Midwife dropped the homebirth kit off this afternoon

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
so we're set for a homebirth if the birth centre is still closed.

I'm frantically looking for a pool now, though if I don't find one it won't be the end of the world. I've been looking at childrens' paddling pools but can't find any high enough. Does anyone know if any shops sell them fairly cheap?

Hubby still isn't convinced on a homebirth, though he's going along with it for me. He just can't get it into his head that it's as safe as being in a hospital if you've had a trouble-free pregnancy. He doesn't get it that there's nothing they can do at the birth centre that they can't do at home. The midwife told us she has oxygen and a basic resuscitator (sp?) in the boot of her car along with the Entonox.

She did try briefly to convince me to go to the main maternity hospital by saying they're short on midwives at the moment so they're all at the main unit and there may not be any community midwives to come out to me when I go into labour. She followed that with "have you actually been on the labour ward? You can arrange to have a look around when it's quiet, maybe that's something you'd like to do?" Err no, thanks. They deliver around 16 babies a day and when there's a shortage most of the midwives go to the high dependency end of the labour ward - so basically the other end which she said is for low risk ladies are the ones who get left as I already knew. Oh and she said if I'm not going to buy or hire a birthing pool and I want another waterbirth, my best option is to go to the main maternity unit (where they have ONE pool!!!!) With 16 women in labour at once, it's not likely I'll get the chance to use the pool there is it!:wacko:

I told hubby they may well try and convince us to go there when I do go into labour but that we need to stand our ground and if they don't send someone out when we need them to we ring an ambulance.

Fingers crossed the birth centre will be open but it's not looking likely at the moment:nope:

xx

I was so excited to get my homebirth kit last time! Had a good nosy round. We're lucky as my mw team does quite a lot of home births and own a few pools so we didn't need to buy one. I haven't really advice about your OH either other than to keep plugging away with the figures.

I personally have come to the conclusion I'd rather have a home birth out of water than a waterbirth in hospital. Our hospital has a big maternity unit and two pool rooms. When I ended up going in last time I refused to do so unless I got a pool and I did. Once there they went on about how busy it was. My conclusion is that we sort of ladies highly covet pools but actually most don't and they tend to be more free than you'd imagine. But I'd still rather be at home.

I hope your birth centre is open if that's your first choice but I bet you might find you love the homebirth if it's not!

I'm sure everything will work out beautifully in the end xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->