Midwives attending homebirth...

miss_divine

Anya's Mummy <3
Reaction score
Hi ladies. I was wondering, if a midwife turns up to your homebirth who is a total nightmare, can you ask them to leave and insist on a replacement?
xx

I worry about this. I'm really trying to work out how to ask my MW the right questions to determine in advance if she's going to be supportive enough of my HB and ask for her not to attend me in labour if not. I already don't like her attitude and would rather get rid now than have to do that while in labour.

Of course you can ask a MW to leave your home but I'd wonder if they'd just say you had to go to hospital because there was no one else. In which case you'd have to do that or call the paramedics (unless you want an unassisted birth.)

i think it depends who is on call :shrug: I dunno who they'd send for a replacement if you sent one away.

Yes you absolutely can. You have a right to be attended by someone feel at ease with. Brief your birth partner and if it happens you could have a 'safe word' so you don't have to get into it in the birth space. Birth partner can take them on another room and sort it. They may be resistant but this is your home and your birth. Even if you were in hospital you could do exactly the same. If there is anyone you have come across in pregnancy that you know you wouldn't want attending you in labour, a quick letter or phone call to the supervisor of midwives will sort it so even if they're on call they don't come out to you. :)

It's cruical that a labouring woman is completely at ease in her birth space so everyone's energy must be just right.....this is a time you are absolutely allowed and encouraged to be a diva!

I'm sure you will be told that you will get whoever is on call but if they turn up and you do not like them they can send for the 2nd MW to replace them and then it's up to the team leader to send someone else to you.

I was thankful that MW1 was rather nice - although a lot like Jo Brand but less scathing LOL, I cannot even tell you what my 2nd MW looked like though LOL I had my eyes shut!

chances are you won't GAF anyway :rofl: Im hoping to wait until I'll close to transition to phone MWs so I probably won't speak to them much at all until after the birth.
Also worth remembering that community MWs who attend homebirths are generally very pro natural birth :thumbup: and you'll be at home in YOUR domain which hopefully will make you feel more in control.

Exactly leave it as long as possible before calling so they arent bothering you for long!

I was 7-8cm when mine arrived and got around to checking!

Also worth remembering that community MWs who attend homebirths are generally very pro natural birth :thumbup: and you'll be at home in YOUR domain which hopefully will make you feel more in control.

That's not the case in some areas but they certainly should be better than the labour ward mws....all mws are supporsed to be pro normal birth but their own experiences will defnietly influence their practice...that and the fact they do have guidelines to adhere to .

I know who will be coming to me if its during the day on what days, as Ive already had certain students booked in ready for if its a day they are on.. Only ones I know nothing about till be night mw's.. All the com mw's I have met though have all been very very pro home/waterbirth and everyone I have met is very excited about me having one as they love to attend them but we dont get many around here apparently so from the mw's I have spoken to they will be fighting to attend me :haha:

My best friend is a midwife and you can definitely request it, but depending on the circumstances there may be no one else available. I think it depends on where you live though in terms of availability.

Student mws are usually wonderful at home and hospital births too. All bright eyed and bushy tailed....in love with birth and wanting to serve women, if you know there's a nice one working on community, invite her to your home birth! She'll be amazing support and thank you for the experience too :)

Student mws are usually wonderful at home and hospital births too. All bright eyed and bushy tailed....in love with birth and wanting to serve women, if you know there's a nice one working on community, invite her to your home birth! She'll be amazing support and thank you for the experience too :)

Absolutely agree with this :thumbup:

I was lucky enough to have a caseholding student midwife who attended most of my AN appointments and was there for Rudy's birth and she was brilliant. It was so reassuring to see a familiar face in labour and she came to see us postnatally as well and gave us a lovely card hinting that she hoped to see us again for baby number 3 :lol:

Would definitely recommend having a student mw present at a homebirth, it can be a positive experience for both of you.

As for who turns up on the day- the mw who came to our homebirth was one i had never met before either antenatally or during my pregnancy/birth/pp period with Toby so a total stranger but fortunately we got on well with her, she had a nice vibe about her and combined with my student mw being there, it created a very positive atmosphere.

Although tbh, they were only around for about 45 minutes when i first called them (2cms) and then they came back again a couple of hours later, just 10 minutes before Rudy was born!

We never got a 2nd midwife because everything progressed so quickly at the end but when i later found out who the 2nd midwife in question was, i was very very glad. I doubt in our case it would have affected the outcome as everything went so smoothly and Rudy was in such a hurry! But i was still relieved we hadn't had to deal with her at that special time as having met her before i knew for a fact she was not on our wavelength at all and we just didn't click. If she had been the 1st midwife i would have been disappointed but i'm not sure if i'd have been confident enough to ask her to leave, so briefing your birthing partner beforehand is a really good idea :thumbup:

Ive asked my HoMw about this as I really do not want my original MW to turn up at my door but I was told if shes the only one on call then tough shit basically. I havent really made a fuss as hopefully theres enough people on that the likelyhood of it being her is quite low. Maybe I should check beforehand tho.

If theres no one else on call, is it the same 'your staffing problems arent my problem, sort it out' thing?

im having a student present at mine. ive already been asked and asked about space etc in my house :)

Ive asked my HoMw about this as I really do not want my original MW to turn up at my door but I was told if shes the only one on call then tough shit basically. I havent really made a fuss as hopefully theres enough people on that the likelyhood of it being her is quite low. Maybe I should check beforehand tho.

If theres no one else on call, is it the same 'your staffing problems arent my problem, sort it out' thing?

Was it the HoM or SoM? I'd go above them because that's not true or acceptable. You do not have to have her if she's on call. If you email the HoM and copy in AIMS they will probably listen and if not copy in the chief exec of the trust and they will DEFINITELY listen!

Ive just checked and it was the Community Midwifery Matron actually. I got her number as I called the HoM and got an answerphone message saying to contact this person who I thought was the HoM but ive just checked and shes the CMM. Anyway. Will email them both as I have my hb visit in 10 days so would be good to sort it before then.

Yeah she a SoM at the most....the HOM will ensure things are sorted. She's just chancing her arm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->