Mid-wife History Appointment??? what to expect?

Sadie92

Wife,Mummy & TTC No2
Reaction score
Hello everone.. I hope you are all in good health :)

I received 2 appointment letters in the post yesterday. 1 is with the mid-wife (History Appointment) for 22 September and the 2nd one is my 1st SCAN appointment :happydance:

Can anyone tell me what i should expect at the 1st appointment??? Maybe UK girls will be able to help me... not sure...

Thanks a lot..

Wish you all the best with the 1st Tri girls..

xxx

I'm in the same boat as you except i haven't got my appointments through yet so just wanted to wish you a happy 9 months ahead :) x

1st midwife app will take about half an hour. You'll get asked lots of questions about medical history, any prev pregnancies, ops, history of illnesses on both sides of familys. Any medication you are on. If you are taking folic acid etc. Your general health, if you smoke/drink.. will prob discuss a healthy diet.
You'll prob get weighed.
Have blood pressure taken.
Take in a urine sample as that will be tested for protein and sugar.
She'll prob discuss what type of birth you would like and where you will have your baby.
Depending on how far along you are, she may listen for the heartbeat with a doppler (usually picked up around the 11th week).
She'll also tell you to book an app with nurse or hospital to have bloods taken to check iron levels etc. And also will talk to you about bloods taken around your 16th week to check how high risk you are for downs syndrome etc.
Ummmmm.. I think that's it! (trying to remember from my last baby 4 years ago!. lol)

Oh... and she'll check to see if she can feel your uterus (which can be felt around week 12).. and will measure it with a tape measure at every app. x

Sorry not much help, but mine's on 22 Sept too :)

My letter asks for a urine sample, says that it can take an hour, that I'm ok to bring a friend.. My friend says that they'll want to know family history for both me and my boyfriend, for anything genetic that might effect the baby.. like a history of twins .. the little book I have says they'll offer to take blood tests for HepB, HIV, rubella, syphilis and other fun stuff.. I've no idea, I'm clueless! hehe :)

I had my first appointment yesterday. Took about an hour and the midwife discussed different options with me, took family history, made sure I understood about how to keep healthy. She took blood to test and checked my blood pressure. Sent us home with loads of leaflets and a book abbout pregnancy - she also booked our scan and a consultants appointment. Hope this helps!!

Oh thank you ALL SO much.... you have been a GREAT help.
At least i know what to expect.
ttc Saffy.... sorry to have to make you think back 4 years lol ... thanks a million.

flick .. SNAP :) I will let you know how my appointment goes... :)

Stooty & Heidi... thanks to you too... :)
Once again, wishing you all the best...
cant wait or the 2nd Tri... :)

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back