midwife appointments

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by ryder, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ryder

ryder Mum to Jasmine & Peyton

I have my first midwife appointment Jan 28th and I will be 10 weeks then. They told me the appointment would be an hour and a half and they do the first set of bloods I think.

What else do they usually do? I am going to enquire about the nuchal scan. But last pregnancy I went with an OBGYN and it was kind of different.

2. firsttimemumm

firsttimemumm Expecting number 2 AND 3!

When I had my 'booking' appointment they went through family history, illnesses etc.. they normally do bloods (but my midwife got called to a home delivery) and weight etc too. Mainly seemed to be lots of form filling!
    Congratulations.

3. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

I had my first mw appointment at 6w 4d and it was 45 minutes and all that happened was she gave me and dh lots of info and answered our questions. I got my 12w scan and bloodwork booked (it's at a hospital, not at the mw clinic). I go back for my physical and medical history at 11w.

4. ryder

Thanks girls! I am looking forward to it, but im kinda nervous too... I guess just because it is something new, which is ridiculous, I know. Jan 28th seems like ages away!!!!!!!!!!!

5. RHR

RHR Mummy 2 Isabelle & Sophie

It's mainly form filling and lots of questions asked about your and your partners health history.

I also had some bloods taken and also needed to take a urine sample with me so they could check for key tones and also to send it away. not sure what else they check for though.

In my appointment I had a trainee midwife aks me the questions and the qualified midwife sat in the background and watched her and corrected her on any info she got wrong. I need to go back to see the midwife tomorrow to complete my book and take another blood sample to check my iron levels as we ran out of time at my first visit.

6. michelle&neo

michelle&neo Well-Known Member

hi i havent been to docs yet i got told to early do you think i should phone to make appiontment ? x

7. HollySSmith

HollySSmith Mommy and a bit pregnant!

I'm going with a midwife and that appointment is Jan 11 for me. She said it was histories, bloods, weight and a full top-to-bottom exam. She said it would be about an hour. I met her on Monday and she said at the next appointment we would discuss a scan so it won't be for a while I think :(

8. crossroads

crossroads Co-creator of a boy &girl

10 weeks seems rather late for the first appointment :confused: I'm 10 weeks and I've seen my midwife twice now (first pregnancy, no past complications)

9. HollySSmith

HollySSmith Mommy and a bit pregnant!

yeah I know it seems like they leave it long! My nurse practioner told me not to even tell her I was pregnant until I was 10weeks as I would probably miscarry (umm thanks for that tips!). I guess they want to pregnancy to be really well established before you start to receive care...kinda strange!

10. emdeb

emdeb Mummy to Aiden

I wasn't meant to see the midwife until I was at least 8 wks but have not got to go in next week at 6 wks as I might have kidney stones again and I can't take any of the meds:wacko:

11. ryder

Ya, the midwife I booked in with said they routinely dont see people until 10 weeks.

12. kelly2903

kelly2903 mum2princess an expectin

bloods family history errmmm geral pregnancy things lol you can ask any thing should answer for you some people write a list xxx