MIL put LO to sleep on his tummy

its true what pp said, so much more research has been done since my mums generation had babies i wish theyd stop banging on a bout "well its not done you any harm" :dohh:
if it were my mil id be furious, in fact thats why my mil has//will never babysit alfie i just know she wouldnt stict to them just to piss me off lol!!
honestly though if you no longer feel comfortable with your mil looking after your lo's after that then who could blame you,

<3

Sorry but that is completely unacceptable. Aside from the obvious risks to your LO, she knowingly went against your wishes and is completely unrepentant about it.

This woman does not respect you as a Mother and WILL go against anything you want for your child if she disagrees with you, regardless of what information you provide or how many times you have expressed your wishes.

If I was in the same boat there would be no way in hell that she would be looking after my LO again. She wont like it, but it is all down to her and what she decided to do.

nope not over reacting at all, I'm guessing you had told her you didn't want LO on their tummy? If thats the case then she hasn't followed what you had asked, I'd be furious if my MIL didn't do something how I wanted

^^WSS

Hugs xx

very very wrong and your not over reacting at all! thats so disrespectful what did u say to her?

the trouble with older gen they always think oh well they did it so its ok? when things change because of research etc i would also go nuts but when you go nuts it makes you look nuts!! seems like your over reacting when your not xx

Obviously she has total disregard for how you chose to parent and will just do it her way.

I would be furious tbh and not let her mind lo again.

Our MIL seems to have her own methods as well. She always messes with the temperature on the bottle warmer. I set it to 38 but she'll push it to 40 or 45. And when I use the bottle warmer to sterilize she'll turn it off because it's too hot...hello that's exactly what I wanted it to do and it hasn't reached boiling yet! Plus she likes to apply a pound of baby powder after baths. I keep telling her it's not healthy for the baby to breath that in. Now I've substituted half of the bottle with corn flour. And the last thing is she insists on using honey to clean the baby's tongue. I use water and it works fine.

That's pretty disrespectful. I put my LO to sleep on his tummy and would be very upset if someone ignored my wishes and insisted on trying to get him to sleep on his back. He'd spend the whole time screaming and crying and I'd come back to a tired, cranky baby.

That's pretty disrespectful. I put my LO to sleep on his tummy and would be very upset if someone ignored my wishes and insisted on trying to get him to sleep on his back. He'd spend the whole time screaming and crying and I'd come back to a tired, cranky baby.

WSS. I think we go against the grain here though (with regards to tummy sleeping) seity:blush: xox

no you're not over reacting! what if something had've happened to him in her care after she disobeyed what you had said?
anyone caring for your baby should follow your rules.

on top of tummy sleeping being dangerous and increasing the risk of SIDs, i read somewhere that CHANGING babies sleep position from what they're used to also increased the risk of SIDs.

i think you really need to speak with MIL and make sure she knows what she did was unacceptable and that she needs to honor what you've asked her to do when she baby sits

I don't think ur over reacting at all. I think most of us in that position would have felt the same way.

Changing a babys sleepin position from back to tummy increases the risk of sids, even if its only for 1 nap. This is not just a thing thought up, its real facts about a real danger that ur mil placed ur Lo in when u had explicitly told her not to.

Did u say anything to her at the time? I would definately have to say again to her that this.is.not a game of who can be the best, who has more experience etc. This is serious and u have every right to be angry.

My mil said today that Lo should be using a forward facing fixed car seat from 4 months. Normally I will take in what people say and thank them even if u don't agree but because this was a safety issue I clearly said no I'd be having her rear facing for as long as possible.

I hope things work out.

Xxx

Meant to add I don't have an issue as such with parents who chose to tummy sleep as this is their choice. Ops choice was taken away.

Show her this info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_Sleep
and tell her if she doesn't respect your wishes she won't be looking after LO's again.
She totaly deserves a bollocking for that!

It has been shown to reduse the numbers of SIDS cases by 50% since the campaign started!

I know some people put their babies to sleep on their front but I think a lot of those that do, do so because it is what their LO needs and are making an informed choice for THEIR baby. She is not looking after HER baby so has no right to make this choice.

Especially as they are only 12-13 weeks and were premature! (I think I was looking at OP's ticker when I saw that!)

I would be raging! It's especially bad when they were premature - I'm so paranoid about Sophie with her being premature. She had no right to do that with your baby - your baby, your rules. She doesn't deserve to look after him again. xx

I didnt even click who the OP was til now katy- and thats another massive reason why MIL was bang out for disrespecting raquel

That is totally unacceptable IMO. I would not beat around the bush I would tell her (and have your OH tell her) that she will not be able to babysit again if she cannot respect your wishes on this matter - period.

I would have told her off frankly and I usually believe in diplomacy. :nope:

I don't think the fact she put him on his belly is a bad thing (as back in the day that was the done thing!)
I do think the fact that she went against your will is! I don't give my LO sugar of any kind, just because there's no need atm, but my mum always wants to feed her anything she has in and when I say no I get the "Awhhh, mean mummy" thing

But it's up to us at the end of the day, they're out babies x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->