midwife appointment wednesday......

star1234

Reaction score
and im excited!!8 weeks and hope it goes well wednesday!what will midwife do?? im in the uk!

Midwife will check your urine, height, weight and blood pressure.

He/she will go through your pregnancy notes and ask you lots and lots of questions about your health and medical history.

Also they will discuss with you the usual topics about health in pregnancy, what to eat and not eat, folic acid, sex in pregnancy, exercise etc.

They should make arrangements for your scan and either take a blood test or make arrangements for you to go for a blood test at another time.

It depends where you live and who your midwife is as from the things Kat has noted mine didnt test urine, didnt tell me anything about what to eat, what not to eat, didnt talk about sex or exercise, didnt take my height or weight (asked me to guesstimate them.) Didnt take my blood pressure either. x

oh thanks kat! sounds like theres plenty to be done in this apt then! do they check ure hcg in this appintment?

No they don't check your hcg. It isn't standard in the UK unless you have to go to the hospital for bleeding or suspected ectopic pregnancy and you are too early to be scanned. otherwise they never check hcg levels in normal pregnancies.

Sunshine I am pretty shocked at your midwife!! That seems dreadful. Guesstimating your weight is pretty bad, I would have guesstimated mine under what it actually was and that sort of thing might mean on people who are quite heavy missing out on extra monitoring they might need. They are supposed to put height, weight and BMI on the notes, there is a box for it. There is also a box for blood pressure at every visit.

Kat i know. I expected them to weigh me but its fairly obvious Im not underweight or overweight so she just took my word for it. x

My blood pressure was taken about 2 weeks later by a nurse but that was only because I was completing my registration with the new surgery so wouldve been done anyway.

hiya, im a student midwife. in most of the UK we have green antenatal notes that we go through in the first book appointment. in here it asks things like what your occupation is, who your partner is and what they do, whether you have any contact with social services or need any help from them, whether you need any help with claiming benefits, medical history e.g. have you been to a and e in the last year, any cardiac problems etc., any obstetric history, like if you have had any other babies or miscarriages. she will also go through your plan of care, how often you see your midwife, when the scans are etc. whether you are high or low risk, based on your previous medical and obstetrical history. she will also do you height and weight, or ask you to fill it in at home if you dont have access to it at the GP surgery. She will do your blood pressure and test your urine and give you forms to get your bloods done and a urine sample tested.Advise you to take folic acid if you are not already, discuss diet and exercise with you, ask if you have any worries or concerns or any other questions. x

My midwife booking appointment in on Wednesday too! I was wondering what will happen, I've printed off info for the midwife on my auto-immune condition as nobody has ever heard of it!

thanks milf2b for your reply!
lianne82 hope your appointment goes well for you!!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->