Methotrexate and Pregnancy

lola1022

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong thread... couldn't find a thread for this topic.

I am 9weeks 4 days pregnant. I am very excited, however very worried.
This past winter, I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy and was treated with methotrexate on 12-19-14.
My levels fell accordingly that first week so I presumed prenatal vitamins again, super b complex, and my shake which also has folic acid as directed by my MD.
My levels dropped to 23 on January 12th and after that I stopped going. I was hit with terrible deductibles and the process of weekly blood draws was starting to itch my sanity.
My levels dropped and we didn't do much to prevent pregnancy (we had tried for a year and nothing).
Lo and behold, 2/24/15 I received a positive pregnancy test.
I have read plenty of material about methotrexate, however did not receive much guidance regarding when to try to conceive. During my initial appointment after the shot, the MD had said 6 months for emotional wellbeing and healing.
My next appointment, my regular OB had said wait until your levels go to 0 and then we'll go from there.
Of course when I had my positive test the first question out of my mouth was 'is the baby going to be okay?'
I was assured by the doctor that everything is probably okay because the drug leaves your system within days - I had also resumed vitamin intake as well.
During my appointment yesterday (3-31) my doctor said she would do blood testing when I'm 15 weeks just to check for any neural tube defects just in case.
So far everything is looking good - and a heart beat of 165.
I was in a support group on facebook regarding ectopic pregnancies and asked the girls their experiences with pregnancy after methotrexate and I received lots of responses saying my baby is going to have defects because we conceived too soon despite assurance from my doctor. Their claims were based off of a website the group followed. I had to leave the group because I am a firm believer against internet based diagnosing.
Has anyone ever gotten pregnant after methotrexate sooner than the usual recommendation of 3 months to wait to conceive?
Just want to see if there's anyone else out there in my situation.
I am hoping and praying for a healthy baby.

I also had methotrexate for a previous ectopic, and although I didn't fall pregnant till after the recommended 3 months, I did think I'd had a whoopsie just 2 months after it and was incredibly worried what the outcome would be if I'd fallen pregnant. I researched it till I was blue in the face and my findings (based on some research articles on patients with rheumatoid arthritis that where taking methotrexate regularly) showed that problems/defects are extremely rare. The three months is erring on the side of caution. I'm sure your baby will be absolutely fine as long as you are taking your folic acid xxx

image.jpg

https://www.mothertobaby.org/methotrexate-and-pregnancy-p150081

No effects in babies that their mothers stopped methotrexate prior to becoming preggo. The risk is only if you continue taking it. I know this is a slightly different situation but it's the same drug so I believe the same would apply. And really if your doctor said its not a problem if trust that... Not a bunch of women with no medical qualifications scaremongering you xx

I did. I had methotrexate for a possible ectopic (turned out to be either a blighted ovum or a mmc and an ovarian cyst instead of the ovarian ectopic they were thinking initially) in mid-March 2009. I found out in early June that I was 6 weeks pg and I'd conceived in May. I worried about the effects of the metho at first but DS was born full term, perfectly normal, and healthy. He's now 5.5 years old. FX this is a sticky rainbow baby for you too.

Wow! I have yet to talk to anyone in my similar situation. So glad to hear your little guy was healthy!
Thank you for easing my mind!

Thank you Dollybird.
I started prenatals 1 week after and also took extra folic acid to be safe once I found out. I hope I had enough built up in my system for everything to be okay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->