Men and Folic Acid

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Mrs Dot, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

Hi all, have just been doing some reading on the net about folic acid and came across quite a few sites that recommend men who are ttc should be taking Folic Acid everyday along with us girlies.

I was just wondering if any of your dh's or oh's are taking it as well as you?
    The articles I've read suggest that it helps to increase sperm count and the quality of the sperm too! Worth a go I reckon! If we have to why shouldn't they?!!!:rofl:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated on this!!! I'm considering breaking the news to dh in a minute!!! :rofl:

2. DaisyBee

DaisyBee Mom of 2

I had not heard this - I had read in fertility books that zinc, vit. c & vitamin e were important for sperm. Had dh taking these & multivitamin and bcomplex.

Good luck!

3. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

I read as well that Zinc works too, just told dh and he seems up for it so going to give it a try! Can't hurt can it?!

4. broodylocket

broodylocket Well-Known Member

told my oh he has to start taking zinc :rofl:

5. I want a bump

I want a bump TTC waiting for tests

Didnt know about them taking folic acid too - my o/h takes multivit's with zinc (when he remembers!)

6. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

Their turn to pill pop!!!! :rofl: after 12 years of me being on the pill and dh joking every night when I took mine, 'Can I have one?!' his time has come!!!

7. sazza

sazza Well-Known Member

Yup, my OH takes folic acid and zinc. :)

8. blondeNklutzi

blondeNklutzi Mika's Mommy and TTC

I hadn't heard that, but my OH takes a multi-vitamin with folic acid and zinc anyway, so thats even more reason to encourage him to take it!!!

9. ILoveShoes

ILoveShoes Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I've never heard that before - very interesting! My DH has been taking a multi-vitamin too.
    xxx

10. TJ79

TJ79 Well-Known Member

I never heard of that, but my oh takes multivit and mineral sups which do actually have all of those in them, so hopfully we're covered lol xx

11. cath

cath Well-Known Member

My DH was already taking zinc (although not entirely happy about it) Broke the news to him last night that he would have to start taking folic acid too. He was starting to object that I was making him take all these pills so I told him it was either take the pills or give up drinking alcohol, at which point he stopped complaining & swallowed the tablets as quickly as he could :rofl:

12. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

ive not read any other replies but when my OH went for sperm tests his doc recommended folic acid for him also !! :D

goodluck everyone xx

13. Xinola

Xinola Loving my time with Sini

I'm so glad I read the thread! I didn't know about this at all :dohh: And for the past few months I've been asking my OH if he has read about particular foods or vitamins he should be taking, and he said 'no' :rofl:

I'll make the OH start popping the pills! Man, I've been taking Bcomplex with folic acid since November last year (i think), and he has been taking nothing... I'll talking into that asap.

14. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

Thanks for all the replies ladies! Been out and bought dh some zinc tablets today too, btw they're on offer in Holland and barretts at the mo! Cath, great way of getting him to take them with the threat, I think I'll try that one too!

15. Cleo

Cleo Happy mom to F & L!

My OH takes a multi and 1mg of folic...how much zinc is recommended? He has 7.5mg in his multi but I wonder if he should be taking more?

16. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

Not sure but I presume the rda in the multivitamins should be enough?

17. DaisyBee

DaisyBee Mom of 2

My dh was taking 50 mg of zinc and 1000 mg of vit c which were the 2 I heard were the most important for sperm

18. Cleo

Cleo Happy mom to F & L!

Thanks ladies! I just did some research and I read that the Vit C is important as well...so many bloody pills!!!

19. cath

cath Well-Known Member

OMG, I cant make him take any more, he'll go mad! Think I'll have to stick with the zinc & folic acid for now & maybe start feeding him loads of oranges to up his vitamin c uptake.

20. lozzy21

lozzy21 Mummy to Niamh

Strawberrys have more vit c than oranges.