Midwife has said no to homebirth due to understaffing

M

MrsMama

I am currently 7 weeks pregnant with baby number 2. I am eligible for a homebirth however my midwife has left me very upset after my first app as I explained to her I wanted a homebirth and she said not possible due to understaffing!! I feel incredibly strongly about this and really want a homebirth. Is there anyway I can fight this and get what I have chosen??

I should probably also mention I had my first baby in a birthing centre and I wanted this second time round, but there are no birthing centres in my new area. So I feel like I've been told it's tough you have to go to hospital. The hospital where my sisters little boy was stillborn. Not somewhere I want to be. I had a waterbirth with my daughter so had it all planned out that I was going to get my own birthing pool at home. Now I feel worried already about having to go into hospital.

its tuff for them hun, they HAVE to send someone out to you. Also how do they know they will be understaffed when you go into labour ? Someone else will pop on with more experience im sure but they do have to send someone to you

I'm hoping if I just stay strong and refuse to go in that they will send a midwife out I'm looking up my rights and the laws etc to make sure I don't do anything wrong I just feel to be told no chance when I was only 5 weeks and 5 days is just unfair!! A lot can change in 7/8 months!! I'm not seeing her again until I'm 11 weeks now but I will persue it and make sure she knows my concerns and how determined I am to have this! X

Definitely, I second the 'how on earth do they even know they will be understaffed at the time of your labour?'. Regardless, you are entitled to a homebirth, unfortunately sometimes it has to be fought for. When my MW mentioned if the MW's on call are with someone else I'd have to come into hospital, I told her that I've planned for that and done my research and the NHS has a service to provide. I also mentioned she'd have to drag me kicking and screaming as I would not go unless there was an emergency with me or baby and I had to, even if that meant my doula ringing for an ambulance, and them waiting outside while I gave birth.

As long as you stand your ground, or your birthing partner does (you won't want to deal with this in labour!) they have to send you a MW, even if it's not someone from the hospital, bank staff etc... Theres a few women who I'm sure will give you lots more info on all the legalities etc.. of this situation, but a good website to look at in the mean time is https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Thanks indigo fairy, I looked into getting a private midwife but I don't have the money for that they seem to be on average 1000-2000 pounds! So am hoping just being firm will work. I am going to continue to plan for a homebirth. Its so strange as less than 2 years ago my friend had same midwife as I have now and she tried to push her to have a homebirth but she didn't want it, now I'm being told no chance!!

lucky for me my mw has said yes!! However i told her i new my rights that they have to send someone etc.. In the sticky someone has said if the roads are dangerous you would not want to risk delivering at the side of the road even for a planned hospital birth you would atlest have an ambulance come get you or midwifes sent out to deliver at home. If they refuse to send someone i guess in a way its refusing your human rights? as your right to decide how and where you wish to labour/deliver?

Tough luck on them ! It is your labour, and you can do it where you like!

i suppose if they are actually short staffed on the day then fair enough but its weird to say it so far in advance. the day i had my baby the hospital was on red alert and there literally were NO more midwives... i and another woman were in early labour in induction suit with no midwife as all hell was breaking lose in the maternity wards. i think in those situations a homebirth would be off the cards cause there wasn't 2 MW to send out. But 7/8 months is a long way off and so try not to worry yet. xxx

It isn't your problem - they have bank staff and they can hire people. If they choose not to budget enough then let it be their problem. 8 months is enough warning!!

I think they say a lot to see how serious you are about things, some ppl would say oh ok then and its saved the MW a hassle, stand up for yourself and make em do some work for their wage.

I'd also say, I don't want to be in a understaffed hospital either, might as well be at home!

Tell her they have 7 months to get fully staffed as you will be having your baby at home.

Check out homebirth.orgs i cant have a home birth because section for some good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->