mei tai vs ring sling

M

MrsEngland

So im wanting a new carrier for this baby as at the min I have one of the basic mothercare carriers so I've been looking at either a mei tai style or a ring sling and have no idea which to go for would appreciate some advise :flower:

I don't like ring slings much as I prefer the weight to be evenly distributed across my body. I would consider a ring sling for quick up and downs with a walker, but I would actually be a little afraid of a ring sling for a young baby as I think it's probably easier to let them scrunch up too much in them. I'm not experienced enough to feel I could do it safely without having to check every 3 seconds!

I don't think it is a vs. They both have totally different uses but if you have never used a ring sling before I would see if you have a babywearing consultant that does classes because it can be tricky to get right with a new born.

I personally like ring slings for babies 5/6 months plus with great head control and I do front hip and back carries never cradle carry which is what I expect you'd want for anewborn

What about a stretchy?

Is there a sling meet or sling library near you? It's worth trying out a few things if you can. I do think a mei tai is a pretty good place to start though :)

I don't think I'd use my ring sling for a newborn, though it's all I've used since DD2 turned about 4 months. She's not keen on the mei tai at all as she prefers the hip carry. Before the ring sling we used stretchies.

DD1 however, hated the ring sling until she was about a year and a half old. She absolutely loved the mei tai and was in one from roughly 4 months until she went in the ring sling.

It really will depend on the baby, and on what you're more comfortable with. Do you have a sling library near you that you could perhaps go to?

How do I find out if there's a sling library near by?

try google or perhaps facebook. I don't think they're widely advertised usually, so think they're probably your own options

Try this link: https://ukslinglibraries.wordpress.com/find-a-sling-library-near-you/

You can do postal hire but when I was looking I thought it wasn't worth my while as signed for delivery on a sling is quite dear! So I went to the nearest sling . meet, tried theirs but didn't hire, then went home and purchased online. It's a sling thing is a website for postal hire...but you can get mei ties from. 20 pounds on eBay (no personal experience) and second hand brand names easily for 40 and often less.

Thanks I think I'm gunna get a mei tai then maybe a ring sling when shes older.

I LOVE my ring sling, but my daughter is almost 11 months. I used the Mei tai and a moby wrap when she was smaller. I'm so in love with my ring sling I plan to use it with my next baby from birth.

Both are lovely carriers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->