Miscarriage risk drop .. at 12 weeks or end of 12th week?

HappyWife90

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm hoping to be able to semi-relax about miscarriage. I am 12 weeks tomorrow, but I know that the first tri doesn't really end until at least 13 weeks. Just wondering how to interpret the 12 week statistic .. whether the risk drops at the beginning or end of the week. Thank you!

It gradually just gets less & less.

The lowest risk is after first trimester, so I'd say 13 weeks +

There isn't a specific day that risk just drops. Most mcs happen in the first tri but just seeing a hb on a scan indicates less chance of mc.

Unfortunately tho, not time is 'safe' x

Hi ladies, I'm hoping to be able to semi-relax about miscarriage. I am 12 weeks tomorrow, but I know that the first tri doesn't really end until at least 13 weeks. Just wondering how to interpret the 12 week statistic .. whether the risk drops at the beginning or end of the week. Thank you!

if you have had a scan, and all looked well with a good heartbeat, your chance of miscarriage is very, very low. there is no safe point though, until that baby is born healthy and screaming :thumbup::baby:

A heartbeat after 7/8 weeks significantly reduces the risk, once you're past 12 weeks it drops even further due to the main points of development being completed.

12 weeks is mentioned so often because it is standard policy in most places to do the first scan at 12 weeks so thats when miscarriages are discovered often. In actuality a lot of these miscarriages have happened before 12 weeks and are only discovered at these 12 week scans. As a previous poster mentioned once the heartbeat is detected the chance for miscarriage drops significantly and that seems to be the gold standard for all the doctors and RE's I have spoke with. H&H 9 (or should I say 6 months :)

There isn't a specific day that risk just drops. Most mcs happen in the first tri but just seeing a hb on a scan indicates less chance of mc.

Unfortunately tho, not time is 'safe' x

Unfortunately not. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back