Midwife is on board with our Homebirth!

Jenniflower

Reaction score
Well I had always thought I would be a hospital kinda gal. That was until I started hypnobirthing and out of nowhere I feel I have the confidence to do this at home. My concern was that DH wouldn't be too keen on the idea but when I was expressing to him some of my concerns as to where we would but the birthing pool, if we could even have a birthing pool, etc... he had an answer for everything. So in other words he had already thought about this and seemed to be up for the idea. He still needed some time to decide though. As he was more afraid of being so far away from the hospital incase anything happened. But in the end we both decided it was definitely for us!

Well this afternoon we had another midwife appointment and it was then that I was going to let her know that I had changed my mind about the hospital birth and would now be having a homebirth. I knew all my right, I knew she couldn't say no, I knew she had to support me and yet I was so scared she wouldn't be ok with me doing it.

In the end she of course said she would support me if that's what my decision was but then naturally went on to say things like "Since it's your first birth you'll most likely have a long labour" my response "You have a chance of having any length of labour with any pregnancy" So she also said "With it being your first we're a bit apprehensive because we don't know how you're body will handle it" Agian my answer was, "Every pregnancy I have will be different so we would never know how my body will handle it."

She seemed pretty confident in my answers and towards the end she seemed completely on board with me. She is the head midwife and has told me that although she's personally never done a homebirth and has never even seen a waterbirth she's going to get herself educated in both. I really appreciated her enthusiasm towards the end of the appointment.

She mentioned quite a few times that if anything were to go wrong she would send me to the hospital and how I would feel about that. I of course said if there was any serious medical reason why I would need to I would go. I had wanted to say it's a fear of mine that an untrained midwife will be jumpy at any little problem and want to send me away. But I didn't. I figured enough for the day and I would just get her to see that I trust her and her judgement. I figure on the day if anything were to go wrong I will just make sure DH is secure enough to properly question why anything would need to be done. Me? I'll be in a relaxed state and be pretending no one exists! hahaha
:happydance:

wow thats fab news hun..glad your mw and OH are on board.
And first labours can be quick my first was 7 hours!
Good luck :D
xxx

So glad to hear your midwife is on board - it is so much nicer when you don't have to deal with the negativity.

Hey! Good for you! I have had my last two under water in the states. The books say that the water is 80% as effective as an epidural. It really does help with the strong sensations you're body goes through. I would do it again under water. Pray all goes well. This is a normal process; go with it.

Hey! Good for you! I have had my last two under water in the states. The books say that the water is 80% as effective as an epidural. It really does help with the strong sensations you're body goes through. I would do it again under water. Pray all goes well. This is a normal process; go with it.

Thanks berlitamethys :)

She seemed pretty confident in my answers and towards the end she seemed completely on board with me. She is the head midwife and has told me that although she's personally never done a homebirth and has never even seen a waterbirth she's going to get herself educated in both. I really appreciated her enthusiasm towards the end of the appointment.

free-scared-smileys-306.gif

The head MW hasnt attended a HB or even seen a WB?!! Blimey.

I'm so pleased it went well. You are going to be a trail blazer and many women who come after you will thank you for what you've taught midwifery in you area. Good work!!! x

View attachment 141877

The head MW hasnt attended a HB or even seen a WB?!! Blimey.

I'm so pleased it went well. You are going to be a trail blazer and many women who come after you will thank you for what you've taught midwifery in you area. Good work!!! x

She's the new head over in the clinic. So I think that's why she's a little un prepared. She has been to a fair few homebirths she's said but has never actually delivered one. It's the waterbirth she's never even seen. That I was a little shocked by. To not even see a waterbirth. I'm confident enough to do it on my own personally so I'm not too bothered if she doesn't know what to do hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->