Men and Folic Acid

Mrs Dot

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
Hi all, have just been doing some reading on the net about folic acid and came across quite a few sites that recommend men who are ttc should be taking Folic Acid everyday along with us girlies.

I was just wondering if any of your dh's or oh's are taking it as well as you?
The articles I've read suggest that it helps to increase sperm count and the quality of the sperm too! Worth a go I reckon! If we have to why shouldn't they?!!!:rofl:

Any thoughts would be much appreciated on this!!! I'm considering breaking the news to dh in a minute!!! :rofl:

I had not heard this - I had read in fertility books that zinc, vit. c & vitamin e were important for sperm. Had dh taking these & multivitamin and bcomplex.

Good luck!

I read as well that Zinc works too, just told dh and he seems up for it so going to give it a try! Can't hurt can it?!

Didnt know about them taking folic acid too - my o/h takes multivit's with zinc (when he remembers!)

Their turn to pill pop!!!! :rofl: after 12 years of me being on the pill and dh joking every night when I took mine, 'Can I have one?!' his time has come!!!

Yup, my OH takes folic acid and zinc. :)

I hadn't heard that, but my OH takes a multi-vitamin with folic acid and zinc anyway, so thats even more reason to encourage him to take it!!!

Hi!
I've never heard that before - very interesting! My DH has been taking a multi-vitamin too.
xxx

I never heard of that, but my oh takes multivit and mineral sups which do actually have all of those in them, so hopfully we're covered lol xx

My DH was already taking zinc (although not entirely happy about it) Broke the news to him last night that he would have to start taking folic acid too. He was starting to object that I was making him take all these pills so I told him it was either take the pills or give up drinking alcohol, at which point he stopped complaining & swallowed the tablets as quickly as he could :rofl:

ive not read any other replies but when my OH went for sperm tests his doc recommended folic acid for him also !! :D

goodluck everyone xx

I'm so glad I read the thread! I didn't know about this at all :dohh: And for the past few months I've been asking my OH if he has read about particular foods or vitamins he should be taking, and he said 'no' :rofl:

I'll make the OH start popping the pills! Man, I've been taking Bcomplex with folic acid since November last year (i think), and he has been taking nothing... I'll talking into that asap.

Thanks for all the replies ladies! Been out and bought dh some zinc tablets today too, btw they're on offer in Holland and barretts at the mo! Cath, great way of getting him to take them with the threat, I think I'll try that one too!

My OH takes a multi and 1mg of folic...how much zinc is recommended? He has 7.5mg in his multi but I wonder if he should be taking more?

Not sure but I presume the rda in the multivitamins should be enough?

My dh was taking 50 mg of zinc and 1000 mg of vit c which were the 2 I heard were the most important for sperm

Thanks ladies! I just did some research and I read that the Vit C is important as well...so many bloody pills!!!

OMG, I cant make him take any more, he'll go mad! Think I'll have to stick with the zinc & folic acid for now & maybe start feeding him loads of oranges to up his vitamin c uptake.

OMG, I cant make him take any more, he'll go mad! Think I'll have to stick with the zinc & folic acid for now & maybe start feeding him loads of oranges to up his vitamin c uptake.

Strawberrys have more vit c than oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->