Migraines & no Meds...

Mrs. Love

Reaction score
I suffer from sinus migraines. Always have. Fortunately about 3 yrs ago I found a combination of Meds that help. Advil sinus (ibuprophine and phylephrine) helped some for weaker ones but if that didn't work I found butalital knocked even the worst out.

Now that I'm pregnant I can't take any of them. I tried a Tylenol and obviously it doesn't do a thing. Any advise on dealing with this? I'll talk to my dr. This week when I go in for my blood test confirmation of the pregnancy.

I'm copying and pasting from a reply I left in a similar thread, but hope you can find something that helps! I had one absolutely horrible migraine in my first trimester, and while i've had some bad headaches since, thankfully nothing has come close to that one... (knock on wood!)

>>Everyone would constantly tell me to hydrate, and I was sure that I was... turns out pregnant women are recommended to have almost 3L of water a day- and I was nowhere close to that. The more water I drink, the better I feel. But- I still get them.

People recommended all kinds of things- most of which I haven't tried. (I usually drink a ton of water, take some tylenol, and hide under sheets in a dark room for hours.)
They said try massages, ice pack on temples/back of neck, putting feet in hot tub for a while to try to draw blood away, eating a tablespoon of coconut oil, peppermint oil on temples, yoga, a cup of coffee... I can't vouch for any of those though!

(from https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-second-trimester/2213707-help-pregnancy-migraines.html)

My OB actually says that tylenol products (like sinus) are safe to take- not sure if it works though...

I'm right there with you girl! I'm only just 4wks as of yesterday, but the past 4 nights I have had brutal migraines. Nausea in the morning, and migraines in the evening (with nausea, sensitivity to light, inability to move without the pain worsening severely) seems to be the pattern these past few days. And I had actually had a significant improvement in the frequency of my migraines in the past several years. But I was taking Zomig for them when I got them. Now I can't... and apparently I can't even take Advil.

I do find that a cup of coffee can often help, but even that isn't ideal for pregnancy.

I've also been recommended to take B vitamins, specifically B3, so I started taking a B complex with B3 in it.

I also have been working with my acupuncturist on the migraines. I was seeing her for fertility and got my BFP 7 weeks after starting with her and the experience has been great so far. Now she's changed the treatments to help with miscarriage prevention, the migraines and nausea, as well as insomnia which I also suffer from and can no longer take meds for.

Anyway, I feel your pain...literally! Let me know what your doctor says! I'll be seeing my midwife soon and will pass on any other suggestions I get. :)

Hi, sorry for your situation, but the good news is many women find that during pregnancy their migraines seem to improve but mainly during last 2 trimesters. Migraine therapy in pregnancy is complicated. The available treatment options cannot always be applied to the pregnant or postpartum patient, because of the potential effects of these compounds on the foetus and (via lactation) the newborn.

Some painkillers like paracetamol, ibuprofen, and aspirin are considered safe to use in pregnancy. However, check with your doctor, particularly if you are getting headaches more often than a couple of days a week.

Try to identify migraine triggers, this can help predict an attack and enable you to take preventative action. Keeping a migraine diary over the course of the pregnancy can help to identify possible triggers, and in turn help you to better understand and manage your migraine. You may find certain changes in a diet or lifestyle can help you reduce frequency/severity of your attacks. Of course, some triggers are unavoidable and others may be caused by the pregnancy itself. Deciding to take medication should be based on whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks to the baby. You should always consult your doctor.
Hope it helps.

I too suffer from migraines, but luckily *knock on wood* I've only had one or two bad ones so far. I used to roll my eyes when people said "stay hydrated" but seriously it helps so much. As soon as you feel one coming on don't wait, go ahead an take some Tylenol the moment you think you're head even might hurt, then get a glass of cold water and lay down in the dark. That has helped me so much. Also you can try heat on your head... that dilates your blood vessels while cold constricts them. And try not to get too hungry, always keep snacks around! Good luck!

Thanks o much guys... Goes to get water now....

I have suffered with mg for over 20 years and tried everything till I got a very simple solution. My mg are linked to hormones so I would always get them around starting my period.My magic is just aspirin but the most important thing is to take it before or just with the very very first signs.If you already got the mg it will not help you.my mg is with aura so I know its on the way but if yours is without aura then it might be tricky.i dont get mg when pg, thanks god for that.good luck with finding the right treatment.

Hi, sorry for your situation, but the good news is many women find that during pregnancy their migraines seem to improve but mainly during last 2 trimesters. Migraine therapy in pregnancy is complicated. The available treatment options cannot always be applied to the pregnant or postpartum patient, because of the potential effects of these compounds on the foetus and (via lactation) the newborn.

Some painkillers like paracetamol, ibuprofen, and aspirin are considered safe to use in pregnancy. However, check with your doctor, particularly if you are getting headaches more often than a couple of days a week.

Try to identify migraine triggers, this can help predict an attack and enable you to take preventative action. Keeping a migraine diary over the course of the pregnancy can help to identify possible triggers, and in turn help you to better understand and manage your migraine. You may find certain changes in a diet or lifestyle can help you reduce frequency/severity of your attacks. Of course, some triggers are unavoidable and others may be caused by the pregnancy itself. Deciding to take medication should be based on whether the potential benefits outweigh the risks to the baby. You should always consult your doctor.
Hope it helps.
Ibuprofen and aspirin (in higher doses) are not safe to take during pregnancy.

OP, I'm sorry you're having a tough time. My migraines did get a bit better in 2nd tri iirc, but the only thing that helped me was sitting in a quiet, dark room.

I recommend trigger point therapy. My migraines of 5 years disappeared after the second session. It's safe when you are pregnant too. It's just a local anesthetic in tight muscles in your neck. It was covered by insurance too. Another thing that helps is an ice pack on my forehead for 20 minutes.

I'm with you! If I catch it early I can head it off with tylenol and accupressure on a few certain headache points... however when they would get bad they only thing that would help was a prescription my doc finally had me try that's a combination of butalbital-tylenol-caffeine.

I spoke with my doctor about this the other day... in case I do get a migraine and he recommended that at the first signs to try and head it off with a tylenol and a cup of coffee.

I can usually catch mine though... Instead of a visual aura, mine is so weird... I have an olfactory aura... I smell burning & sulphur a few hours before my migraine will hit.

I'm with you! If I catch it early I can head it off with tylenol and accupressure on a few certain headache points... however when they would get bad they only thing that would help was a prescription my doc finally had me try that's a combination of butalbital-tylenol-caffeine.

I spoke with my doctor about this the other day... in case I do get a migraine and he recommended that at the first signs to try and head it off with a tylenol and a cup of coffee.

I can usually catch mine though... Instead of a visual aura, mine is so weird... I have an olfactory aura... I smell burning & sulphur a few hours before my migraine will hit.

Thanks, the butalbital-tylenol-caffeine. (brand name fiorset) is what takes them away. The Midwifes nurse told me over the phone yesturday that I should try Aspirin free Excedrin (Exederin tension headache) it's just tylonal and caffiene! Once my head died down a bit (still there but not terrible) I tried it and it knocked it the rest of the way out. I think you're all right that it has to be done at the first signs because once it's bad nothing will touch it!

She did say try Exedrin tension first because it's better to use that but IF that didnt work I could take the fioriset... I do need to get a script for that now though as my old is expired:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->