Midwife said any herbal tea is safe?

MyFavSurprise

Reaction score
Tonight I had chamomile vanilla tea that had licorice root in it and couldn't kick the feeling that I wasn't supposed to have that, and when I looked it up it says not to drink it during pregnancy. She had said that red raspberry leaf was especially good but everything I read about it says not to drink that until you're ready for delivery.

Confused!

I was just pondering this today. I read the raspberry leaf tea was good for morning sickness but then I read somewhere else that it can cause contractions and to not drink it in the first trimester as said contractions can cause a miscarriage. I have loads of tea and I would love to know what I can and cannot drink from my stash. I don't see a doc for another 12 days so I can't ask.

Ive been drinking ginger and lemon tea which helped with my morning sickness. I read green tea is one to avoid.

Honestly, herbal teas contain such low actual concentrations of the herbs that you would have to be drinking gallons of the stuff to have an effect.

People love to talk about red leaf tea but I don't believe there is any actual evidence it does anything at any point of the pregnancy.

I drank RRL tea during the end of my last pregnancy... And whether it did anything or not it made have contractions, and I felt during labor it was a good thing to do, as my induction went very quickly and was pain med free :) So I'll do it again this time... And I won't be drinking it early on... Better safe than sorry.

I drink a cup of Green Tea every morning as part of my daily routine. (around 12 to 16 ounces or so)

Here it states it is fine to drink it during pregnancy. As long as you do not over do it.

My OB said chamomile after the first trimester is fine. Peppermint and rooibos is ok as well, but to avoid anything with licorice root.

all tea is safe, as long as you don't drink too much tea with caffeine in it (black tea, green tea, white tea, oolong tea) Roobios and herbal teas have no caffeine in them, so you could basically have as much as you want in a day.

Chamomile is perfectly safe, and I drank RRLT from 18 weeks on throughout my entire 2nd pregnancy and made it to full term with no complications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->