right dose. we can't do anything else atm! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->