midwives have really p'd me off

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by lillysmum, Oct 4, 2008.

1. lillysmum

lillysmum Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys

I am so upset right now!! :cry:

Let me start at the beginning. You know how between 15 and 18 weeks you are offered the triple screening test well I am 17 weeks and hadn't recieved an appointment for it yet. I couldn't remember from the last time whether I was supposed to make the appointment or whether they made it and sent out the date to me etc.

So I phoned the doctors surgery to ask them last week and the woman on reception told me the hospital would have sent me an appointment out but she'd just check and get back to me. So the midwife phoned me back and said that at my booking appointment we would have been asked if we wanted the downs screening done and an appointment would have been arranged then (it wasn't - even my OH who doesn't suffer from brain-siv syndrome insists it wasn't made)

So anyway the midwife says - not to worry, we can get it done next week no problems. So I phoned my GP and made the appointment with the midwife to get the bloods taken - sorted (or so I thought)

Today I got a letter through the post saying my appointment had been made known to me at my scan on 25th August and the appointment for the bloods was on the 22nd September and seeing as I had missed it did I still want it?

I am so annoyed!!! They never made any such appointment with me, so now I'm thinking do I want this done at all. Me and my oh have had converstaions about it and it wouldn't change how we felt about a baby and they only tell you whether you are low, medium or high risk for it, with high risk meaning you get a amnio

I just dunno what to do,

2. danni2609

danni2609 Guest

Aww thats rubbish hun! Well i didnt have it as the risk was very low and it wouldnt have changed my mind on baby either

3. Deeper Blue

Deeper Blue Well-Known Member

Sounds like a big of a c*ck up on their part and I think you've got every right to be pee'd off. As for whether you still want the tests done I think only you can make that choice, and even though it may not effect your decision as to whether to keep it, if you found out you were high risk then it may help in preparing yourself and planning things and it wouldn't mean you'd -have- to have the amnio if you didn't want. Good luck with things and I hope you given them a piece of your mind when you see 'em next! x

4. donnad

donnad Well-Known Member

hi my mw told me that i had to make my own appointment when i was 15 weeks but i never have simply because i didnt want months of worry if the results came back high as i wouldnt have the amnio anyway goodluck with what ever you decide to do.

5. katieandbump

katieandbump Well-Known Member

I agree, that's a really good way to look at it. I'm taking this view although we don't care about the results it does help you be more prepared, wudnt have the amnio test done as its so risky. xxx

6. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

when was the postage on the letter dated? sometimes post is slow but i seen people sending stuff out after the date to save their asses. If yuo missed it maybe you where not meant to get it done. i didnt have any done I only have 2 scans so far and thats all. I refused the rest as I didnt think there was a point on knowing that early and having the rest of the pregnancy worrying.

did they say anying was wrong with baby i scans? mine came up ok an that made me feel alot better than rest of their tests as sometimes they can be wrong i read.

7. VicLl

VicLl Pregnant with 2nd baby

I didn't have these blood tests done. I wouldn't abort a baby anyway so there would be no point in worrying myself. I wouldn't even want the amnio done so if you feel the same way perhaps you don't need to have them done. XXX

8. Amanda

Amanda Mum of 3

I agree, sounds like a big cock-up on their part!

My mw told me to book an appointment with her for 15 weeks, and this would be normal check-up and she would take bloods if I wanted the triple done.

9. mrscookie

mrscookie Mama and expecting

I would be annoyed too sweetie,
    we chose not to have it done, we love this baby no matter what and knowing there was a problem would not make us change our mind on keeping her. Plus on the 20 week scan, alot of major problems can be picked up then too so we felt no need to know.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. Hevz

Hevz 4 beautiful children

Aww sweetie....maybe the appointment letter got lost in the post:shrug:

Is it worth doing now??? My consultant said that if you wouldn't go as far as having an amnio (which you have a greater chance of miscarriage than you have having a baby with Downs Syndrome) then there was no point having triple test and getting worried about the results that my consultant described as unneccessarily worrying and often misleading.

Hope everything works out for you babe:hugs:

11. tiggertea

tiggertea Mum of Two

aw hun! :hugs:
    have a good chat with oh and come to the decision - as others have said..... think about what you will do if the risk is "high".... will you have the amnio? is abortion an option for you? if the answer is no to one/both.... do you need the stress of the tests in the first place?

12. Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

Things like that really annoy me so I know how you feel. I decided not to have the test in the end cos me and OH said it wouldn't change anything anyway so there didn't seem any point. x

13. enigma

enigma mum of 3 nearly 4.

Id be annoyed too.
    If it was me though, i wouldent bother, just ask if they can look for soft markers at your scan, they can detect some of the symptoms through that, thats what ive gone for.

14. pennysbored

pennysbored Well-Known Member

My doc just sent me to the lab after my last appointment. You guys need special appointment to have a blood test? We just need a requisition from our docs in Canada.

And I almost opted out of my triple screen, but my doctor told me I was in no way obliged to take an amino test, and like Deeper Blue says, it could help you mentally prepare for the possibility of a special needs child.

But that really sucks, lillysmum....

15. lillysmum

lillysmum Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys

Thanks everyone. Am still not decided about whether to have it done or not but both me and my OH are both in agreement that it wouldn't change how we felt about the baby and if it came back as high risk I wouldn't have the amnio done because of the risk.

The letter was dated the 3rd oct, after i phoned to enquire.

16. elm

elm Mama

:hugs: sorry they've messed you around. Thought I'd just share my thoughts on the triple test - I decided to have it done as I'm considering a home birth, if the risk of Downs had been high then I would have decided I'd definitely have a hospital birth, that's the only reason I had it done - wouldn't have had the amnio if it had been high because of the risks involved and it wouldn't have changed anything.

x

17. jms895

jms895 Well-Known Member

Tell them to get it sorted now! Tell them you are writing to local newspaper with MWs name, then they will get their arses into gear. So sorry they upset you hun :hugs:

18. Sweetpea7830

Sweetpea7830 Well-Known Member

Based on the date it does sound like they were doing some "CYA" - we decided that we would not do the testing by the way. We would keep the baby no matter what, and we didn't want to go through the pregnancy worried about a possibility of things being this way or that. Once they told us the % of false positives, that made the decision even more clear.