Milk has come in please help

storm4mozza

Mom of 3 :)
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I just gave birth to my third child 4 days ago and my milk came in yesterday, I never had milk come in with other two children so was shaken when I felt lumps in my breasts.

I am going to formula feed and know it can take a while for milk to dry out, but I needed some advice on how to cope with the pain until it does? They are so tender it feels like I have rounders balls in my boobs :/

The lumps and bumps and normal but are horrible. Wearing a good fitting but comfortable bra and taking painkillers are the best thing for it. Ice packs can be needed if you are really uncomfortable and if you feel you are exceptionally engorged then you can hand express a little milk for some relief. but only a little as expressing too much can encourage your body to make more x

Thanks so much, what pain relief would you suggest? I only have paracetamol at home right now :/

Would it possibly help to pump a little out and store, baby can have it along with formula, it may take a little longer for it to dry up but would be possibly less uncomfortable over the period? :)

Paracetamol is fine, just take it regularly to maintain the relief. It's perfectly safe to take after birth so all good x

Would it possibly help to pump a little out and store, baby can have it along with formula, it may take a little longer for it to dry up but would be possibly less uncomfortable over the period? :)

Not got a pump trying to grin and bear it, will take paracetamol thanks, girls

xx

i'd look up how to hand express just to take the edge off, but as pp said don't do too much or your body will think you need the milk

Taking a hot shower always helped me when I got really engorged. If needed hand express a little when its really bad. I would do this right before bed because I couldn't handle trying to sleep with them super engorged.

Put cabbage leaves in your bra. I know it sounds bizarre but it works!

I second cabbage leaves. Keep them in the fridge. I was advised not to express. and take paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Hot showers to soften them up (you may find you leak during them)
Cabbage leaves as others have said

Think it will be pretty painful for a few days, best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->