Milk at 1 year

Mojo has been on stage 1, but I've been gradually mixing it with the 1+ milk, he's now on 5 scoops of 1+ and 1 scoop of stage 1. I'm going to keep him on the 1+ milk for a little while yet because he's vegetarian at the moment and I worry he's getting enough iron.

My Daisy is breastfed twice a day, morning and evening, but also has 5oz bottle of cows milk during the day. I don't warm it or anything and she seems to like it. Will only drink it out of a bottle though and not a cup.

Hi Hayley,

April has 3 x 7 oz bottles a day, and has plenty of cheese and other dairy throughout the day. I've started to replace one of her 3 bottles with cows milk (currently on stage 3) and will be letting to do it at her own pace. I didn't want to do it 'suddenly' so have used it in cooking and with her cereals for a good few months.

Regarding encouraging Daisy to drink more, does she have water throughout the day aswell and if so how much does she have?

forgot to say alexa has hers warmed up too - tried to give her cornflakes with cold milk and she ejected it rather quickly!

They are funny little things aren't they? Holly will have it cold on cereal, and if she has a bit during the daytime from a beaker she'll have it cold - but at bedtime it has to be room temp!

I changed Lucas over to the Cow & Gate toddler milk when he was about 13months old. I did try Cows milk a few times (usally when id run out of formula on a Sunday night!) and we would only take a few ounces instead of 7/8 and his nappies were really mushy so have stuck with the formula eversince.

If she isn't that keen on milk I would try and give her more milk based foods, like cauliflower cheese, rice pudding etc.

BTW Congratulations !! :kiss:

I switched Lucas gradually over to cows milk just before his birthday, starting with his morning bottle and then after a week both his morning and night bottle. Lucas isn't a big drinker of milk or anything though so I always make sure he has a fromage frais after his meals (including breakfast) :flower:

I just switched him over to cow's milk. Had a long chat with the HV with his poor eating etc and the issues we had when he was little with constipation on sma and then on follow on milk so she didnt reccomend the toddler milk because the iron levels would probably cause us problems again so he gets cow's milk either cold or at room temperature and a vitamin drop daily because he isn't the best eater!

Abigail is on follow on milk. I switched her to it because she had a run of colds / teething etc so she wasn't too consistent with her eating and I wanted to make sure she was getting enough. The other day at my mum's she had cow's milk for her afternoon bottle as my mum ran out of formula and she drank more than usual, so I think we are going to replace one feed at a time, just keeping her on the evening feed of formula until the weather gets warmer and there are fewer bugs around (weird logic I know, but I worry that if she is not eating well for any reason she might pick up more bugs if she doesn't get all her vitamins).

She has about 6oz in the morning, 3-4oz in the afternoon and 6 in the evening, plus three large portions of yoghurt every day and lots of cheese.

Thanks girls thats really helpful. Think we might start introducing milk then. Do I give one complete bottle of milk? no mixing? She only has 2 bottles a day so would morning bottle be best to try it? and will I notice a change in her nappys for a while? I dont like change, but want to do whats 'best'

Daisy drinks about 6oz water at 2 meal times so about 12oz of water a day x

I switched my oldest to whole milk at one month at the same time that I took his bottles away. I got lucky with him and was able to just switch it all out, no weaning needed. I still have him on whole milk even though he is three years old now, mainly because I don't want to have to buy three different types of milk come June when my youngest turns one. I already have to buy two different types now as the hubs is on Lactaid due to a lactose intorlerance. I never really saw the point of the toddler formula, especially when the kiddos are completely on table food and get pleny of nurtients through a varied diet. Good luck with your switch, I hope it goes smoothly for you.

if she'll drink toddler milk then give her that, rhys is still on toddler milk but i give him 4oz toddler milk and cool it down with full fat cows milk,

alot of people stick to toddlers some move straight to cows, i did an in between lol.

nothings set in stone really

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"