Metformin Question

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
My doctor started me on Metformin and I took my first dose last night right after dinner, exactly as I was instructed to do. It didn't make me sick, like I thought it would, but instead I got terrible stomach cramps. The best way I can describe them is like contractions. They were really painful and kept me from sleeping because I kept waking up in pain.

Is this a normal reaction to Metformin? I'm scared to take my dose tonight because of the pain. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow, so should I just wait to talk to them and see what they say about it before I take it again?

Thanks for any help/advice ladies :flower:

Sounds like my reactions whenever I restart metformin. Are you starting on just 500 mg?

Some of my other symptoms include nausea and loose stools.

Sounds about right to me. It totally reeks havoc on your gastro system. The symptoms lasted about a week for me and then I had no problems. Sucks but it will pass.

Same here, I only have symptoms at most a week. They do fade quickly. :hugs:

I still dread taking my metformin and I've been on it for two months. I have to make sure I eat a lot and take it with milk if I don't want to die the next day. I alternate between taking 1000 and 1500mg a day, I tolerate 1000mg much better than 1500.

Sounds like my reactions whenever I restart metformin. Are you starting on just 500 mg?

Some of my other symptoms include nausea and loose stools.

They started me on 850mg once a day and then I'm supposed to go up to twice a day after I see the dietitian.

You might try cutting them in half for a few days and see if that helps.

Extended release works great! No side effects for me. Regular made me sick sick sick!

I've been on Metformin for 2 weeks now. I was on 500 mg for 5 days and then we raised it to 1,000 mg... I thought the side effects would have gone away by now but yesterday I had the bad cramps that you were explaining. They only lasted for one day so I'm not sure if it was from the medicine or not...
But I hope you feel better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->