• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Misconception about caffeine during pregnancy

Mabv812

Reaction score
It's been my understanding with both my pregnancies that 200mg of caffeine per day was fine during pregnancy. But every time I drink coffee I Always get comments. Oh you aren't supposed to drink coffee or I thought you weren't allowed coffee?.... It's getting really old. Baby is doing just fine .

I didn't know that rule but sounds like you've done your research, I think it's just a matter of opinion to be honest. Personally, I don't drink coffee or tea when pregnant but then I also wouldn't drink fizzy juice when pregnant and I'm sure loads of people do that too.

Unless you've got whisky in your coffee then it's none of their business what your drinking. Ignore them.

I'm the same .. 200mg is actually quite a bit so I feel fine having 1 most days ... people are annoying! I've switched to decaf tea but my household drinks decaf anyway!

It's only an issue if you have loads a day because it can cause babies to be born smaller from what I've read but as long as we stick to the guidelines I think we will be fine

People aren't busy bodies and need to be told to butt out.

1-2 cups of coffee a day is absolutely fine and won't make any difference to your pregnancy. If you were having 4-5 a day, then sure, I can see why someone would mention it, but even then it's really none of their business.

I've had 1-2 coffees every day of all of my pregnancies and my babies have been absolutely fine and not born small either!

I still drink caffeine. I have one Diet Coke a day (I know not the best for you, but it could be worse). My midwife said I could have up to five cokes a day and be fine.

I have had people offer me a coffee or tea while pregnant and then say, "Oh no, you can't have that, can you?" 😂

I still drink two cups of tea a day. It's Fine!

Totally fine!!! I haven't had caffeine while pregnant but that's personal choice as I'm sensitive to caffeine. Gives me the jitters and heart palpitations, even just a little bit! But a little caffeine is totally acceptable!!

People always wanna butt in and judge parenting, even before you've even given birth. Crazy!!!!! Enjoy your darned coffee, and tell them to shush. lol

Ugh I hate when people say that!! Definitely a total misconception, a couple of cups a day is more than fine. Coffee cheers to you lol!

Definitely still having my one morning coffee daily and sometimes an afternoon tea. I need it while still working full time, especially after getting up to pee 4 times a night :)

I have about 4 half cups of tea easily a day again I treat myself to chocolate and the odd coke if I'm craving it. I was so strict with my first and didn't have any. Everything in moderation x

I think it's easier for people to think in black and white, good and bad foods. The reality is that it's all a very grey area and there are few things that are 'bad' in pregnancy in an absolute sense. Plus the science is always changing. With my first and with this baby, I limited my caffeine to 1-2 coffees a day. I never have more than 2, but often I do have 2 or a coffee and a tea, which probably brings me to or around the 200mg mark most days. Most research on caffeine in pregnancy though doesn't point to any significant risk until you are having significantly more than that on a daily basis. I think when I looked at one of the studies when I was pregnant with my daughter, it was something like 6-9 cups of coffee a day. I think that would kill me first before it would have any time to do any harm to my baby! But most things in moderation are fine. The only thing I have absolutely avoided in any of my pregnancies oddly has been liver/pate. I ate runny eggs (which the guidance says is fine in the UK now anyway). I eat all kinds of cheese and meats. I even have the rare small alcoholic drink a couple times (we went out for a really nice dinner about a month ago and I had a glass of prosecco, it was wonderful!).

I think it's easier for people to think in black and white, good and bad foods. The reality is that it's all a very grey area and there are few things that are 'bad' in pregnancy in an absolute sense. Plus the science is always changing. With my first and with this baby, I limited my caffeine to 1-2 coffees a day. I never have more than 2, but often I do have 2 or a coffee and a tea, which probably brings me to or around the 200mg mark most days. Most research on caffeine in pregnancy though doesn't point to any significant risk until you are having significantly more than that on a daily basis. I think when I looked at one of the studies when I was pregnant with my daughter, it was something like 6-9 cups of coffee a day. I think that would kill me first before it would have any time to do any harm to my baby! But most things in moderation are fine. The only thing I have absolutely avoided in any of my pregnancies oddly has been liver/pate. I ate runny eggs (which the guidance says is fine in the UK now anyway). I eat all kinds of cheese and meats. I even have the rare small alcoholic drink a couple times (we went out for a really nice dinner about a month ago and I had a glass of prosecco, it was wonderful!).

Same. I don't usually drink a lot of caffeine anyway because it gives me the jitters, but I've been having some things on the "no" list. A rare small glass of wine, runny eggs (I eat these every week), soft cheese... I honestly haven't changed my eating habits much. I drink a couple cups of tea every day but it's generally decaf.

Also, do people really eat liver? Does it taste good? Sounds yucky but I imagine I could be off-base here! :haha: Although I guess liver sausage is good?

Hmm alcohol that's my only No no only because I have no self control and would finding it hard to limit to a glass oh and liver/pate. I remember my midwife saying it would take an extreme amount daily of caffeine to be really harmful. When you think back to 60 odd years ago women were drinking lots of tea and smoking and did all sorts x.

People think that a woman being pregnant gives them the excuse to comment on everything they do. I was rarely a coffee drinker before, but I drank loads and loads of caffeinated tea in pregnancy and my little ones were okay.

My midwife said 2 cups of coffee or 7 cups of tea a day, however i used to drink a lot of coffee and ive cut it down to 3 cups a day, so more than recommended but a lot less for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"