Misdiagnosed miscarriage? UPDATED PG. 2

lilmisscaviar

2 girls, 3 boys
Reaction score
I posted earlier that my midwife told me today to expect the worst. I had a beta done and my levels came back that they were still rising. What she couldn't explain was why my levels were so high if there was no heartbeat and so she confirmed my pregnancy as a "blighted ovum".

My hcg levels were running on the lower side for me but still within "normal" range for the weeks I am at which could explain my lack of symptoms. I have not had much symptom-wise with this pregnancy. Typically I have full blown HG (severe morning sickness) by now but this time all I've had was a sour taste in my mouth.

I have only had two bouts of bleeding... some brown spotting after a transvaginal ultrasound and a gush of bright red blood that came as quickly as it went. Nothing since. No cramping either.

I had a scan done at what was supposed to be 7 weeks exactly. We saw a gestational sac measuring 6w6d and a big round yolk sac. Hcg levels were at 29,000.

Fast forward to today at 7w6d when I had my second ultrasound. The gestational sac didn't grow much but we did see a baby this time, however the baby didn't have a heartbeat and was only measuring 6w3d. Hcg levels were now at 41,000 so they hadn't doubled but were still slowly rising.

I don't know if I'm just in denial or what but I have a nagging feeling in my heart that truly believes this baby still has a chance (after all it went from just a yolk sac to a baby and a yolk in a week) so what I'm wondering is if any of you have had a misdiagnosed miscarriage or what are your thoughts on the situation?

I'm so sorry you are going through this :hugs: I've never been in that situation but I wouldn't give up on baby just yet. I have heard many stories where baby's growth is behind but they catch up so you never know. I certainly wouldn't do anything to help the miscarriage until knowing for sure at least. That's quite a bit of change in a week. Could your dates be off at all? Baby does seem way behind but the fact it's growing is good I tj. I wish you all the best and I pray you have a good outcome :flower:

I would give it some time as there was still some progress.

A gestational sac with a yolk sac would not be correctly classified as a blighted ovum. The fact that there's some progression tells me that there still could be a chance, that maybe baby is just a little behind (or maybe that you implanted a little later and/or baby is a slow starter).

If you google misdiagnosed miscarriage, you'll find a website that has a lot of women in this position where they had higher hcg levels, even around 7 - 10 weeks, and within a few days to a few weeks had a baby with a heartbeat.

If baby is really only measuring 6+3, it could still just be slightly too early to be absolutely sure it's not viable. For piece of mind, I honestly would give it a little more time and ask for another scan before you make any decisions just to make sure the diagnosis is correct (or incorrect). I had levels over 18,000 at 6+1; measured 3 days behind and only had an empty sac. Baby just needed a little time to catch up. My doctor's office just said give it some more time. We gave it another 10 days and it showed everything was fine.

I know my situation was a little different than yours, but all pregnancies aren't textbook. I would give it some more time :hugs:

Yes if it were a blighted ovum, it would only be an empty gestational sac and nothing else. Def give some more time as it seems like things are still progressing. Some babies are just slower than others in the first weeks. Some havent seen a hb until 8 weeks.

i second what the pps said! you can't classify your situation as a blighted ovum as that should be just an empty sack, but you have a yolk PLUS A BABY in there so no chance it can be a BO.

and even the most sensitive ultrasound is really unreliable in early pregnancy, they can be off by a week easily and a day or two really makes a huge difference when it is so early on. if i were you i'd demand another scan in a week or so before taking any decision in terms of medical management of a miscarriage, because as it sounds now, it can as well turn out completely fine.

I'm so sorry, I'm just trying to catch up this week!! I wouldn't give up hope yet hun, give it some more time!!! :hugs:

I have no idea but thoughts r with u hun n keepin everythink crossed for u xx

Thank you all for your input. It made me feel better :) I thought the same when she told me BO... I always thought they were just an empty sac. I do have a tilted uterus. I don't know if that can throw off measurements in any way, as it looked to me like baby was implanted near the top middle of my uterus, but the fact that there are signs of life, and looked like there was growth in that short time makes me wonder if baby is just a slow grower and that I was diagnosed too soon. Given my history of pregnancy loss, it sounds like she was just trying to diagnose me with something because she doesn't know what is going on and prepare me for the worst. I hate to give up on her because she delivered my two other children but it sounds like she is trying to give up on me so I am going to a different office tomorrow, one that deals with high risk pregnancies and see what they tell me. I'm going to hang on to a glimmer of hope that there is still a living baby in there. Besides, it is not over until the bleeding starts.

Didn't want to R&R; sending you positive thoughts! Hope tomorrow brings you happy news!

A tilted uterus CAN actually contribute to a misdiagnosed miscarriage because it can make it more difficult to get proper measurements early on. In fact, I think the misdiagnosed miscarriage website even mentions that, and a good portion of those women on there have a tilted uterus.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you tomorrow. It sounds like a second opinion is probably a good idea. I'm all for doctors being realistic about the possibilities, but at the same time, I don't think it's fair for them to start mentioning miscarriage until it's very likely. I hate when doctors start talking miscarriage like this when there's nothing to strongly support it and cause unnecessary stress and grief.

:hugs:

Thank you, spunky. I agree completely. I went to that website you mentioned and I am absolutely in shock of how many women were diagnosed with miscarriage early only to find out that actually were carrying viable pregnancies. You wonder how many go through D&Cs for diagnosed miscarriages when there pregnancies were actually viable. That would be awful :( I also found out that the lady who owns that website has her own blog with information about blighted ovums. The link is: https://carikay11.hubpages.com/hub/blightedova. She says on her blog that if you are diagnosed before 9 weeks, you are being diagnosed too soon. I don't really see how she can tell me it is a miscarriage with no other worrisome signs and some growth shown on ultrasound, maybe not as fast as what is average, but as you said not all pregnancies are textbook.

I read that blog, too, many times when I was worried. I wasn't told anything was wrong or abnormal. I took it upon myself to make assumptions :haha: but I was worried because my levels were so high with an empty sac. Everything else on the internet said by that point it should have shown a fetal pole with a heartbeat.

It really is scary how many women are misdiagnosed with a miscarriage and end up with a D&C. One of the women from the website had a failed D&C (D&C because of miscarriage dx) and went on to have her baby! The thought of that makes me ill and makes me wonder how many others that has happened to with a successful D&C.

Unless you're far enough along and have an empty sac / an embryo without a heartbeat (far enough along with ultrasound confirmation) or dropping hcg levels, I don't see how a miscarriage can be diagnosed. Threatened miscarriage maybe, but I think some providers jump the gun. During early first trimester, there are so many variables where days can make a difference. The shape/tilt of a uterus can make a difference. I just don't understand why they are so quick to diagnose when it shouldn't be diagnosed until 9 weeks + (unless levels are dropping and whatnot).

I'm really anxious to see how this plays out for you and am hoping for the best. :hugs:

I have a retroverted uterus and they told me my 3dd wasn't a viable pregnancy. And I went back 7 days later and there she was. And my hcg was 32,000 and there wasn't even a yolk sac next to the sac. Good luck Hun! x

I agree with the other ladies. Wait and get another scan and opinion! You're so early. Hope you get some good news :)

I agree with the other ladies. I do not understwnd why they had to trll you that, imo a threatened miscarriage I can understand, but this will only cause extra stress to you which is not good.

Wishing for a good outcome <3

How have you been doing? How'd your appointment go?

Thinking of you :hugs:

Hello, ladies. I just wanted to update and let you all know that I can safely say I miscarried. :cry:

On Saturday I had a terrible headache. I only get headaches when my hormones change drastically so that should have been my first sign. All day Sunday I was having cramping on and off, like menstrual cramping. Finally about 11 PM I started feeling really dizzy and felt the cramping become stronger. They began to come in waves like labor contractions except not as strong. About midnight I decided to lay down. As soon as I did, I felt hot, shaky, very nauseated, and sick to my stomach. I also felt the need to poo.

I went into the bathroom and bore down like I had to go (sorry for the tmi). I kept trying and trying to no avail. Thinking I was constipated I put my feet up on a stool and leaned back trying as hard as I possibly could to get it out. Instead of what I was expecting, I felt a big gush of water. Tried again and another big gush came out. When I looked in the toilet, all I saw was bloody water. When I wiped there were some red bloody mini clots and fresh blood on the toilet paper. It was over.

I haven't had much bleeding since, just some spotting here and there so I believe the worst is over. I'm still cramping but this could be from my uterus shrinking back to its original size. I'm sorry for being so graphic but I see lots of ladies wondering if they are indeed miscarrying so I thought I would post my symptoms to help those in limbo although I pray none of you have to ever go through this experience. I'm devastated. No words can describe how I feel right now. I literally feel empty, both emotionally and physically.

So sorry. We were all hoping for a happy outcome :( thank you for posting your experience for other women....that's so incredibly generous of you when all you must feel like doing is shutting the experience away. Nothing is tmi on this forum. Again, so sorry. Please take care of yourself xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"