Milton Keynes Hospital scares me!

LorelaiLana

Reaction score
I dread getting my Milton Keynes local newspaper. They always carry a bad story of things gone wrong with a baby almost every week or every other week for sure. This weeks paper was no different. A Little baby boy was taken there sick and he died in 3 days. And the recent one in London Metro also scared me that tey denied a mother pain management and not monitor the baby's heartbeat and the baby died.

I am so double minded on whether to deliver my baby in MK hospital or go to another hospital which is 45 min away and I have never been there.

I am really really scared and dont know what to do.

I really dont think they will be able to take care of the baby if its born just after viable date.

I really dont think they will be able to take care of the baby if its born needing immediate attention.

I an convinced that they will be deny me epidural until too late and then say its too late.

Over all I am really really really scared.

This is my first baby and I am 33 yrs old and I DONT want anything to happen to our sweet lil future becuase of imcompetent/lazy midwives and hopsital staff.

Anyone with a good positive Milton Keynes story, PLEASE share...It might help put my mind at ease. Thanks a bunch for your time.

I really dont think its the hormone or paranoia. Its just considering all the facts the conclusion I can reach is that the hospital is not comptetant!.

I would feel the same if i had heard horror stories about my hospital :(
Have you thought about a home birth?xx

Thanks for replying.

No I am not considering homebirth for 3 reasons

1) Havent really bought into the Midwive lead care.
( I think they are glorified citizens, they are not even fully qualified nurses.
Personally feel like they are the old wives in villages.
I know not many feel this way, dont mind being chided abt this opinion of mine.
but I dont feel safe with midwives )

2) If something goes wrong then I have to get to the hospital and PRECIOUS time will be wasted in the call-wait-transit-wait to checkin and all that. Dont have the heart to handle it all that wait if my baby is in trouble.

3) I will most certainly need an epidural. I am not a heroic mom who can go with TENS and gas and air or just pethidine.

I dont think there is any advantage in home birth and think all the touted advantages are too foksy for me to buy into it!.

Sorry if thats not your opinion.

milton keynes is not the best hospital at all,I would find an alternative if I was you or go home birth.

I have a BnB friend on here from the UK who switched hospitals after 30 weeks and she was glad she did....maybe you can tour the Milton Keynes ward and then the other ward and see what you think. Good luck!

Btw, I'm kind of with you...I only see midwives and I wish I had an actual doctor!

Thanks. Do you know where your friend switched to? Is it Stoke Mandiville?

hun in my personal experience if i had been at home when complications arose with ds1 it would have taken me less time to get to the hospital and be seen than it did being in the hospital even for an emergancy c-section is highly unlikely that you could be in theatre within 30 min from that decision being made due to hospital procedures and getting the right staff to the right places, if you had to transfer from home then all those things would be happening while you were on your way in anyway and its unlikely that it would take any longer to get the treatment needed. but thats my opinion

i would be trying to change hospitals if mine had a bad rep for maternity and newborn care , thankfully my chosen hospital although not my nearest to where we currently live has a very good care level and good facilitys

Hi. Just popping in from 3rd tri. I live in mk and will be giving birth to my second child there pretty soon!

I know how bad the reputation is at the maternity ward... And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned after all I have read. But from what I have seen recently in the media, the care has improved. It reached rock bottom just after my son was born ( he is 4 now ) and since then it has had no choice but to improve as there has been a lot of media as well as medical intervention and attention.

My sons birth at the hospital, was ok if I'm honest. There were a couple of things I could make a deal of, but I don't think they would be any worse than what would happen at another busy maternity ward. I ended up with a c section due to failure to progress at the pushing stage ( he was a big baby! ) and the one thing I would say is that the after care I received was great, no complaints at all on that score.

I think that one of the best things you can do is prepare yourself as much as possible about what could happen during your labour. Be prepared to ask and question the decisions that midwives may make for you during the delivery process. Oh, and stay at home for as long as you can possibly can when you are in labour! I managed to get to 8cms before getting to hospital and on the gas and air... It made the whole experience go a lot quicker.

I hope that you can relax a little about your experience, if you go ahead and decide to birth at mk. If you are anxious, it will make things a lot harder.

Good luck with it all :hugs:

i would switch, i am considering switching to a hospital about the same distance away, will wait and see what my consultant says but my MW has not left me feeling positive about twin care in this trust.

anyway, my last hospital was over 40 miles away so i am not too bothered about distance. good luck x

Thats a very rude comment about midwives... how dare you. Theyve went through years of training on PREGNANCY AND INFANTS ONLY and you say they're not qualified enough? ridiculous.

Sorry but ive heard nothing good about MK General, one of the girls on here watched a woman give birth on the floor right next to her :shock:

also, why do you even need to ask if you're that sure the hospital is that terrible? Just switch!

Plenty of ladies from MK give birth at Stoke Mandeville, if you have this many doubts about it I would just look into making the switch :shrug:

My sister has had both her babies (her 2nd born today) at MK hospital. Both times she has found it fine and had no issues... However today she was approached by Panorama who were at the hospital and they asked if she would be interviewed for the programme, she declined!

xx

Thanks JakeMyBaby!
Nice to see someone confident to go back to MK Hospital for their next!

Thats the thing, there are so many things that can go wrong and I am not a medical professional to know all the situation and ask and discern if they are doing it right. Basic things I can make sure they are doing what they need to be doing. But if its a complicated situation.

More than that if I am not 100% I dont think my husband is assertive enough to ask the midwives and docs what they are doing, if correct. He will listen to EVERYONE whoever speaks either sweetly and confidently to him or assertively and rush him. I am not sure . Same with me as well. We both hate confrontation. And I am totally afraid that I will make the doc and midwife cross with me with all the followup questions and checking. Dont want to be the miss.know-it-all and piss them off leading to my baby getting not even the default care.

I really want a peaceful, cooperative, uneccessarily painless delivery and after care.

God! I am so worried in so many levels!

blah11 -> There is not even a minimum qualification to become a midwife.
And one expects us to trust our lives and more than that our precious little babies lives to them at the most critical and vulnerable time?

Doctors Yes! Midwives No!

https://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=1943

as someone who works in a hospital, id trust a mw or a nurse over a doctor.

midwifery is a damn hard course to get onto.

Thanks baby.love! I am glad to hear a positive story! Thanks for sharing!
Approached by Panorama! Wow! They must have something to expose then!
Hmmm! Shd make sure I checkout that program each week then!

I'm giving birth at Stoke but I only like 5mins away =D I can't say I've heard the best reviews about Mk hospital but my manager had both her babies there 1 only 6months ago and she got on fine despite havin a complicated birth tho no fault of the hospital x

blah11 -> Thanks for sharing your opinion! You have an insiders view of the workings and hence confident! But general public dont and they go by whatever they can base their opinions on , hence the varied opinions! Mine is based on my research and personal dealings with my midwife and others in the forumn. We need to hear more from the insiders like you!

I am glad for the ones who manage to pass and are practicising. Good for them! But they are just not for me! But the fact of the matter is we got to deal with them as the first line of support! I would be happy if the doc is the first line of support and the MW make the highly knowledgable assistants to doctors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->