Midwife won't do blood test and wouldn't recommend them

Happy happy

Reaction score
Sooo..just got off phone to my midwife after enquiring about getting my Hcg levels checked . She basically said it's not something they do, and although I could go to my gp and ask them, she wouldn't advise anyone to have them done as it gives false hope or unnecessary stress.
Basically what would be classed as normal today wouldn't necessarily be the same next week or levels may be lower than they should today but pick up again in a few days.
Not sure how I feel now but I appreciate her honestly and looking forward to meeting her for my booking appointment in 2 weeks.
guess I've to just wait it out now...6 weeks and counting...tick tock tick tock xoxo

i had hcg done by maternity unit at 7weeks with prev preg due too bad abdo pain an the wanted to determine if viable baby an also got scan after( i wasnt told results just tht they were ok) havent had them for my 1st preg or this one.i dont understand them but i do believe they can be missleading as bubs grows diff rates. Am now 12+6 and had scan on a tues an told was only 10+1 got recaned 13 days later when according prev scan id be 12wks was mon past) i found out was 12+2 so further than thought.

Yes, not all will do blood hcg. By, say, mid 6 weeks, the ultrasound will give more info anyway according to my OB, which is why he never does hcg levels once ultrasound can be used.
He did do hcg levels with me b/4 I reached 6 weeks though and I have differing opinions on doing them. With my 1st pregnancy my hcg was wonderful and I still had a missed m/c. But then with the next 2 pregnancies, I had numbers that didn't rise appropriately and then declined a bit so I knew I was going to miscarry b/4 I actually did and so I was prepared. So I don't know. I think the usefulness would be a personal thing. And you know, I was going to post that for those who've had multiple miscarriages, just knowing the numbers can be reassuring (even though things can go wrong regardless the number), but with my 4th pregnancy my hcg number was great and I still worried until I had that first scan. Anyway, I like that at least she gave you a choice (going to your gp) and she explained her reasoning why she thinks they aren't important. Some doctors just say no and leave it at that.

In Canada (well Ontario anyway) unless you have fertility issues they don't ever check hcg. They don't even take blood to confirm pregnancy. If you got a bfp on a HPT that's good enough for them. They don't see you till you are about 8 weeks either.

My doctor always checks mine but I didn't want them checked with this pregnancy. He insisted, so I did it, but then freaked out for two days because they were low, but rose like they should. So I love them and I hate them. I had three draws with my son and I loved them. I had two with my first pregnancy, and they rose but they doubled in three days, not two. And the doctor was cautiously optimistic, which made it suck more when I miscarried. But yeah, its not really customary unless you have fertility issues or previous losses.

I think we are all on the same page, as it were. I totally get where she's coming from and from what you've all said, it confirms that it can give false hope or just worry you even more. I've had some mild cramps and general aches but no spotting whatsoever (touch wood) so hopefully all is well with my little bean. Only 2 weeks until I see my midwife face to face then another 4 weeks until our scan...now to find things to do for the next 6 weeks...shouldn't be too difficult with an adventurous toddler for a sidekick!! Xoxo

I went to get mine done by my gp as I have been spotting a wee bit and had a prior chemical. It's fairly reassuring for a first result but now have to wait for second result on Monday. Not getting scan until 7 weeks. Will
Be going crazy by then! Had to push to get it done though although when went to private uk clinic last time they insisted on it.
I think it has it's uses (and for helping identify ectopic etc) but it's not the be all and end all! X

Ahh Minno, I'm glad you're reassured by having the test done. Good luck for your 2nd set of results :)
I'm just going to wait it out as, as I've said earlier in this thread, I've had no real reason to worry myself..just a past mmc but I had had some bleeding and an early scan but everything had looked fine but I had a feeling something wasn't right .
keep us updated xoxo

It's not usually done for normal pregnancy in the US, either. It's just some people know others who had one, and they ask for it. I get betas done (at least 3-4) from the moment I find out I'm pregnant, because I had a burst tube/ectopic at 8 Wks and at the time had no idea I was pregnant (periods were just a week late for 2 months and preg tests were negative).

HCG levels are often used in the US for people with fertility issues and previous ectopic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->