Missing birth control pill

ja14

Reaction score
Hello, ladies! I just wanted to ask for insight on your thoughts & opinions!

I'll try to keep it as short as possible :) .. I missed about three pills mid-pack. I say "about 3", because one day I was sick & I don't think that pill stayed with me.

Anyways, since then I have spotted for 15 (and counting!) days. It has been very light, and at times I thought it was stopping. It isn't as light as just when wiping, but still nothing near a regular period.

It's not accompanied with any cramping or alarming symptoms other than the time it's lasted. I understand spotting is normal, but is two weeks normal!?

I continued taking my pills (the brand tri sprintec), and just finished the first week of the pack.

I know this would be a good thing to call a doctor about, but I currently don't have a doctor of my own. Previously, I went to my university health city, because the price was included it tuition, but I no longer attend.

Hey! First off I'm no doctor, so the best advice really would be to find a Dr. and speak to them. Was it the university that prescribed the pills? Whoever prescribed them should be able to talk to you even if you don't go there anymore I would think.

I know it's too late now, but always, always read your pill packets about what to do when you miss a pill. It varies by the type of pill, how many and what week you missed them in, but I was able to find this about yours:

"If you miss two "active" pills in a row in week three, or if you miss three pills in a row during any of the first 3 weeks, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new one the same day if you are a Day 1 starter. If you are a Sunday starter, keep taking a pill every day until Sunday. On Sunday, throw out the rest of the pack and start a new one that day. If you miss two or more pills, you may not have a period during the month. If you miss a period for two months in a row, call your doctor because you might be pregnant."

Obviously doesn't help you now, but that's what you should have done. I'm sure your body is just very confused right now and it could take a cycle for things to return to normal. If the spotting continues I would try to contact a Dr. though just for advice. Remember to use back up birth control (condoms, etc.) for the next month or so as you may not be protected by your pill anymore!!

ive heard that if you miss 2/3 pills then you can spot right up to your next period!
i agree with PP though, use a back up contraceptive (e.g.condoms) till your next cycle to be sure!

you should use extra precautions for 7 days after you restart your pill and if you are jess than 7 days of the end of your packet start the next pack straight away. Might also be worth taking a pregnancy test in a few weeks to be extra sure. Most likely the spotting it's due to the disruption to your pills and nothing more

I didn't immediately start a new pack, I continued the third weeks pack because I was out of town, but I did skip the placebo week. I'm already on my second week of my new pack. I also took a pregnancy test when I thought it to be an appropriate time, and they were negative. I think at this point I should be protected because I'm more than a week into the new pack, and when you first begin pills that's when you're supposed to be safe.
With that being said, I figure the hormones would be built up enough to stop the bleeding. Is it abnormal to still be spotting this long after missed pills?

Sounds like your fine then, sometimes two packs in a row can cause breakthrough bleeding

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->