milk abroad.

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by ljo1984, Jun 1, 2011.

1. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

hiya were going to cyprus in 3 weeks and was wondering what to do milk wise for imogen. shes on cows milk this year but dont know what it will be like to buy there, i dont want her to end up with an upset stomach or anything so wondered what others do. buy fresh milk there or take powedered with us?

2. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

I'd take powdered or UHT with me xx

3. Natasha2605

Natasha2605 2 girlies <3

I was wondering this too. We go away in ten days! My mum said to me that she *thinks* that full fat cows milk has a green top as opposed to our blue one so I need to make sure I buy the right one.

Won't it curdle really quick if we take it to the beach or something?
    She's still on three or four bottles a day!
    Sorry to hi jack your thread lol but I'm so confused about what to do! I was debating takin formula for the two weeks we're away but I don't want to get into the habit of her having formula again!

4. Mrs Dot

Mrs Dot Mummy to Harry

Could you stick with cows milk if she's already used to it and take a mini cool bag with you and some of those ice block things for when you go out? It seems like a shame to take a step back if you've moved her onto cows milk. I would imagine the milk abroad would have to be pasteurised like it is here so it should be fine, so long as you keep it as cool as you can and buy fresh each day? Hotels usually have freezers in the room in the mini fridge? or you could ask the hotel to keep them in the freezer for you if not?

5. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

ha ha no its fine!! we all need the advice lol. imogen will only take a bottle on a night now i dont know why she wont entertain it any other time! ive tried all sorts ha ha. OH said we could get a pint when we go out for tea and use that for her bottle (not like she'd drink a pint!!) and ask for hot water to heat it. but im just worried about their milk been different and if it doesnt agree with her.
    you could get a bottle cooler maybe? otherwise id suggest powdered to be sure its ok, it wont matter about the water getting warm. its all confusing, it was last year but now its a whole new set of questions ha ha.

6. mummytobe

mummytobe 2 little girls

We're gonna use the cows milk abroad, im not keep on putting her on powdered when shes not had it before. I was trying to research and from ive read it does taste different so i dont know how thatl affect LO. Luckily my LO doesnt drink much milk anyways so it wouldnt be the end of the world if she doesnt have much there. Ive started giving her cold milk now so when we're abroad we wont have to warm it up :)

7. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

think i'll give cows milk a go then! might buy a couple of cartons of aptimal at the airport though, just incase. thanks girls.

8. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

We were on holiday in Portugal when Anna was 14 months.

When self-catering we always take days trying to find milk that tastes normal for our own cereals nevermind trying to find full-fat normal tasting milk for Anna!!

We took powdered formula as she was still having up to 3 bottles per day then. From 12-14 months Anna was on cows milk, just 1 week on formula didnt make any difference, she was back on cows milk the day we got home.

Prices over there, and in most places on holiday are so expensive so do take EVERYTHING WITH YOU!!

This time, we will be off to Lanzarote when Anna is 17 months and she is only on 1 bedtime bottle - I will take 6 small cartons in the suitcase!

I just wouldnt want the hassle of buying several different milks trying to find decent stuff or the expensive of paying 3 times as much when I can take it with me!

:flower:

9. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

Mmmmmm I didn't think of price! And cyprus is expensive anyway which won't be good when were testing different milks to find a decent one! Were staying in a hotel and on the Internet it says you can't use the mini bar for our own stuff so what's left in the bottle would be wasted aswell!
    She had occasional formula from 7-11 month and took to cows milk instantly so don't think there'll be any taste issues for her.

10. caggimedicine

caggimedicine Mummy to Harry

This might be wrong, but we went to Corfu for a week recently and I didn't give Harry any milk. But he did have a lot of calcium in his diet with all the cheeses, yogurts also, oh yes... and of course, ice cream! It was only a week though.

11. MrsT2B

MrsT2B Well-Known Member

We have been to cyprus, spain and france with our little one, all whilst he is on cows milk. The full fat milk is green top in europe however, nearly all supermarkets sell cravendale full fat whole milk.

This tastes exactly the same as it does in the UK and our LO didnt notice any different and it is only a little more expensive than here in the UK.

HTH

XX

12. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

I get cravendale here as it has a longer shelf life than supermarket brands but they don't do Small bottles so will be no good when we don't have a fridge to put it in ha ha. Might see if we can when we get there then I can always get some otherwise I'll take cartons just in case! That will be the plan ha ha. X

13. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

You mentioned there is a minibar.....the hotel we were had a minibar also. I said to reception I was emptying it and putting essentials for baby in it. We left the minibar contents right next to the minibar - it was no problem.:flower:

14. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

Yeh last year we put our stuff in it but at this hotel on the Internet it say they will fine you for putting your own things in it!! Bit extreme if you ask me!! Ha ha but we'll find out when were there maybe they might say it's ok if it's milk for a baby!

15. jane99

jane99 Well-Known Member

Just be aware of putting of packing UHT cartons in your suitcase when flying abroad, mine exploded in my suitcase.....

My LO drank local milk in the Algarve & it was fine.

16. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Fresh milk over there is fine :) as long as its pasturised (which it will be from a supermarket), its just the same as here.

17. Blah11

p.s. im going to cyprus 1 week on sat :happydance:

18. ljo1984

ljo1984 2DDs,2angels <3

have you got a bump yet blah? i'll be 14 weeks when we go and i want a little bump ha ha! i took some cartons last year and they all got there ok! got some in airport for hand luggage aswell and they were fine too! i'll get milk over there if i can use the room fridge any cartons i dont use i'll give to my sister in law when we get back.

19. bubbles123

bubbles123 Well-Known Member

As long as you buy it from a supermarket as a previous poster says and it is pasteurised and/or UHT then it will be absolutely fine. I'd avoid any from a farm shop or anything like that though. Enjoy your holiday!

20. Blah11

Not really, suppose maybe a little one. I'll be near 18w when I come back so FX I have a bump for then.