MIL (I dont like) took/takes pictures of ONLY my fiance and baby together

HSDR2017

Reaction score
Myself and my technically m-i-l never had the best relationship for way too much to type. Regardless my fiance was in jail for 3 mos for a stupid probation violation and his mom asked to visit.

We went over to my parents and she came over to see him and my daughter since he just got out of jail this past week.

This is the first time she seen him since he got out but I let her see our daughter a couple times when she asked to see her.. she never took any pics of me holding our daughter or asked me if she could!

She also told him to smile and look at the camera after saying "I want to get a picture of your and Natalie " then ahe proceeded to take atleast 5 pics of my fiance holding our babygirl.

I was livid because I waited to see if she would ask to take a pic of our FAMILY together and she just sat back down after clearing her throat!!

Would anyone else be annoyed, irritated and offended or is it just me?

My fiance didnt ask me to get in any pictures either and didn't seem annoyed. He got annoyed when I brought it up and wouldn't agree or disagree with me. He said he wouldn't care if it was the other way around (my Mom only taking a pic of me and my baby and actually saying it out loud without inviting him in and telling him to get in since we are a FAMILY!!!

Am I right or wrong here?

I'd be hurt too, but it's totally possible your MIL didn't mean to hurt you or offend you. Personally, I get really shy about taking photos of people. Usually I only take photos of the people I know best. It's possible your MIL just wanted photos of her son and the baby and was worried you'd be annoyed if she tried to take photos of you. Maybe next time, you could ask if she'd take photos of the whole family together? I agree that a thoughtful thing to do is to include everyone, and most people would try to remember to do that, but if you've had a tense relationship in the past, maybe it's just a case of both being uncertain or nervous about offending the other person.

It was in a condescending way. She say out loud "I want to take pictures of you and Natalie together", meanwhile I was standing right there and I waited to see if she or my fiance would tell or ask me to get in our family picture!

As much as we want people to act in a conscientious way and consider other people's view points, it's pretty IMPOSSIBLE for everyone to do this all the time. You have to tell people how you feel and what you want, otherwise you may not get it. At the time you could have said "Oh when you've finished taking those, can you get one of me in with them? We haven't got many yet." If she'd have said "NO" at that point then you would be right to be offended. No matter whether you think she's a horrible person or not, she can't be a mind reader. It's normal for her to want pictures of her child and grandchild. Would it be lovely for her to want you in them too? Yes of course. But is it abnormally mean to just take the two of them while they are sat together right infront of her? Not really I don't think.

P.S She is also part of your family but you don't mention if you took any of her and her son and grandchild together...

I think, unless we are really keen on capturing things on camera, we tend to just take the picture that we see front of us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->