Milk blister

littlestar85

Wife and mother
Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed my left breast was getting fuller than usual. LO does prefer the right side so I assumed that during the night he's just sticking to the right one. However the last few days my nipple has been really sore when he's feeding. He did bite me really hard at some point in his sleep a few days ago and I literally had to force my nipple out of his teeth as even putting my finger between the gums didn't loosen them! Anyway, since then it's been really sore for the duration of any feed on that side and today I noticed a white blister on the nipple. I read the Kellymom advice on what to do but I just wondered if anyone else has dealt with a blister quickly and easily?

Hi there, my sympathies go out to you. I had one of these the other week and it brought tears to my eyes just thinking of LO having to feed from the affected breast. I was about to pierce the blister to help it on its way but by then LO had popped it himself during feeding. Try changing feeding position and see if that helps. It takes a little while for the soreness to go once the blister pops but it will so keep at it.

Thanku! :) I tried to pop it earlier but it's rock solid :-S

LO bit down hard on it earlier and dragged his teeth along it (lovely! Lol) and I was praying that would have popped it but no luck :-( Since then tiny drops of milk are squeezing past it but there's definitely a hard milk plug there! Expressed on and off for a couple of hours after LO went to sleep last night and will do the same tonight I guess.

So sore! :-(

Try sitting in a hot bath and alternately applying hot and cold flannels to it ... the blister itself is bad enough but your description of a 'hard plug' is making me think blocked duct and the hot and cold poultices might shift that :hugs:

If you can bear to, then soaping the breast and nipple well and running a fine toothed comb gently downwards over it would also help to clear any blockage

You could try using a nipple shield to reduce the pain when he is nursing as well :thumbup:

Thanks TattiesMum. Unfortunately we don't have a bathtub, but I'm hoping long hot showers will do the same. Will give the flannels and comb a try too - can't be more painful than teeth! Lol. X x X

If it is a blocked duct then the comb treatment works wonders :thumbup: It's a trick I was taught by a NCT BF counsellor :flower:

Good luck and hope it clears soon :hugs: Comb is definitely less painful than teeth :haha:

I had one of these and it seems to have gone. I tried to bathe it with a hot water & Epsom salts solution before LO fed. it was extremely painful but like most nipple/boob issues, the key is to feed through it and I think that's what got rid of it in the end.

Good luck! X

Sounds painful! I had this, caused by a blocked duct with my second eldest, I started getting fluey symptoms during the night and was worried it was turning into mastitis so I went on a mad flurry of combing my boob with an afro comb, massaging it in a warm bath, feeding him as much as possible and expressing using my electric pump for a very long time after nothing was coming out. Finally while expressing a big lump of white cheesy looking stuff came out and by the morning I felt 100% better xx

Sounds painful! I had this, caused by a blocked duct with my second eldest, I started getting fluey symptoms during the night and was worried it was turning into mastitis so I went on a mad flurry of combing my boob with an afro comb, massaging it in a warm bath, feeding him as much as possible and expressing using my electric pump for a very long time after nothing was coming out. Finally while expressing a big lump of white cheesy looking stuff came out and by the morning I felt 100% better xx

I'm hoping all the above will work too! It's reduced in size a bit today - LO woke a few times in the night so I fed him only from that side and luckily he was really going for it and it felt like he was managing to pull milk past the blockage IYKWIM and by the morning it was about a third smaller than yesterday.

He's asleep on that boob now and I'm delaying putting him in bed as he's still nibbling on it so I'm hoping he'll loosen it LOL! Planning a hot shower afterwrads and will ttry the comb thing again.

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"