Midwife Home Assessment & Birth Plan Visit

i think if the house is unsafe for baby then they will send social worker out to chat to you to see whatyou can do to improve :-/ just a random guess x

I think I assumed social services too, I wonder just how bad it has to be?! I hadn't done the hoovering but she didn't seem bothered! :haha:

i think if the house is unsafe for baby then they will send social worker out to chat to you to see whatyou can do to improve :-/ just a random guess x

I think I assumed social services too, I wonder just how bad it has to be?! I hadn't done the hoovering but she didn't seem bothered! :haha:

:haha: loool i would imagine if your house was full of junkies or the bedding was filthy and you obvs wasnt trying your best to keep the place clean lol when they came to mine it looked like i hadnt washed the pots for days (i probably hadnt) lol there were piles of washing everywere etc and she neva said owt about that just my nanas ornaments pmsl there still there though now and my lo is 5 and he never ever touched them once lol

:haha: loool i would imagine if your house was full of junkies or the bedding was filthy and you obvs wasnt trying your best to keep the place clean lol when they came to mine it looked like i hadnt washed the pots for days (i probably hadnt) lol there were piles of washing everywere etc and she neva said owt about that just my nanas ornaments pmsl there still there though now and my lo is 5 and he never ever touched them once lol

She said about ornaments?! My mum fostered and child minded and always had ornaments down to floor level and they were never touched!

She said about ornaments?! My mum fostered and child minded and always had ornaments down to floor level and they were never touched!

yeah she had like bowls of glass beads and stuff on fire surround like were dumb enough to let kid go near fore surround anyway lol she was rather silly we never got on with her i hope i dont have same one this time :-/ she allways semt to be really patronising she even called social services on me once because i missed a couple of appointments i was like hello im a single mom and i work all hours god send to try and raise my kid alone was there any need :-/ when they came out they even whent through the kids toy box and everything looked in cupboards all over the flamin place i was reduced to tears i would never ever do anyting to hurt even a fly let alone a baby i sobbed for days after thinking i was a bad mom all because i missed a couple of surgery appointments cos i couldnt get time of work :-(

That's awful. It'll be good when you don't have to deal with her any more. We have an open fire with fireside tools and my kids just know they're not allowed to touch or go near the fire.

my nan says if kids are born to a house with things lying around if you persistently tell them no dont touch as they are toddling they will pick up within a few weeks that they arent alloud to touch it :-/ unless they are little bleeders lol but my gran has 3 kids (no longer kids lol) 4 grandkids and 2 great grandchildren and none of us have ever messed with the stuff she has lying around ever we just all stuck to the giant mountain of toys she has in the corner lol

Its normal practice to do a home visit if you are having a home birth and its been this way for years. The midwives need to check where you are planning on giving birth to make sure you have adequate heating, enough space to walk around and get to you etc. as for everywhere else - it doesnt matter.

iv actually been in a house where a young woman had a home birth the day before (im a student midwife) and i was 25 weeks pregnant at the time and the smell was horrendous!! all you could smell when you walked through the door was smoke and urine (and a very faint whiff of weed hmmm) there was no carpet on the floor, just concrete and the sofa was ripped and the rest of the furniture was falling to pieces. as long as you have the basics that i mentioned above it wont be a problem regarding home birth.

as for inspecting the rest of the house for safety etc. thats not normally done at all (must be trust policy in sheffield!) and if it is, its done by the health visitor not the midwife :S

Scuffer - Your ready to pop i cant wait to hear your birth story and been at Jessops it will be intresting. x

Its normal practice to do a home visit if you are having a home birth and its been this way for years. The midwives need to check where you are planning on giving birth to make sure you have adequate heating, enough space to walk around and get to you etc. as for everywhere else - it doesnt matter.

as for inspecting the rest of the house for safety etc. thats not normally done at all (must be trust policy in sheffield!) and if it is, its done by the health visitor not the midwife :S

I'm not having a home birth, but I'm still having a home visit instead of my 36 week appt. No idea why, but I was told everyone has it now (might just be our area - Devon).

The midwife phoned to book it today & I told her about all the building work I have going on next week, she just said she would come the following week once all the work had been finished. I'm guessing this means we are having some kind of home check, or she could have seen me in the office, which would have been a lot easier than running round trying to get everything finished for when she comes!

Oh well, I guess I better get used to people snooping around our house lol:flower:

I always thought these things were pretty standard - either a midwife before birth or health visitor after. Certainly health visitors have visited people's homes for years. They're just looking for signs that people might need additional support (i.e. social services) in order to safeguard children. I don't think there's anything to be offended about. They know what they're looking for on these visits and it's not whether you're up to date on housework!

I also wouldn't worry if you don't have a nursery ready - they're always saying baby should be in your bedroom with you until 6 months anyway!

I have mine on friday - I've already written stuff into my birth plan, and I just need her help to pad it out further. I'm quite glad she's coming to the house - it saves me the 20 minute waddle to the children's centre!!

My midwife also insisted that my booking appointment had to be at home (at 9 weeks) which was really annoying at the time because it didn't fit well with work. I got the impression they can decide to do home visits all the way through pregnancy if they had concerns.

Scuffer - Your ready to pop i cant wait to hear your birth story and been at Jessops it will be intresting. x

If you have any extra questions after just pm me and I'll try and help x

i have a home visit on the 15th june with my midwife it is my 3rd baby and from what i remeber they dont want to check the house. With my last two mw filled in the birth plan vague section of ur notes and then just did a normal mw appointment i.e listening in and fundal height. you really dont need to stress.

I'm in Rotherham and I'm not having any home visits until baby has arrived !!
Midwife came to my home for booking appointment so maybe she assessed the house then ??????

some midwives like to do bookng appts at home because its much longer then a normal antenatal appointment - so to make sure you both get the right information etc without being interrupted or rushed like you would at the clinic they do it at home. its not to assess your house

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->