Metformin not working?! HELP!

StillHoping8

Reaction score
hey guys, just looking to hear some positive metformin stories maybe to help me feel better?
weve been ttc for a while now so I went to the Dr and she gave me Metformin.
(I have PCOS, and im 24) I guess I got myself too excited because I really was hoping id be preg right awayafter starting it!
ive been on it for over a month now and still nothing...
my man and I havnt been on a real schedule as far as trying so I think well try every other day from now on and see if that does the trick but I cant help but think every little thing is a symptom of pregnancy!

im due to have my period until the 8th of February, but this whole week ive been spotting... not enough to even use a tampon just a little blood when I go to the bathroom usually...(sorry if this is toomutch info! haha)so in my mind, im thinking omg im spotting maybe this is it! then my breasts have been sore but not so much if I push on them more like through out the day they just hurt for a while then it goes away! has this happened to anyone else? ive done tis before where I look up everything that hurts or anything a little weird for me and thought for sure I was preg, then I do a test and am disappointed yet again... my face is breaking out, I have headaches a lot lately, im soooo tired lately, I feel nauseous (but then that could be from the metformin too!)
I realize im ranting on but sometimes you just have to get things and questions out... my fiancé is so relaxed about it and confident its going to happen soon, but if the metformin doesn't work, then what will my Dr do next? she mentioned getting his swimmers tested if it doesn't work my March, but I doubt that's our issue so whats next after that?
I realize I went off all over the place here but any thing helps

Metformin can take a couple of months to get into your system, so stick with it.

The dr may order bloods to check that you are ovulating and how your LH, oestrogen and progesterone levels are. They will probably test your OHs swimmers also.

Why not ask the dr what the route will be if it doesn't happen immediately?

But seriously, give the metformin some time. I was on it three months before I noticed any change in my cycle

I fail to understand why people's Dr's just hand meds to them without further testing, options, evaluations and information !

Metformin affects the way insulin controls blood glucose and lowers testosterone production. The reason it's perscribed for women with PCOS is partly for both reasdons. Lowering female testosterone output can aid in conception, since it's the testosterone that is preventing the ovaries from working properly. Often times in PCOS it's not that tyhe ovaries dont work, it's that the eggs dont mature or aren't given the correct combo of hormones to rupture and travel, allowing pregnancy.

Metformin had also been known to aide in weight loss, which is also necessary to aid in conception. Nothing is magic, you can't take a pill or a supplement or a vitamin to magically make things work correctly. Even if you were on progesterone, Metformin, trigger shots and having IVF pregnancy is something that is virtually impossibly, statistically speaking

I assume you've had diagnostic blood work and ultrasounds to confirm PCOS and it's not just a diagnosis that someone came up with ? I realize you've been TTC for over a year, but there's generally a process for things. Certainly get a semen analysis, get blood work and ultrasounds and eat better, lose weight, take the Metformin and then there will be other things. They can add Clomid, pr Progesterone or other medications to help pull everything together, however i suggest getting a semen analysis sooner rather than later. You can't load the gun with blank bullets, as they say :)

Hi, im a metforman success story. I have diagnosed PCOS and husband has low sperm count.
Metforman generally takes at least up to 3months for it to have any effect on your body.

We had been trying for two years. I was prescribed met in February and I fell pregnant in July. So all in all 6months from when I started taking it I fell pregnant.

Good luck :)..

not every one with pcos is overweight. im not by any means overweight. and yes I did have blood work done and an ultrasound. My Dr is highly recommended and she isn't just throwing pills at me to make me happy.

WeeNat and laurac1988 thank you!
im happy to hear success stories! I see so many where they say it happens so quickly so hearing some where it took a little longer really makes me feel good that's its not just me!

not every one with pcos is overweight. im not by any means overweight. and yes I did have blood work done and an ultrasound. My Dr is highly recommended and she isn't just throwing pills at me to make me happy.

As a general rule the most common answer women are given is to lose weight. Also I didn't suggest your Dr "threw pills at you to make you happy" but she clearly didn't give you a detailed explanation of what and why, which is what you asked about. Also i asked about the workup because sometimes women are given a PCOS diagnosis because nothing else seems to make any sense

Your welcome huni....

I was like you, you so hope that things move on quickly and when you want something so bad just hearing someone in the same boat helps ease your mind.

I wish you all the luck in your journey. Keep positive and I'm sure it will happen for you :).

Doctors in this day and age are very reluctant to prescribe metformin. I know my doctors were.
What dose are you taking? Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->