Midwife or no?

Hope87

Reaction score
Hi Ladies...Hope your pregnancies are going well! This is my first child, so I'm completely new to pregnancy, prenatal care and everything that comes with it. It is exciting, terrifying and wonderful.

I understand that in every state/country offers different prenatal care and options to expecting mothers. I'm blessed to be Canadian. All my health and prenatal care is (for the most part) covered. At this time, I have the option of continuing my care with a doctor/OBGYN/Obstetrician or a midwife. I have never used a midwife, nor have some of my closest friends. Except, one did have a Dula. I have an upcoming meeting at the midwifery unit of our local children's hospital, and not too sure if this is the right option. Especially since I have to commit to a natural birth.

If you had a midwife, what was your experience like? Any advice? Suggestions?

I have had 2 home births attended by midwives and am planning the same this time. I feel comfortable knowing that i'm in familiar surroundings without unnecessary medicalisation or intervention. Everyone is different of course but I'd not choose any other way :flower:

I'm a 1st time mom too... and I loooooooove my midwife! I started seeing her for my GYN checkups before we ever started TTC. Throughout the pregnancy she has been great, so much more in tune to my needs & the baby's needs & my concerns than a traditional OB (especially as a first time mom). With the other mommies I know, almost half choose midwives rather than MD's.

I feel like OB's take more of a "cookie cutter" approach, viewing pregnancy as a scientific process that always follows a certain trajectory. But midwives realize that every pregnancy is different and our bodies don't always follow what's in the medical school textbooks. For example, early in my pregnancy I started bleeding and my HCG dropped. The OB, ER doctors, and other MD's told me I was probably having a miscarriage and there was nothing they could do. My midwife didn't want to give up so fast, so she put me on a prescription for progesterone (mine was low, but no one else bothered to check it). I feel that the progesterone played a huge role in saving our little girl.

The midwives and doulas in our area don't allow home birth for first time moms. So I will be having ours in the local hospital. My midwife works closely with our local hospital and is well respected there. They allow you have as little or as much intervention as you want.

I would always choose a midwife over an OB, if given the option.

I'm a 1st time mom too... and I loooooooove my midwife! I started seeing her for my GYN checkups before we ever started TTC. Throughout the pregnancy she has been great, so much more in tune to my needs & the baby's needs & my concerns than a traditional OB (especially as a first time mom). With the other mommies I know, almost half choose midwives rather than MD's.

I feel like OB's take more of a "cookie cutter" approach, viewing pregnancy as a scientific process that always follows a certain trajectory. But midwives realize that every pregnancy is different and our bodies don't always follow what's in the medical school textbooks. For example, early in my pregnancy I started bleeding and my HCG dropped. The OB, ER doctors, and other MD's told me I was probably having a miscarriage and there was nothing they could do. My midwife didn't want to give up so fast, so she put me on a prescription for progesterone (mine was low, but no one else bothered to check it). I feel that the progesterone played a huge role in saving our little girl.

The midwives and doulas in our area don't allow home birth for first time moms. So I will be having ours in the local hospital. My midwife works closely with our local hospital and is well respected there. They allow you have as little or as much intervention as you want.

I would always choose a midwife over an OB, if given the option.

This is very helpful! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->