Metformin Question...

MrsRachS

Reaction score
If you were prescribed metformin to help with ttc, when did you stop taking it after you got your bfp? I have a GTT to this week (10 weeks) to see how my blood sugar is after stopping for a few days. I'm really nervous!

With my first pregnancy I was told to take it until 12 weeks, then stop. My blood sugar stayed totally fine and I had no signs or symptoms of GD, so didn't even need a GTT.

This time I was told to stop it as soon as I got my BFP, and they want a GTT done at 28 weeks :dohh: No idea why it's changed, but whatever. Again, my sugars have been absolutely fine.

I was only tangentially prescribed it in terms of helping to TTC, insomuch as it can treat some of the imbalances of PCOS. Even once I'd had my daughter, I stayed on it as I am insulin resistant (and have impaired glucose tolerance as a result). I want to keep that under control to avoid developing type II diabetes later :)

I came off at 13 weeks. The next 2-3 weeks I had big weight gains (about 7-8lbs in total) but that actually settled down. No signs of GD at 27 weeks :)

Do you ladies think there is much difference between 10 or 12 weeks? For example, if my levels are fine and she says I can stop, should I ask to stay on it through 12 weeks?

Do you ladies think there is much difference between 10 or 12 weeks? For example, if my levels are fine and she says I can stop, should I ask to stay on it through 12 weeks?

If you can stand it just stay on it for the full 12 weeks just to be safe - I took it for a few years for PCOS and my consultant said to stop taking it at 12 weeks and then if my GTT at 26 weeks comes back and says I need it then they'll put me back on it then.

You guys have scared me. The doctor told me to keep taking it until I see an endorcinologist. (I see him on Thursday).

I was on 2000mg of meforming, I slowly dropped the dosage down and then stopped on week 12. My blood sugar was fine also.

The only reason I was told to stay on it till 12 weeks was the possibility of a sugar surge effecting the placenta. Some doctors though tell you to come off it straight away and others all the way through, I dont think there is any correct answer but the Dr will decide on the best course for your individual needs.

You guys have scared me. The doctor told me to keep taking it until I see an endorcinologist. (I see him on Thursday).

Please don't let us scare you, listen to your doctor 10 times out of 10 over anything we say on here, everyone's different!

I stopped when i got my BFP (prob about 4-5 weeks). I wouldn't worry though like everyone has said everbody is different :) xx

My doctor took me off of the Metformin at 8 weeks - once my ultrasound and blood screen came back okay.

I was on 2000mg until week 12; then dropped to 1500mg wks12-16; 1000mg 16-20wks and off it completely wk 24 (last week); my consultant told me by wk 16, my GP said around wk 20, but wanted me to decrease slowly (in 4 week increments); I read that metformin (if you believe the research and there are other studies that disagree) is best until 12wks (and then the placenta takes over), but there is some evidence that continuing can be helpful -- I compromised, if you will, and my little one is well (so far, so good), but also have an underactive thyroid (for which I take medication), so it could be combination of various factors for me....

I am worried about the GTT test in a few weeks and am trying to be good until then....

best wishes

My doc has chosen to keep me on it. There is no talk of stopping and I'm 17 weeks.

With my first pregnancy I was told to stop taking it after BFP. I lost that pregnancy....and I have read that metformin can help prevent miscarriage so this time around I stayed on until about 8 weeks. I had 3 ultrasounds by that point and everything was looking good.

I had a blood test for GD a couple weeks ago and everything was fine, but my blood sugar has never been out of the normal range to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->