Micronor mini pill anyone?

caggimedicine

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed any side affects in baby whilst breastfeeding and taking the mini pill?

Ok so before I got pregnant with Harry, i'd always been on the combined pill since I was 16/17 and have never had any problems with it. I know that whilst breastfeeding you can't go on the combined pill, but heard that the mini pill is fine. So when I went for my 6 week check and the nurse asked me about contraception, I asked for the pill and she prescribed Micronor.

As there's only a 2/3 hour window for taking this pill each day, I worked out what time would be best for me to take it (around bedtime) and so was sat in bed the other night reading the leaflet. It says, and I quote:

"A small amount of progestogen may pass into the milk of mothers taking this pill. The effects, if any, on the breast-fed child have not been determined"​

This caused me a little concern, so I didn't take it and thought i'd read up/ask around about it first, and i've now heard that it can give baby an upset tummy. So now i'm not so sure about taking it. Harry is going to nursery on 1st June and i'm planning on having him pretty much completely on FF by that time, but would still like to BF him once in the evening and morning, but am now considering dropping this idea and going onto the combined pill on 1st June. Any advice/experiences/feedback would be appreciated?

The combined pill can affect your milk supply and should not be taken when breastfeeding. I'd stick with condoms if I were you.

The combined pill can affect your milk supply and should not be taken when breastfeeding. I'd stick with condoms if I were you.
This is it though - this is what I'm not so sure about. Micronor isn't a combined pill - it's the mini-pill... I thought it was ok to use whilst breastfeeding? The nurse knows i'm breastfeeding Harry and specifically chose that pill for me, but after reading the leaflet, i'm not so sure about it?

I've been on Micronor since my six week check up and haven't had any problems with it.

The mini pill has been used by breastfeeding mothers for over 20 years and is the only contaceptive pill that has had a long-term study done on its safety for breastfeeding. Babies who were breastfed while their mothers were taking the mini pill were followed into adolescence to determine any effect, none have been documented. The mini pill only contains progesterone, which is normally found in high levels in breastfeeding mothers anyway. I think perhaps that wording is just them covering themselves in case a problem is ever found.

I am on Micronor and i haven't had any issues with it at all, nor have i noticed Amelia having an upset tummy.

I was prescribed this by my gp, she knew i was still exclusively breastfeeding and looked in her lil book to find me the right one, i think it is fine tbh.

I guess they have to write those sorts of things just in case they always need to cover their backs, if i thought for 1 second it would be detrimental to my LO's health i would stop taking it.

I'm on cerazette (another form of mini pill) you have 12 hours in which to take it and i was lead to believe it has No effect on breast milk. Maybe u could ask the nurse to change so u dont have to stop BFing altogether.

I have been taking micronor since AJ was 3 weeks old and have had no problems with it whatsoever - I think it's like a lot of things and affects different people/babies differently - hope you get to the bottom of your problem and your LO's settle back down soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->