MIL is acting bizarre/confused and doiong odd things. Anyone have experiences in this

ProudMum

Reaction score
Hi girls,
Not sure If anyone remembers my post a few weeks back about the MIL but she's acting extremely odd.
My family and I met OH and his mother for lunch last week, well I say we met her but she was late so in theory she met us.
Anyway, we arranged to meet at 12.30- OH came to collect my family and I at 12 and called his mum to tell her we'd see her at 12.30 to which she replied "I'm walking up there now".
We get into the restaurant and she's not there- 20 mins pass by, still no sign.OH calls her 4 times, no answer....
EVENTUALLY she wanders in, her hair had been scalped,she had the lot chopped off (totally out of charecter)
So we're sat there talking and she doesnt appear to be with it and is saying things that to me, made no sense.
She paid hardly any attention to my son and if truth is known I dont think she knew who he was.
On one occasion my son was hanging over the chair that she was sitting on, about ready to fall flat on his head and MIL didnt even notice.

Since then she has got on wrong buses, fallen over randomly, attempted to help make dinner and dropped it all over the floor- she doesn't seem to know who she's talking to when we call her and doesnt even manage to say "bye" after the conversation; she just hangs up.
Also, her family have been contacting OH's sister saying how they're "concerned" about her and have suggested she is a burden.
She was NEVER like this before and all her blood tests have come back clear.
OH received a call last night from his aunt suggesting he should go and psend christmas with his mum and family as it may be her last.

Nobody knows whats the matter with her.. we cant understand it.
She also went to some sort of craft fayre, tried to buy some bits and bobs and was not able to coount the money, as tho it was foreign currency or something.
What does this sound like?
I said dementia but OH said no...

i'm sorry but I agree with you it sounds like dementia. My grandma has Alzheimas and this is how she started out too.

Maybe your OH is in denial?

We got my grandma diagnosed by going through social services and the doctor.

Its sounds like it could be some sort of Alzeihmers type disease. Is she getting a psych referral? She really needs to be taken back to her gp xxx

No, she hasnt told them about the confusion, just tiredness. They tested her blood for lack of certain vitamins and also diabetes, but all clear.
If truth is known I dont think she is even aware of her actions.
My gran had dementia but I think to some extent it was less noticable on her because she was always one of those crazy type grannies anyway lol..
OH's Mum is not the crazy sort of gran (if you know what I mean) she's serious all the time which is why all this confusion stands out more...

Def. sounds like dementia of some kind.

You may need to contact her doctor yourself and express your concerns, then they can have a closer look when she next goes in. You really cant leave it in case something serious happens - like leaving a pot on the stove or a candle lit or the door wide open etc.

She didnt have a mini stroke did she? This happened to my Nana! xx

Well, she was forced to go to the drs by my SIL and she has now been referred to the mental health team for testing.
Not sure what this means but I guess its just a wating game now.
I spoke to MIL this morning and she just seemed oblivious to everything and totally vague, so I contacted OH to let him know I had called her offering my help and what response I got from her and he said " I think this may be the end for her" :(
So sad that he's talking this way... I wanna help them so bad but MIL just doesnt seem to want anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->